Upgraded without status

Old October 6th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Dennis G. Rears

Default Upgraded without status

I have had friends who are infreqent flyers (a round trip or less a year)
who because of oversold reservations have been upgraded to BC on INTL trips
for free. I am surprised that that they have been upgraded as nonstatus non
FF people. I would think they would check out the whole cabin for people
who had some status? This is USA citizens on LH.
Can anyone shed some light why this would happen?

dennis

Old October 6th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Geoff Glave

I have had friends who are infreqent flyers (a round trip or less a
year)
who because of oversold reservations have been upgraded to BC on INTL

trips
for free. I am surprised that that they have been upgraded as nonstatus

non
FF people. I would think they would check out the whole cabin for people
who had some status? This is USA citizens on LH.
Can anyone shed some light why this would happen?

This has happened to my father on a couple of occasions on transatlantic
flights. I think if the flight is oversold, they need to free up some seats
in steerage, and they've already upgraded all the "status" people they start
picking others. My dad always looks "presentable," which I think goes a
long way. It's also happened to me twice domestically. In both cases I was
wearing a suit and tie - Again, looking "presentable."

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old October 6th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Miguel Cruz

Geoff Glave -r-g wrote:
This has happened to my father on a couple of occasions on transatlantic
flights. I think if the flight is oversold, they need to free up some
seats in steerage, and they've already upgraded all the "status" people
they start picking others. My dad always looks "presentable," which I
think goes a long way. It's also happened to me twice domestically. In
both cases I was wearing a suit and tie - Again, looking "presentable."

I have never in my life flown wearing a suit and tie and have been upgraded
without any special status on many occasions. Being friendly and polite
helps as much as spending money on fancy threads, I think.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Old October 6th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Dennis G. Rears" wrote:

I have had friends who are infreqent flyers (a round trip or less a year)
who because of oversold reservations have been upgraded to BC on INTL trips
for free. I am surprised that that they have been upgraded as nonstatus non
FF people. I would think they would check out the whole cabin for people
who had some status? This is USA citizens on LH.
Can anyone shed some light why this would happen?

On some airlines, it's more frequent that others. BA is anecdotally
more likely to upgrade a non member, let alone no status, than a top
tier member. AA is, on the other hand, very good about upgrading those
with status.
Old October 6th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Dave Proctor

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 02:44:59 GMT, "Dennis G. Rears"
wrote:

I have had friends who are infreqent flyers (a round trip or less a year)
who because of oversold reservations have been upgraded to BC on INTL trips
for free. I am surprised that that they have been upgraded as nonstatus non
FF people. I would think they would check out the whole cabin for people
who had some status? This is USA citizens on LH.
Can anyone shed some light why this would happen?

They are trying to win over the non-members/non-status flyers - think
about it, you have been upgraded, you feel all warm and fuzzy, who are
you going to fly with next time?

Dave
Old October 6th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Jim Ley

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 20:13:54 +1000, Dave Proctor
wrote:

They are trying to win over the non-members/non-status flyers - think
about it, you have been upgraded, you feel all warm and fuzzy, who are
you going to fly with next time?

Whoever's cheapest same as I did last time... being upgraded has
never made any difference to my flight choices, and I can't see why it
would, sure BC is nice, but for me it's definately not worth the
money, and it's definately not worth trying to play games and picking
an airline where you might have a better chance.

I'd've thought the airline check-in folk don't care who they upgrade,
they just need the seats, the first person who comes along who's nice
and friendly will probably get it. What's their interest in doing
anything else?

Jim.
Old October 6th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Robert Sawatsky

I've been upgraded a couple of times on oversold flights without
having any FF status other than being a basic member. However, one
time I didn't get my FF # on the reservation and couldn't get a seat
assignement at check-in. Went to wait at the gate and checked with an
agent there - nope no seat available yet, until I gave them my FF # at
which point a seat in Business Class miraculously became available.
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:56 AM
blib

I have had friends who are infreqent flyers (a round trip or less a
year)
who because of oversold reservations have been upgraded to BC on INTL

trips
for free. I am surprised that that they have been upgraded as nonstatus

non
FF people. I would think they would check out the whole cabin for people
who had some status? This is USA citizens on LH.
Can anyone shed some light why this would happen?

This happened to us when flying VS LHR-SFO. We were late checking in and
Myself and my wife couldn't be seated together in scum class. I kicked up a
bit of a fuss, and we were ungraded to Premium Economy.

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:05 PM
stephen

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote:

I have had friends who are infreqent flyers (a round trip or less a year)
who because of oversold reservations have been upgraded to BC on INTL trips
for free. I am surprised that that they have been upgraded as nonstatus non
FF people. I would think they would check out the whole cabin for people
who had some status? This is USA citizens on LH.
Can anyone shed some light why this would happen?

If the BS seats became available due to a no show, the plane may have
already boarded, except for those without seat assignments.

Hense non-status passengers luck out.

--
Stephen

There were no weapons of mass destruction, just words of mass deception.