April Cruises

Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BD

Default April Cruises

I have been looking for a cruise for myself and 3 kids in April '09. My
kids are 15 year old twin boys and a 9 year old girl. My question for
experienced cruisers on this board (we did cruise on RCCL last Christmas).

1. Since I am flexible should I wait a little longer to see if prices go
down for last minute pricing?

2. I'm leaving from Pittsburgh, so airfares add quite a bit. I saw a
Carnival cruise on the Fantasy leaving from N. Orleans where the airfare is
ony $399 person. This is a 5 night W. Carribean with stops at Progresso and
Cozumel. The total price would be under $4.000.00. Any thoughts?

Barb

Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"BD" wrote in message
I have been looking for a cruise for myself and 3 kids in April '09. My
kids are 15 year old twin boys and a 9 year old girl. My question for
experienced cruisers on this board (we did cruise on RCCL last Christmas).

1. Since I am flexible should I wait a little longer to see if prices go
down for last minute pricing?

2. I'm leaving from Pittsburgh, so airfares add quite a bit. I saw a
Carnival cruise on the Fantasy leaving from N. Orleans where the airfare
is ony $399 person. This is a 5 night W. Carribean with stops at
Progresso and Cozumel. The total price would be under $4.000.00. Any
thoughts?

Barb

Which RCI ship were you on last time? Was it something new like Voyager
class or Freedom class. The Fantasy is nearly 20 years old at this point.
It's a rather dated design. There are almost no balconies. Life boats are
up near the pool deck, which they don't do anymore. Not many bells and
whistles compared to new ships with ice skating rinks, rock walls, mini golf
courses, etc. The Carnival ships which get the best reviews are the Spirit
Class ships. This ship is 3 generations older. They're moving those older
ships to the secondary markets. If you were on one of the newest RCI ships
last time, Fantasy could be a bit of a disappointment. Unless the ship
itself isn't that important to you.

As to pricing, there are frequently opportunities for last minute pricing
specials, but if you're looking at one of the adjacent Easter weeks - that
could be different. Those weeks tend to price higher and sell out quicker.
And with last minute pricing you risk not being able to find reasonable air.
So that's always a delicate trade off. Also with air, it's almost always
cheaper to do air separately (not through the cruise line).

--Tom

Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

With your under $4000.00 price for a cruise,don't forget to add the
additional costs of tours,tips,and extra's on the ship which for 5 can
add up to another $5 or $600 or more

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old January 4th, 2009, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BD

"Tom K" wrote in message

"BD" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info Tom. We will be traveling the first week of April which
is Spring break in our school district. We traveled on the Navigator of the
Seas. Maybe I will continue to look for other cruise.

Old January 5th, 2009, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
William W. Wright

check out the Celebrity Summit -- I'm taking the 4/4 cruise and the
prices are amazing .

bill W.

Old January 5th, 2009, 06:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"William W. Wright" wrote in message
check out the Celebrity Summit -- I'm taking the 4/4 cruise and the prices
are amazing .

bill W.

That's an interesting itinerary too... going to Dominica, Grenada, Barbados,
St. Maarten and Tobago. Though it's a San Juan departure, so air could be a
bit more expensive.

--Tom

Old January 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "BD" :

"Tom K" wrote in message

"BD" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with you on this one. For a first cruise, the Fantasy would
be a "nice" ship. But "how are you going to get them back on the
farm, once they've seen Paris"?
--
- dillon I am not invalid

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which
will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Old January 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_6_]

Dillon Pyron wrote:
[Default] Thus spake "BD" :

"Tom K" wrote in message

"BD" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Excuse me for the correction, Dillon... But the spelling is Paree! LOL