Amalfi Coast region

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Amalfi Coast region

Plan to go to the Catania region for about 6 days, first timer.

Was thinking that Sorrento seemed to be the most central, not just for
day trips to places like Positano and Ravello, but also back up to
Pompeii, maybe even Naples.

This is in the first week of April.

Sorrento seems to offer better lodging values than Positano. Obviously
not as scenic but better located (I will be arriving from Rome to Naples
by train and going back at the end to fly out of FCO).

The other idea was to spend a couple of nights on Capri.

Capri.com lists a lot of choices. Lot of small B&Bs which have maybe 3
rooms and gets raves for personal service.

Versus hotels, which still get good reviews but not the same level of
personal attention. Main good thing about the latter is that they seem
more likely to offer transfer or porterage services from Marina Grande,
whereas with the B&Bs, you would probably have to take a taxi up if
you're bringing luggage for a 2-week trip (no I don't pack light).

Any experiences in the lodging choices in the area? Not just on Capri
but also on the mainland?
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

"poldy" wrote in message
news
Plan to go to the Catania region for about 6 days, first timer.

Was thinking that Sorrento seemed to be the most central, not just for
day trips to places like Positano and Ravello, but also back up to
Pompeii, maybe even Naples.

This is in the first week of April.

Sorrento seems to offer better lodging values than Positano. Obviously
not as scenic but better located (I will be arriving from Rome to Naples
by train and going back at the end to fly out of FCO).

Yup - it's the ideal location for those. Gets a bit crowded though - even in
April.

The other idea was to spend a couple of nights on Capri.

Capri.com lists a lot of choices. Lot of small B&Bs which have maybe 3
rooms and gets raves for personal service.

We were going to go to Capri but decided to give it a miss as it was described
by several people we met as a bit of a tourist trap, masses of shops selling
overpriced tat and not much else apart from nice views. As well as being
expensive to get to (IIRC the ferry from Sorrento to Capri was something like
twice the price of Sorrento to Amalfi - despite being half the distance!)

Versus hotels, which still get good reviews but not the same level of
personal attention. Main good thing about the latter is that they seem
more likely to offer transfer or porterage services from Marina Grande,
whereas with the B&Bs, you would probably have to take a taxi up if
you're bringing luggage for a 2-week trip (no I don't pack light).

Any experiences in the lodging choices in the area? Not just on Capri
but also on the mainland?

We stayed at hotel Il Nido up in the hills a few km outside Sorrento. They had a
regular shuttle service to/from the town centre and the train/bus station,
morning and evening till late, and they pick up from the station on arrival.
IIRC it was about 100 euros a night for a family room (4 people). Good
restaurant too and no more expensive than restaurants in town.

--
Andy

Old February 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:17:06 -0800, poldy wrote:

Plan to go to the Catania region for about 6 days, first timer.

That sentence confuses me, since Catania is in Sicily and has nothing
to do with the rest of your message. I don't particularly like
Catania, but I love Taormina, which is near it.

Was thinking that Sorrento seemed to be the most central, not just for
day trips to places like Positano and Ravello, but also back up to
Pompeii, maybe even Naples.

Yes. It's very convenient to get from Sorrento to all those places,
and if you want to see the Amalfi coast, it's a very convenient and
great place to stay. From Sorrento you can easily get almost anywhere
on the Amalfi coast by bus (and the bus is a great way to see the
spectacular coast), and to Pompeii or Naples by the circumvesuviana
train.

This is in the first week of April.

Sorrento seems to offer better lodging values than Positano. Obviously
not as scenic but better located (I will be arriving from Rome to Naples
by train and going back at the end to fly out of FCO).

If you don't know how to get from Naples to Sorrento, you take the
circumvesuviana train, which is on a different level of the Naples
central train station.

Have you considered the possibility of flying back from Naples instead
of Rome? If you could do that, it should be much more convenient.

The other idea was to spend a couple of nights on Capri.

Capri.com lists a lot of choices. Lot of small B&Bs which have maybe 3
rooms and gets raves for personal service.

I love Capri, and have stayed there at least half a dozen times, for
as much as a week at a time. It's a very beautiful island.
Unfortunately it can get terribly overloaded with tourists in the
summer season, but in the first week of April, when you'll be there,
it won't be too bad.

