Munich hotel near old town

Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Michel Corbin

Default Munich hotel near old town

Hello, I have a layover in Munich of about 18 hours and of course I
want to make the best of it. I am looking for recommendations for
reasonably priced (less than 150 euros)hotels. I would rather avoid the
chains (Holiday Inn, Novotel, etc) if possible and because of my
limited time there I would like to be near the old town.

I would also appreciate suggestions on where to eat (supper).

Thanks.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:01 PM
Keith Anderson

On 22 Jun 2005 11:48:25 -0700, "Michel Corbin"
wrote:

Hello, I have a layover in Munich of about 18 hours and of course I
want to make the best of it. I am looking for recommendations for
reasonably priced (less than 150 euros)hotels. I would rather avoid the
chains (Holiday Inn, Novotel, etc) if possible and because of my
limited time there I would like to be near the old town.

I would also appreciate suggestions on where to eat (supper).

Thanks.

http://www.hotel-mueller.inmuenchen....&td_sprache=en

I've used this one a couple of times, but the last time was when I
paid in DM. Prices seem to have rocketed since the € has been
introduced. Seems you might have to insist on one of the lower priced
rooms.

It's down a little side street, so is quiet at night. Both times I had
comfortable rooms and a very good buffet breakfast.

Nevertheless, it's handy for the tram - only a couple of stops to Hbf
main station) and very near Sendlinger Tor underground station.

Plenty of places to eat nearby. I ate at a place with outside tables
by the old gate (Sendlinger Tor).

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Kristina

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:01:04 +0100, Keith Anderson
wrote:

http://www.hotel-mueller.inmuenchen....&td_sprache=en

I've used this one a couple of times, but the last time was when I
paid in DM. Prices seem to have rocketed since the € has been
introduced. Seems you might have to insist on one of the lower priced
rooms.

It's down a little side street, so is quiet at night. Both times I had
comfortable rooms and a very good buffet breakfast.

Nevertheless, it's handy for the tram - only a couple of stops to Hbf
main station) and very near Sendlinger Tor underground station.

Plenty of places to eat nearby. I ate at a place with outside tables
by the old gate (Sendlinger Tor).

Keith, Bristol, UK

Keith ---- this may seem an idiotic question but here goes anyway!
ABout how far is this hotel from Marienplatz? I do not know Munich
well and this will give me a point reference.

Thanks!

Kris
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:08 PM

The Hotel/Pension am Markt is in the center of it all & should be in
your budget. Have fun!

Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:09 PM
Keith Anderson

wrote:

[...]

If you go to

http://www.muenchen.de/home/82221/stadtplan.html

and type in Sendlinger Tor in the Straße Eingeben box and then click
the little arrow to the right, you'll see that it's only a 15 minute
walk to the Marienplatz..

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:10 PM
Alfred Molon

In article . com,=20
Michel Corbin says...
Hello, I have a layover in Munich of about 18 hours and of course I
want to make the best of it. I am looking for recommendations for
reasonably priced (less than 150 euros)hotels. I would rather avoid the
chains (Holiday Inn, Novotel, etc) if possible and because of my
limited time there I would like to be near the old town.

You can book one through http://www5.hrs.de/
=20
I would also appreciate suggestions on where to eat (supper).

Berni's Nudelbrett, behind Marienplatz (ask once there for the exact=20
location) is very good. There is a small Japanese restaurant opposite=20
the Hofbr=E4uhaus which is quite good.=20

Here are some photos of Munich:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Germany/Munich/
--=20

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,=20
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,=20
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:08 AM
Hatunen

wrote:

Hello, I have a layover in Munich of about 18 hours and of course I
want to make the best of it. I am looking for recommendations for
reasonably priced (less than 150 euros)hotels. I would rather avoid the
chains (Holiday Inn, Novotel, etc) if possible and because of my
limited time there I would like to be near the old town.

We stayed at the Ibis City a few blcks north of the train
station.

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/ficheh...he_hotel.shtml

You could walk to the old town, but a tram would be easier.

I would also appreciate suggestions on where to eat (supper).

There's a nice Italian restaurant below the hotel.

Old June 26th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2005-06-22, Michel Corbin wrote:
Hello, I have a layover in Munich of about 18 hours and of course I
want to make the best of it. I am looking for recommendations for
reasonably priced (less than 150 euros)hotels.

A quick search returned 203 hotels, of which only 13 cost more than
150 euro. Finding a hotel in your price range is certainly not a
problem.

One parameter to look for is distance to a station on the main S-bahn
line, for quick access to/from the airport.
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2005-06-22, Hatunen wrote:

We stayed at the Ibis City a few blcks north of the train
station.

There's a nice Italian restaurant below the hotel.

I've actually eaten there, though that was the better part of 10 years ago.
A typical German Italian place, with way too many green peppers on their
pizzas.

Last year I was in a place very close to the Lehel U-bahn station (can't
remember the name, but it was just around the corner from the south-western
exit) that served one of the best pizzas that I've ever tasted. Very good
service too. I felt a bit sorry for the staff, as I was the only eating there.

I hope to give them some of my business again in a few weeks time.