Ship Attacks

Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default Ship Attacks

[Default] Thus spake Becca :

Brian K wrote:
On 11/22/2008 4:43 PM Becca did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
This article was posted on March 25, 2008.

http://maritimeaccident.wordpress.co...oes-lrad-work/

In theory, the LRAD sends out a concentrated beam of ear-popping
sound painful enough to burst eardrums and deter attackers. A popular
version is sold by American Technology Corporation.

So far, there has been only one reported successful use of this
device, when the cruise ship /Seabourn Spirit/ was attacked by
pirates off the coast of Somalia. However, a close reading of reports
of the event must necessarily raise the question of whether it was
the spirited defence of the ship by its security officer Michael
Grave and his colleage Som Bahadur Gurung, which included high
pressure hose and aggressive maneuvers by the master. Michael Graves
suffered permanent hearing damage. Grave and Gurung deservedly were
awarded the Queens Gallantry Medal and Commendation for Bravery.

Gee Becca,

Maybe they can use the LRAD to zap kidney stones, or to treat
Peyronie's Disease by zapping the affected area. ;-)

We have a skunk living under our house, so I wish I had the LRAD here in
Louisiana. It could get rid of the skunk, blast his kidney stones and
zapp his Peyronie's, if it's a boy. I have not got close enough to
look. ;-)

Becca

A while back, Mythbusters did an episode on the best way to destiink
after getting skunked. They tried three different skunks (all caged)
and did things like poke it in the backside, with no results. They
finally had to buy some "essence of skunk". Only after they used it
did they read the instruction "mix bottle with one quart of water".
--
- dillon I am not invalid

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which
will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Dillon Pyron wrote:

A while back, Mythbusters did an episode on the best way to destiink
after getting skunked. They tried three different skunks (all caged)
and did things like poke it in the backside, with no results. They
finally had to buy some "essence of skunk". Only after they used it
did they read the instruction "mix bottle with one quart of water".
--

Back as a kid in MO, I remember one summer evening when Mom and Dad
returned in the pickup from taking a load of brush out to the city dump.

My (otherwise quite dignified) parents then stripped in the garage and
washed down with the tomato juice, then washing their clothing in the
juice. I brought them towels and after drying off, they added the
towels to the tomato juice. They then used an old tarp to cover
themselves as they walked across the back yard to the house and a good
shower.

Being myself, I was sorely, very sorely, tempted to lock the house,
remove the tub of tomato saturated clothing and drive away in the
pickup, but a tiny sense of loyalty overcame that. (Actually, it was the
certainty of what would have happened to me when/if my parents had ever
found me). Somehow, the though of leaving my parents nude in the
garage, no clothing around, no keys to the house and the house locked
still makes me chuckle. It also helps to explain my own kids to the
good folk who've met them on cruises. Grin

I was only 12 or so at the time, and when washing the truck off with the
garden hose didn't work in the least, I simply drove it to a new-fangled
thing in town called a wand-type carwash, where a couple quarters got
lots of hot soapy water. If I recall correctly, the smell finally
dissipated in a week or so, though the clothing was eventually
discarded, along with the towels they'd use.

Nonnymus-

Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.

-Mark Twain
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot net:

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:42:36 -0500, "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot
net wrote:

With the rash of rash of pirate and terrorist stories, the cruise lines must
have contingency plans to repel attacks.
In all the cruises we have taken on many lines, we have never seen any weapons
displayed.
Does anyone know what contingency plans cruise lines have to deal with
attacks.

Hi,

The cruise lines do have elaborate plans for protection that include
special weapons from pirates. Due to security reasons, they do not
publish them for public consumption on the internet. A Seabourn ship
was attacked a few years ago and repelled the attackers with one of
these weapons. You might want to Google long range acoustic device
(LRAD) for more insight.

The cruise lines do have elaborate plans for protection that include
special weapons from pirates. Due to security reasons, they do not
publish them for public consumption on the internet. A Seabourn ship
was attacked a few years ago and repelled the attackers with one of
these weapons. You might want to Google long range acoustic device
(LRAD) for more insight.

I am not talking about that lame stuff.
When you are being attacked with RPG's you need real weapons to repel.
What you are talking about is no secret, it was widely disseminated in the news.
That lame acoustic thing is probably not the reason the attack was broken off.

Um, they were developed for the DoD. Which seems to like them. The
sound pressure levels and the frequencies are specifically designed to
cause incredible pain. I've seen video of them in use. People 100
meters away dropped in pain, unable to even run. The unfortunate side
effect was that three of the test subjects were later found to have
sinus bleeds. Bad for tests but kind of appealing for real world
applications.

What was more likely the attack was broken off for other reasons by the pirates.
I find it hard to believe that the cruise line would put their billion dollar
investment on the line with ONLY such a lame device.

You keep saying lame. Have you done any research into them. But I
agree, that's probably not the only line of defense.

At some point you have to put rounds into bodies.
Small arms fire just can close the distance.
My question is what large caliber weapons does the ship carry.

Why do you need large caliber? I can easily fire a .308 500 meters,
and I'm hardly a marksman. And just getting shot at deters most of
these pirates.