You can get to Capri by ferry from either Naples or Sorrento. You
might even want to go from Naples to Capri, then from Capri to
Sorrento, which would take away the need to go from Naples to Sorrento
by train.

Versus hotels, which still get good reviews but not the same level of
personal attention. Main good thing about the latter is that they seem
more likely to offer transfer or porterage services from Marina Grande,
whereas with the B&Bs, you would probably have to take a taxi up if
you're bringing luggage for a 2-week trip (no I don't pack light).

You can take the funicular from Marina Grande up to the town and take
your luggage up on it. If you take a taxi, it will cost somewhat more,
but like the funicular, it just takes you to the start of Capri. From
there, you will have to walk to your hotel or B&B.

Any experiences in the lodging choices in the area? Not just on Capri
but also on the mainland?

I know nothing about Capri B&Bs, but I have two favorite hotels in
Capri: Canasta, and La Floridiana. Unfortunately, like so many hotels
in Capri, they are not cheap.

In Sorrento, I stayed at Hotel Mignon Meublè
the last time I was there (about a year
and a half ago). It was fine, very central, and moderately-priced.
Unfortunately, however, it has no elevator.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:50:51 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

Versus hotels, which still get good reviews but not the same level of
personal attention. Main good thing about the latter is that they seem
more likely to offer transfer or porterage services from Marina Grande,
whereas with the B&Bs, you would probably have to take a taxi up if
you're bringing luggage for a 2-week trip (no I don't pack light).

You can take the funicular from Marina Grande up to the town and take
your luggage up on it. If you take a taxi, it will cost somewhat more,
but like the funicular, it just takes you to the start of Capri. From
there, you will have to walk to your hotel or B&B.

Sorry, I meant to also mention the following two points, but forgot:

1. Only a few of the most deluxe hotels will provide you with
transportation from Marina Grande to Capri, so unless you are planning
on paying the hotel's very high prices, you will have to provide your
own taxi or funicular service yourself.

2. I highly recommend that whether you choose a hotel or a B&B that it
be in the town of Capri, not in Anacapri, Marina Grande, or Marina
Piccola. Capri is the most central, nicest, and has the best choices
of sights to see, restaurants, stores, etc. From Capri you can get to
Anacapri and Marina Piccola by bus (or on foot if you like long
walks), but a single trip to each of them is usually sufficient.

Old February 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

poldy wrote;
...but also back up to Pompeii, maybe
even Naples.

You might consider doing this for your Pompeii visit;

Go to http://tinyurl.com/dloxoq and under 'Eventi a Pompei' there are 5
limited access sites that you can reserve tickets for at Pompeii.

The site is in Italian but I have managed to book tickets there (I
don't read Italian) a few times.

Google the Italian names of the sites and it will also bring up pages
in English with info on those sites and then just choose which site
interests you.

I give directions and info on this post which might be helpful with the
train, Circumvesuviana, historical sites, museum, etc in that area
(Naples-Pompeii).
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34665492
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:17:06 -0800, poldy wrote:

Plan to go to the Catania region for about 6 days, first timer.

Was thinking that Sorrento seemed to be the most central, not just for
day trips to places like Positano and Ravello, but also back up to
Pompeii, maybe even Naples.

Any experiences in the lodging choices in the area? Not just on Capri
but also on the mainland?

Just up the hill from Sorrento (about an easy 10 min walk from town)
is the Hotel Desiree...very nice, on the cliff, views of the water.
Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Tripadvisor still shows
positive reviews since my last trip there.

Don't miss the outdoor vendors, on the mainland, between the main drag
and the water. Lots of lovely scarves, leather items.

Had good gelato (is there such a thing as bad gelato?) at a large
gelateria on the west side of the main drag - the grape was fabulous.

I wanted to go to the Blue Lagoon and swim (remember, Clark Gable,
etc., the movie?), but the one day I had available it was too windy
and the boats wouldn't go there.

There is a local bus you can take down the coast to Amalfi as a day
trip. I wouldn't try the drive - you'll miss all the scenery!
Sorrento is a good base for Naples, Pompeii, etc.

