Access America Travel Insurance, Not helping!

Old October 13th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Default Access America Travel Insurance, Not helping!

Hi group.
I try to make this short. (Did not work!)
At the end of June I had to go to Sweden, for my moms funeral. It was
delayed until July 20, after I got over thee, due to people being on
vacations, all over the world.
Anyway, after working day and night, with my sister, tying to get
everything moved out of my moms home and making arrangements here and
there, jet lag and not being able to sleep and being an old timer, on
July 15 I suffered a heart attack and had to be ambulanced to the
hospital and I had to have Angioplasty and have two Stents put in. This
took place at Lunds hospital, in Sweden and I had to stay there for five
days and I missed my moms funeral, plus I had to stay put for three
weeks and was not able to fly back home as scheduled, on July21.
I finally got the return flight changed, with SAS and United, from
July21 to Aug. 12, SAS and United were good about this
and just changed the dates- no extra charge!
About ten days after I got back to Miami, I had a bill from the hospital
in Sweden, in the amount of around $13400.00 (103000.00 SEK) I also had
to pay for Medications, over there $214.00 (1603.00SEK)- I was glad
that I had taken out travel Medical insurance from Access America! I
thought!!
I sent in the claim form and all the receipts and hospital bill, on
Aug.26/05
After two weeks I received a letter from them telling me that they need
more info. and that I will have to file the claim with my Medicare
provider.
I did this and did not hear from them for two weeks- I sent them a
letter asking what was going on with my claim. I got another letter a
week later telling me that I need to send them more info!- I don't have
any more info.!!- Why don't they communicate with my Medicare provider
and work with them on any info. that they may need!? The only thing that
I have not sent them, is the "big insurance book"!
I think that these people are just stalling and are trying to make
things so difficult for me, that I will just give up on my claim!!- I
had to send the hospital the payment, out of my own pocket, if not, they
would start adding 8% interest to it!
I don't know what else to do to get Access America to help me out here!
If anyone, in this fine group, have any suggestions or ideas, please
let me know!
It will all be appreciated!
Sorry about the long post.
Thanks
BN

Old October 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

wrote in message
Hi group.

About ten days after I got back to Miami, I had a bill from the hospital
in Sweden, in the amount of around $13400.00 (103000.00 SEK) I also had
to pay for Medications, over there $214.00 (1603.00SEK)- I was glad
that I had taken out travel Medical insurance

Actually, I think that this bill is very reasonable.
How much would it have cost in Miami

I think that these people are just stalling and are trying to make
things so difficult for me, that I will just give up on my claim!!

Does your juristriction not have an arbitration
service of some sort that you can refer to

- I
had to send the hospital the payment, out of my own pocket, if not, they
would start adding 8% interest to it!

This was a mistake. This is not your problem.
If the insurannce people delay paying then they
should get to pick up this bill as well.

Presumably this is 8% per annum, it's not exactly
onerous is it.

I don't know what else to do to get Access America to help me out here!
If anyone, in this fine group, have any suggestions or ideas, please
let me know!

what do you normally do when you have a consumer
problem in your country?

tim

Old October 14th, 2005, 02:41 PM

The medical insurance in the Access America policy is "secondary" to
your own insurance plan. What this means is that you first must submit
the claim to your own insurance plan (Medicare and any supplemental
plan). Once they have made a determination then you submit the balance
to the travel insurance company. In the case of Medicare it is well
understood that they do not provide coverage outside of the USA.
However, if you have a supplemental plan they may cover you to a
certain extent and you will have to get there determination first. In
either case make sure you provide the information to Access America as
quickly as possible in order to speed up your claim. One thing you
might want to do is call the adjuster that sent you the letter about
Medicare. They should know that Medicare's coverage is limited to the
USA and shouldn't require you to get a statement from them to that
effect.

Old October 14th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Default Access America Travel Insurance, Not helping! (John Cook)

Thank you John, appreciate your help.
I'll try again and *talk to Access America.
I tried yesterday but I was put on hold for more then 25 minutes and
had to get off the phone. To date, I have sent them three letters.
I don't know why they don't talk to my Medicare supplemental ins.
company direct! I sent in all the bills and info. to both my Medicare
Supplemental Insurance and to Access America- they also got a copy of my
Insurance Card.
I keep trying.
Thanks again.
BN