April Cruises

Old January 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default April Cruises

"Clint" wrote in message
We're looking at the Soultice im March...

Good choice Ralph, it's a ship with very restrictive smoking policies...
perfect for your wife who doesn't smoke.

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_3_]

BD wrote:
I have been looking for a cruise for myself and 3 kids in April '09. My
kids are 15 year old twin boys and a 9 year old girl. My question for
experienced cruisers on this board (we did cruise on RCCL last Christmas).

1. Since I am flexible should I wait a little longer to see if prices go
down for last minute pricing?

2. I'm leaving from Pittsburgh, so airfares add quite a bit. I saw a
Carnival cruise on the Fantasy leaving from N. Orleans where the airfare is
ony $399 person. This is a 5 night W. Carribean with stops at Progresso and
Cozumel. The total price would be under $4.000.00. Any thoughts?

Barb

Barb, I cruised on the Fantasy in May and I just saw the ship again in
December. The ship has new furnishings and flat screen televisions, but
this ship does not have all the bells & whistles that the Voyager class
ship has. The Fantasy looks wonderful, though.

Becca

Old January 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 1/5/2009 10:30 AM Dillon Pyron did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
[Default] Thus spake "BD" :

"Tom K" wrote in message

"BD" wrote in message

I have been looking for a cruise for myself and 3 kids in April '09. My
kids are 15 year old twin boys and a 9 year old girl. My question for
experienced cruisers on this board (we did cruise on RCCL last Christmas).

1. Since I am flexible should I wait a little longer to see if prices go
down for last minute pricing?

2. I'm leaving from Pittsburgh, so airfares add quite a bit. I saw a
Carnival cruise on the Fantasy leaving from N. Orleans where the airfare
is ony $399 person. This is a 5 night W. Carribean with stops at
Progresso and Cozumel. The total price would be under $4.000.00. Any
thoughts?

Barb

Which RCI ship were you on last time? Was it something new like Voyager
class or Freedom class. The Fantasy is nearly 20 years old at this point.
It's a rather dated design. There are almost no balconies. Life boats
are up near the pool deck, which they don't do anymore. Not many bells
and whistles compared to new ships with ice skating rinks, rock walls,
mini golf courses, etc. The Carnival ships which get the best reviews are
the Spirit Class ships. This ship is 3 generations older. They're moving
those older ships to the secondary markets. If you were on one of the
newest RCI ships last time, Fantasy could be a bit of a disappointment.
Unless the ship itself isn't that important to you.

As to pricing, there are frequently opportunities for last minute pricing
specials, but if you're looking at one of the adjacent Easter weeks - that
could be different. Those weeks tend to price higher and sell out
quicker. And with last minute pricing you risk not being able to find
reasonable air. So that's always a delicate trade off. Also with air,
it's almost always cheaper to do air separately (not through the cruise
line).

--Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. We will be traveling the first week of April which
is Spring break in our school district. We traveled on the Navigator of the
Seas. Maybe I will continue to look for other cruise.

I agree with you on this one. For a first cruise, the Fantasy would
be a "nice" ship. But "how are you going to get them back on the
farm, once they've seen Paris"?
--
- dillon I am not invalid

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which
will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Dillon,

That depends upon which Paris. If it's Paris, France I agree. If it's
Paris, Texas...maybe. If it's Paris Hilton, "like gag me with a spoon
dude".

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_3_]

Brian K wrote:

Dillon,

That depends upon which Paris. If it's Paris, France I agree. If it's
Paris, Texas...maybe. If it's Paris Hilton, "like gag me with a spoon
dude".

Paris Hilton sure is popular, though. "Her body is like the road between
Dallas and Houston - no curves!" -- Foghorn Leghorn

Becca

Old January 11th, 2009, 01:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

BD wrote:
I have been looking for a cruise for myself and 3 kids in April '09. My
kids are 15 year old twin boys and a 9 year old girl. My question for
experienced cruisers on this board (we did cruise on RCCL last Christmas).

1. Since I am flexible should I wait a little longer to see if prices go
down for last minute pricing?

2. I'm leaving from Pittsburgh, so airfares add quite a bit. I saw a
Carnival cruise on the Fantasy leaving from N. Orleans where the airfare is
ony $399 person. This is a 5 night W. Carribean with stops at Progresso and
Cozumel. The total price would be under $4.000.00. Any thoughts?

Barb

At 4000 total for 4 people, actually you could do a lot lot better than
the Fantasy.

Jeff
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

Ermalee wrote:
Clint, we need to see you on the Feb 8th sailing.

Ermalee

Oh no!!!

Jeff

Old January 11th, 2009, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 1/10/2009 7:10 PM Jeff did a "happy dance", then made these writings:
BD wrote:
I have been looking for a cruise for myself and 3 kids in April '09.
My kids are 15 year old twin boys and a 9 year old girl. My question
for experienced cruisers on this board (we did cruise on RCCL last
Christmas).

1. Since I am flexible should I wait a little longer to see if prices
go down for last minute pricing?

2. I'm leaving from Pittsburgh, so airfares add quite a bit. I saw
a Carnival cruise on the Fantasy leaving from N. Orleans where the
airfare is ony $399 person. This is a 5 night W. Carribean with
stops at Progresso and Cozumel. The total price would be under
$4.000.00. Any thoughts?

Barb

At 4000 total for 4 people, actually you could do a lot lot better
than the Fantasy.

Jeff

Isn't Progresso an industrial port? Or am I thinking of another place,
where male prostitutes ply their goods along the waterfront.

--
________
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

BD wrote:
[...]

No Progresso is nice, its the port for Merida. Not hugely built up for
tourists, and the longest dock on earth! You park the boat WAY out
there.....the bay is very very shallow for like a mile. Gorgeous water
there. I like that port a lot as well as Merida. I do with there were
a cruise that did towns all along the Yucatan, including further west
than Progresso even like Campeche and then keep going west to Veracruz,
etc. Do all the gulf towns of Mexico, that'd be a cool cruise.

Jeff
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Alan Meyer

BD wrote:
I have been looking for a cruise for myself and 3 kids in April '09. My
kids are 15 year old twin boys and a 9 year old girl. My question for
experienced cruisers on this board (we did cruise on RCCL last Christmas).

1. Since I am flexible should I wait a little longer to see if prices go
down for last minute pricing?

2. I'm leaving from Pittsburgh, so airfares add quite a bit. I saw a
Carnival cruise on the Fantasy leaving from N. Orleans where the airfare is
ony $399 person. This is a 5 night W. Carribean with stops at Progresso and
Cozumel. The total price would be under $4.000.00. Any thoughts?

Barb

Barb,

It looks like you'll be spending $1,600 for airfare alone, not
counting parking at the airport and transfers to/from the airport
and docks at New Orleans. I'm guessing the travel time will
work out to six hours or more, including time traveling to the
airport, checking in, waiting for the plane, flying, waiting
for the bags, waiting for the bus, and so on.

Instead of that, you might consider cruising from the port of
Baltimore. It's a 5 hour drive from Pittsburgh to Baltimore,
saving you a bunch of money, and probably not costing you
any significant amount of time. It might even be a bit less
time.

Carnival has a number of cruises from Baltimore, including
at least one in April. I think some other cruise lines also
have a few cruises from there too.

Another option with a slightly longer drive is Philadelphia.
Norwegian Cruise Lines has some sailings from there, though
with different schedules and itineraries.

Alan