G&V

Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Kurt Ullman :

In article ,
Ray Goldenberg wrote:

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:37:11 -0500, "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot
net wrote:

I am not talking about that lame stuff.
When you are being attacked with RPG's you need real weapons to repel.
What you are talking about is no secret, it was widely disseminated in the
news.
That lame acoustic thing is probably not the reason the attack was broken
off.
What was more likely the attack was broken off for other reasons by the
pirates.
I find it hard to believe that the cruise line would put their billion
dollar
investment on the line with ONLY such a lame device.
At some point you have to put rounds into bodies.
Small arms fire just can close the distance.
My question is what large caliber weapons does the ship carry.

Hi G&V,

As I stated earlier, the cruise lines have a number of ways to repel
pirates and protect their investment. They are not going to publish
this information on the Internet to satisfy your curiosity. The so
called "lame" defense did work. How do you argue with the facts in
the Seabourn attempt?

Adn assuming the security types on the Seabourn work like every
other security type I know, there are various grades of response from
try to outrun 'em to pull out the nukes. So we really can't say that the
lame maneuver is only thing in their arsenal, only the first.

The rules for carry:

Avoid the incident.
Walk away from the attemped assailant.
Run away from the attempted assailant.
Co-operate with non-violent demands.
Shoot to stop. Never threaten. "Try not, do"

Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "James" :

net wrote:

[...]

Best regards,
Ray

OK ray, since you're privy to inside info, how will they repel the Jack
Sparrows of the world?

Grape shot from swivel guns on the poop deck and chain shot into the
masts.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Richard Bird" :

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 17:15:48 -0000, "Richard Bird"
wrote:

Would you prefer to see all the waiters carrying machine guns, grenades,
RPGs Etc while they serve your dinner so that you feel safe while you eat
it, seriously though dont worry all the cruise liners carry an awsome
armoury of long range peashooters, spud guns and catapaults also, the crew
all hold a black belt in origami (if that's spelt right) so you have
nothing
to fear

Hi Richard,

There you go. You let the cat out of the bag! :+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

Damn i forgot i was sworn to secrecy by the queen herself, Oh well i supose
i will be beheaded now for my indiscretion, silly me

Beheading. I can handle it if the axe gets me at the neck. It's the
other head.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_3_]

Nonnymus wrote:
[...]

You should write a book, Nonny. :-)

Becca
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_4_]

Becca wrote:
Nonnymus wrote:

[...]

Actually, Becca,I have enough of Nonny's stories in my document file to
fill a book. Do ya reckon it would sell?

Ermalee
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Nonnymus wrote:

Dillon Pyron wrote:

A while back, Mythbusters did an episode on the best way to destiink
after getting skunked. They tried three different skunks (all caged)
and did things like poke it in the backside, with no results. They
finally had to buy some "essence of skunk". Only after they used it
did they read the instruction "mix bottle with one quart of water".
--

Tomato juice for deskunking is an old wives' tale. It doesn't work. I
can't remember off the top of my head what does work and I'm on a

Old December 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 11/29/2008 2:09 PM Nonnymus did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
George Leppla wrote:

"Nonnymus" wrote
Becca, the best way to get rid of the skunk is to have George crawl
under the house, grab the skunk by the tail and toss it out to
you. You take a broom, whack him in the rear end several times and
he'll run away. That's the way we did it back in MO. Grin

Wow, after reading that I became worried that you might misinterpret
it. I was suggesting whacking the SKUNK, not George in the rear end
several times. Whacking George in the rear end several times with a
broom would probably only make him irritable.

The skunk has dug a burrow under the slab. He/she is a cute critter
and if the damn thing would quit tearing up the lawn and flower beds,
I'd be tempted to let him/her be. But the possibility that it is a
she means I might have a whole litter of skunks come Spring... and
that doesn't appeal to me.

We are going to try dumping ammonia down the hole... and cayenne
pepper around the area and hopefully that will start the Great Skunk
Exodus of 2009.

It's good to see you're still posting, George, and not laid up from
being whacked in the rear by a broom.

FWIW, if you or Becca get sprayed, the remedy is to wash off the scent
from your body and clothing with tomato juice. You might also
consider getting a packet or two of Squirrel Away. It's a very
concentrated version of cayenne powder that you put on birdseed. The
birds don't notice it, but squirrels, possums, coons and other
critters sure do.

Please don't ask me how I know this, but after pouring the powder into
birdseed and stirring it in with your hands, do NOT, ever, never,
under any circumstances, go and urinate. The stuff stays on your
hands for a long, long time and the pain is incredible. Only a real
dummy would do that and I'm sure you're a lot smarter than I was.

Why stop with cayenne pepper? Use what the Mexicans use, Habanero! You
know what else is the universal repellent for all kinds of nuisance
critters from Canadian Geese (without their green cards), to the odd
rodent - wolf urine. It can be obtained from some zoos or wolf
research centers. Just make sure that the wolf you get it from is not a
female wolf in heat. Wolfs are natural predators of these as well as
raccoons. The scent of wolfs urine scares the "b'jesus" out of 'em;
they either drop dead with fright or run for the hills. Deer don't come
to nosh on my chrysanthemums any more.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera