Spirit Air -- $54 to check my bags and get assigned seats!

Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

Default Spirit Air -- $54 to check my bags and get assigned seats!

Sue Mullen wrote:

Jeff wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

Jeff wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

jeffcoud wrote:
Ok, this is just a midday rant, lol...but just booked my flights for
the GGC down to Fort Lauderdale in February and....on Spirit Air,
which generally I like (new planes, leather seats) it was $15 to
check
a bag (x2) and $24 to get assigned seats for $54 total! And people
say you get nickle and dimed on cruises....lol. Oy!!!

This is what flying is coming to, but I bet you got a good price on
the flights.lol

sue

The price was decent....but with the add ons...somewhat less of a
bargain, but it's direct and that's what I like the most! Me and my
stuff will all get there together!

Direct is very good and also hard to find!! Flying down to the
Solstice we have a 2 hour layover in Atlanta, but at least going home
we have a nonstop flight.

Are you flying down on Sat. oor Sun.?

sue

I'm flying down saturday morning so I have a little hang time in Fort
Lauderdale to see friends and such!

We are arriving late afternoon saturday. There will be a group gathering
Sat. night if you want to join us, unless you want to hang with friends
that aren't sailing with us.

sue

Where is the group gathering? Although I am likely to go my own way
that night is my guess, we're going to hit the town up!

Jeff

Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Jeff wrote:

Where is the group gathering? Although I am likely to go my own way
that night is my guess, we're going to hit the town up!

I don't remember the name of the place, but if you email me I will look
it up. It isn't a formal gathering, more like George will be there and
we can all show up when or if we want to.

sue
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:

Where is the group gathering? Although I am likely to go my own way that
night is my guess, we're going to hit the town up!

I don't remember the name of the place, but if you email me I will look it
up. It isn't a formal gathering, more like George will be there and we can
all show up when or if we want to.

Our plans are to go to the Bahia Cabana Resort
http://www.bahiacabanaresort.com/index.html and spend the night at the
dockside restaurant/bar. We'll have dinner there and stay and schmooze with
whomever shows up. Their menu is at
http://www.bahiacabanaresort.com/menu.html and the food there is pretty
good.

I know a lot of the group aren't getting to FLL until late on Saturday but I
hope most will be able to stop at the Bahia Cabana for dinner or a drink.
We'll probably be there at least until 11 or so.... maybe later.

There is history there... we all met there the night before the very first
GGC back in December, 1998. For many of us, it was the first time we ever
met in person.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

George Leppla wrote:

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Thanks George, I figured if you were home you would post the info.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street and assume it is
a short cab ride away? Our flight arrives about 5:30 sat. night and if
it is on time we will join the party.

sue
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Sue Mullen wrote:

George Leppla wrote:

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Sue, I'm late into this thread. We're arriving FLL from the
Independence OTS on Saturday, prior to the GGC. Mrs. Nonny, our friend
and I then transfer by shuttle to the Embassy Suites FLL for the night.
Our son and his family arrive that afternoon to join us. If you're
going to have a few minutes, we'd be happy to see you and buy you a free
drink at Happy Hour.

I'm very easy to spot in a crowd. Various folk describe me as God-like,
since I frequently hear them say, "Oh my God," when they see me. Please
look us up if you have a free moment. (seriously) I'll be with Mrs.
Nonny, who has an electric scooter. Our son and his wife and two girls
will most likely be around as well.

We've not made a decision about the Bahia Cabana, but might go there as
well, if it's after the free booze at Embassy Suites. grin

Nonny

--
Nonny
Good health is merely the
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Nonnymus wrote:

Sue, I'm late into this thread. We're arriving FLL from the
Independence OTS on Saturday, prior to the GGC. Mrs. Nonny, our friend
and I then transfer by shuttle to the Embassy Suites FLL for the night.
Our son and his family arrive that afternoon to join us. If you're
going to have a few minutes, we'd be happy to see you and buy you a free
drink at Happy Hour.

I'm very easy to spot in a crowd. Various folk describe me as God-like,
since I frequently hear them say, "Oh my God," when they see me. Please
look us up if you have a free moment. (seriously) I'll be with Mrs.
Nonny, who has an electric scooter. Our son and his wife and two girls
will most likely be around as well.

We've not made a decision about the Bahia Cabana, but might go there as
well, if it's after the free booze at Embassy Suites. grin

We will be sure to look for you and Mrs. Nonny when we get to the hotel.
Kevin says the happy hour is usually from 5 to 7PM, so if our flight is
on time we should be able to make happy hour.

We will have no trouble spotting you, since we cruised with you, Mrs.
Nonny, son and daughter-in-law on the Conquest, one of the Sleazy
cruises. In fact we went to the beach and Margarittaville in Jamaica
with your son, his wife and a few others. At that point your son and his
wife were expecting your first grandchild. Tell your son and his wife we
are looking forward to seeing them again and this time with their two
girls.

sue
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_3_]

Sue Mullen wrote:

We are staying at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street and assume it is
a short cab ride away? Our flight arrives about 5:30 sat. night and if
it is on time we will join the party.

sue

The Bahia Cabana is two miles from the Embassy Suites. If you can make
it, that would be great. If not, we will see you on the ship. This
should be a fun cruise.

Becca
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Becca wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

We are staying at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street and assume it
is a short cab ride away? Our flight arrives about 5:30 sat. night
and if it is on time we will join the party.

sue

The Bahia Cabana is two miles from the Embassy Suites. If you can make
it, that would be great. If not, we will see you on the ship. This
should be a fun cruise.

Two miles makes a cheap cab ride away from our hotel. If all goes well
we plan on meeting you and whoever else shows up, but only time will tell.

This is going to be a very interesting cruise, a great group of friends
and a very unique ship to explore.

sue
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Nonnymus :

Jeff wrote:

Not sure I like that standing room concept! lol....oh no!

Jeff

The standing room restrooms would be intolerable for the lady passengers
and quite a problem for the men on occasion.

A friend's sailboat has the following sign posted in the head:

"Gentlemen, please be seated while at sea"

and another, smaller sign below it:

"I warned you. The mop is behind you"
--
- dillon I am not invalid

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which
will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Jeff :

Sue Mullen wrote:

jeffcoud wrote:
Ok, this is just a midday rant, lol...but just booked my flights for
the GGC down to Fort Lauderdale in February and....on Spirit Air,
which generally I like (new planes, leather seats) it was $15 to check
a bag (x2) and $24 to get assigned seats for $54 total! And people
say you get nickle and dimed on cruises....lol. Oy!!!

This is what flying is coming to, but I bet you got a good price on the
flights.lol

sue

The price was decent....but with the add ons...somewhat less of a
bargain, but it's direct and that's what I like the most! Me and my
stuff will all get there together!

Jeff

Direct or non-stop? Direct means the plane lands and you stay on. But
your bags can still get off. I've heard of this happening in the
past.

Oh yeah, I've also heard of Delta not putting all the bags on the
flight. If one flight is full and a following one is light, they
might "balance" the two to improve fuel consumption (the plane is
going to burn a certain amount of fuel at a minimum, so as long as you
don't go too far above this rating ...)