room service on Princess Cruises - fee, or not?

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ohioguy

Default room service on Princess Cruises - fee, or not?

Greetings! My wife and I went out to a nice supper and movie last
night, followed by a couple of episodes of "The Love Boat" when we got
home (1 episode had my wife's favorite - Charro - to her delight) Man,
that brings back memories - I used to watch this show as a kid, along
with Fantasy Island sometimes. The show holds up particularly well,
with a fantastic guest list, good writing, and a theme song that makes
me want to look up the singer to see if he has any CD's available.

Anyway..... it got us thinking about our upcoming week long cruise
on the Caribbean Princess. (now just 28 days away!)

I come from a pretty frugal family, so I was wondering what might be
included on the cruise that I would normally shun? For example, I
thought I read somewhere that room service is included, but I find
rather vague info online when I try to get more details:

"If you order room service, there might be a fee during some hours on
some ships, and the menu is often limited, and all of that will be
outlined in the information folder in your cabin. Also, if you order
room service, please hand a cash tip to the person who brings the food
to you! The custom is $2 for the first person having food delivered, and
an extra $1 or $2 for each additional person getting room service."

I think I would be really tempted to enjoy room service for the first
time in my life, if I knew for certain that there was no fee involved,
other than the tip. Can any of you who have actually been on the
Caribbean Princess shed any light on this for me please? Danke!
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

On 12/11/2010 6:50 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

There will be a room service menu in a binder in your cabin, if you
don't see it just ask your cabin steward. The room service menu is
limited, but mostly free and the extra fee items will be marked with the
price. It is customary to tip the person deliverying your food, not a
lot but base it on how much you order. If you order just coffee I would
give $1 or $2, a full breakfast a little bit more. This is truely a tip
and you can give what you want.

Enjoy your cruise!

sue

Old December 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bob wald

ive never understood tipping..is it you tip so the person wont screw up
ya service....
if so im not going to tip a terrorist.....lol

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ohioguy

There will be a room service menu in a binder in your cabin, if you
don't see it just ask your cabin steward.

This may sound silly, but does anyone happen to have a copy of a
typical Princess room service menu I could take a look at ahead of time?
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

On 12/13/2010 8:23 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
There will be a room service menu in a binder in your cabin, if you
don't see it just ask your cabin steward.

This may sound silly, but does anyone happen to have a copy of a typical
Princess room service menu I could take a look at ahead of time?

You could probably find it on the cruise critic Princess boards, you can
post asking for it or do a search for it. You have to register to post,
but there is no charge. Lots of good info on cruise critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

sue
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 12/13/2010 9:21 AM, Sue Mullen wrote:

On 12/13/2010 8:23 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
There will be a room service menu in a binder in your cabin, if you
don't see it just ask your cabin steward.

This may sound silly, but does anyone happen to have a copy of a typical
Princess room service menu I could take a look at ahead of time?

You could probably find it on the cruise critic Princess boards, you can
post asking for it or do a search for it. You have to register to post,
but there is no charge. Lots of good info on cruise critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

sue

Yes, but it's too slow to browse on dialup. So much easier to ask people
here to search for him.

Bill
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 12/13/10 8:23 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
There will be a room service menu in a binder in your cabin, if you
don't see it just ask your cabin steward.

This may sound silly, but does anyone happen to have a copy of a typical
Princess room service menu I could take a look at ahead of time?

It's actually pretty limited. But, why on earth would you want to have
food delivered to your room? Rooms are small, they don't want you
there, except for sleeping. They want you out and about. Plus, why
would you want food that's been sitting around. Go up to the buffet and
get a fresh omelet or eggs benedict. There's all kinds of fresh fruit
on Princess. Cookies. Pastries. A zillion things to pick from. Don't
limit yourself to a room service menu.

I think you'll see that once on board, getting room service makes very
little sense, unless you're a celebrity who wants to stay away from
crowds, and you have a gigantic suite with a dining room table on the
ship. Room are not sized for you to eat in them.

To me, a better scenario... you wake up early, and head up to the buffet
by yourself while your wife is still asleep. Bring back a plate of
chocolate croissants and some cups of coffee, tea or hot chocolate, and
have pre-breakfast nibbles in bed. Then shower and head up to either
the dining room or the buffet.

--Tom
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Tom K wrote:

u.

I think you'll see that once on board, getting room service makes very
little sense, unless you're a celebrity who wants to stay away from
crowds, and you have a gigantic suite with a dining room table on the
ship. Room are not sized for you to eat in them.

Depends on the room. Pretty much every sea day, we get breakfast in
the room, go to the balcony, and enjoy a nice breakfast.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

On 12/13/2010 9:36 AM, Tom K wrote:

I think you'll see that once on board, getting room service makes very
little sense, unless you're a celebrity who wants to stay away from
crowds, and you have a gigantic suite with a dining room table on the
ship. Room are not sized for you to eat in them.

Room service for breakfast works great for us, balcony or not. It just
allows us more time to wake up before moving around the ship and seeing
people.

sue
Old December 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rich Greene

On 12/13/10 9:56 AM, in article , "Sue
Mullen" wrote:

On 12/13/2010 9:36 AM, Tom K wrote:

I think you'll see that once on board, getting room service makes very
little sense, unless you're a celebrity who wants to stay away from
crowds, and you have a gigantic suite with a dining room table on the
ship. Room are not sized for you to eat in them.

Room service for breakfast works great for us, balcony or not. It just
allows us more time to wake up before moving around the ship and seeing
people.

sue

When we cruise, we are usually late risers, and having room service makes it
a lot easier to wake up and get ready for the day. We always tip the
waiter, therefore room service is not free if you tip. I just wouldn't want
to be the waiter that works the graveyard shift and have to wait on all
those drunks in the cabins. I've seen untouched food sitting out in the
hallways in the mornings at times. People should think about the people on
the islands they are sailing by who are practically starving to death. We
throw too much food away. I asked a local big chain supermarket (Price
Chopper) what they did with cooked food that was left over at closing time.
They told me it's company policy to just throw it out. I said what's to
stop me my dumpster diving and taking the left overs? They basically said
have at it. I figure they would at least box it up and drop it off at a
homeless shelter, but then there aren't any where I live.

I guess Kansas State law dictates that cooked leftovers are to be tossed.
Too bad for the hungry on the streets.

I usually during the winter take my old coats out in my truck and had them
out to homeless or people that are cold on the street. Goodwill and the
Salvation Army actually sell donated items. The VA has a homeless clothing
program that works well. All clothing is free to veterans.

Rich