Best UK seaside

Old September 18th, 2008, 02:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Pete

Default Best UK seaside

I'm not talking about getting a tan. I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant experience. Not so crowded or popular, if it is
memorable (in a good way), post it. In my mind I am
visualizing the beach scenes in the Poirot series with David
Suchet. Yes, I know that series was based in the 30s.

Pete

Old September 18th, 2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:33:32 -0600, "Pete" wrote:

I'm not talking about getting a tan. I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant experience. Not so crowded or popular, if it is
memorable (in a good way), post it.

Aberdaron Wales may be the most beautiful and mystical place my wife and I have
ever visited anywhere in the world. But it's a [very] tiny town, and quite
remote.

In my mind I am
visualizing the beach scenes in the Poirot series with David
Suchet. Yes, I know that series was based in the 30s.

Well, you can hit Portmeirion on the way, should you be a fan of the Prisoner.
8

-- Larry
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Pete" wrote in message
news
I'm not talking about getting a tan. I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant experience. Not so crowded or popular, if it is
memorable (in a good way), post it. In my mind I am
visualizing the beach scenes in the Poirot series with David
Suchet. Yes, I know that series was based in the 30s.

Most of those look as though they were shot in the West Country. However,
they may well be a collage of places. I have seen a TV programme where
someone walking in Brighton has sat on a bench and suddenly been transported
to one in Littlehampton, miles down the coast.

Colin Bignell

Old September 18th, 2008, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

wrote:

I'm not talking about getting a tan. I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant experience. Not so crowded or popular, if it is
memorable (in a good way), post it. In my mind I am
visualizing the beach scenes in the Poirot series with David
Suchet. Yes, I know that series was based in the 30s.

Pete

North Devon/Somerset springs to mind. Dramatic coast with the Exmoor
hills as a backdrop - whole coast accessible because of the South-West
Peninsula Coastal Path. Whole stretch from Minehead to Ilfracombe is
terrific.

Stay away from those two towns, however - you might just bump into
some of the people you want to avoid.

There's also the Pembrokeshire coast in west Wales - the whole
coastline is a national park and has footpath access.

Keith (formerly of Bristol UK)
now moved to Berlin/nach Berlin umgezogen
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Sep 18, 2:33*am, "Pete" wrote:
I'm not talking about getting a tan. *I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant experience. *Not so crowded or popular, if it is
memorable (in a good way), post it. *In my mind I am
visualizing the beach scenes in the Poirot series with David
Suchet. *Yes, I know that series was based in the 30s.

Pete

In addition to all the other suggestions, try the North Norfolk coast,
around Wells.
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Greg Morrow Brings 'U' The News...

nightjar .me.uk wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
news
I'm not talking about getting a tan. I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant experience. Not so crowded or popular, if it is
memorable (in a good way), post it. In my mind I am
visualizing the beach scenes in the Poirot series with David
Suchet. Yes, I know that series was based in the 30s.

Most of those look as though they were shot in the West Country. However,
they may well be a collage of places. I have seen a TV programme where
someone walking in Brighton has sat on a bench and suddenly been

transported
to one in Littlehampton, miles down the coast.

Oh, a _Dr. Who_ episode...!!!

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Old September 19th, 2008, 06:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_54_]

M............ wrote:

Following up to pltrgyst

But it's a [very] tiny town, and quite
remote.

surely if he wants coastline, he will be expecting to not be in towns and
be in remoter places?

Like 'Fawlty Towers'...???

--
Best
Greg

Old September 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Greg Morrow Brings 'U' The News..." wrote in message
m...

nightjar .me.uk wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
news
I'm not talking about getting a tan. I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant experience. Not so crowded or popular, if it is
memorable (in a good way), post it. In my mind I am
visualizing the beach scenes in the Poirot series with David
Suchet. Yes, I know that series was based in the 30s.

Most of those look as though they were shot in the West Country. However,
they may well be a collage of places. I have seen a TV programme where
someone walking in Brighton has sat on a bench and suddenly been

transported
to one in Littlehampton, miles down the coast.

Oh, a _Dr. Who_ episode...!!!

;-)

I've not watched any of those for years. IIRC it was Men Behaving Badly.

Colin Bignell

Old January 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM
altyfc altyfc is offline
Member

I am staying in the UK this year due to the strength of the Euro to the Pound. Previously, we'd been to France.

We were going to head to Pembrokeshire for a change, but in the end it looks like we're opting for Cornwall.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Kellyroberts Kellyroberts is offline
Banned

Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'm not talking about getting a tan. I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant experience. Not so crowded or popular, if it is
memorable (in a good way), post it. In my mind I am
visualizing the beach scenes in the Poirot series with David
Suchet. Yes, I know that series was based in the 30s.

Pete
Coastline of the United Kingdom is a remarkable area with a rich variety of coastal landscapes, activities and habitats, both human and natural. The coast is also very accessible to the UK population and the majority of the population visit the coast at least once a year and for some people who live near the coast it is a constant source of recreation.

Last edited by Kellyroberts : January 13th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.