If you get to Naples you have GOT to go to the Chapel of SanSevero.
(via F. De Sanctis, 19/21) The "Veiled Christ" sculpture is
astounding.

http://www.museosansevero.it/index_ing.html
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Ken Blake wrote:

Have you considered the possibility of flying back from Naples instead
of Rome? If you could do that, it should be much more convenient.

I'm paying less than $650 all-in for SFO-FCO. I checked returning from
NAP and the fare shot up to over $1700.

You can get to Capri by ferry from either Naples or Sorrento. You
might even want to go from Naples to Capri, then from Capri to
Sorrento, which would take away the need to go from Naples to Sorrento
by train.

Yes, another reason for choosing Sorrento is that I could go from Naples
to Sorrento by train or ferry. Ferry or hydrofoil would be more scenic
and faster but the transfer from the Naples train station to the port
seems a hassle, with a big suitcase in tow.

I guess I could go to Capri first but it might be better to get my
bearings first on the coast.

You can take the funicular from Marina Grande up to the town and take
your luggage up on it. If you take a taxi, it will cost somewhat more,
but like the funicular, it just takes you to the start of Capri. From
there, you will have to walk to your hotel or B&B.

I will have to research the funicular a bit more. I assumed it was more
a people-mover and it didn't sound like something for people with
luggage.

Any experiences in the lodging choices in the area? Not just on Capri
but also on the mainland?

I know nothing about Capri B&Bs, but I have two favorite hotels in
Capri: Canasta, and La Floridiana. Unfortunately, like so many hotels
in Capri, they are not cheap.

In Sorrento, I stayed at Hotel Mignon Meublè
the last time I was there (about a year
and a half ago). It was fine, very central, and moderately-priced.
Unfortunately, however, it has no elevator.

Some good suggestions in this thread about hotels in Sorrento.

I've seen most of the ones mentioned on Venere.com
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
(Carole Allen) wrote:

Just up the hill from Sorrento (about an easy 10 min walk from town)
is the Hotel Desiree...very nice, on the cliff, views of the water.
Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Tripadvisor still shows
positive reviews since my last trip there.

I'd only been looking at the hotels on Venere's Centro Storico section,
with the assumption that all the transport hubs were all there, the SITA
bus to Positano, Amalfi, the Circumvesuviana, the ferries and hydrofoils.

I'll check it out though.

Don't miss the outdoor vendors, on the mainland, between the main drag
and the water. Lots of lovely scarves, leather items.

Had good gelato (is there such a thing as bad gelato?) at a large
gelateria on the west side of the main drag - the grape was fabulous.

I wanted to go to the Blue Lagoon and swim (remember, Clark Gable,
etc., the movie?), but the one day I had available it was too windy
and the boats wouldn't go there.

I'm hoping for good weather in the first week of April. Hadn't thought
about swimming though. Lot of nice places with pools overlooking the
sea though.

There is a local bus you can take down the coast to Amalfi as a day
trip. I wouldn't try the drive - you'll miss all the scenery!
Sorrento is a good base for Naples, Pompeii, etc.

Do you mean the SITA? That's what I planned on. I considered the drive
for a second. Then saw videos and accounts about blind turns with
narrow roads where only one car could pass at a time.

If you get to Naples you have GOT to go to the Chapel of SanSevero.
(via F. De Sanctis, 19/21) The "Veiled Christ" sculpture is
astounding.

http://www.museosansevero.it/index_ing.html

Beautiful. But I will have to really line up my itinerary.
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Ken Blake wrote:

2. I highly recommend that whether you choose a hotel or a B&B that it
be in the town of Capri, not in Anacapri, Marina Grande, or Marina
Piccola. Capri is the most central, nicest, and has the best choices
of sights to see, restaurants, stores, etc. From Capri you can get to
Anacapri and Marina Piccola by bus (or on foot if you like long
walks), but a single trip to each of them is usually sufficient.

Thanks, that's interesting to know.

I first looked at staying near the Marina Grande so I wouldn't have to
deal with lugging the luggage up to the main towns.

I heard that Anacapri was less touristy and there seems to be more
family-run B&Bs there. Some very reasonably-priced choices too.

I like this one:

www.aiano.net

It's in the center of the island and looks to have spectacular views,
although it's not so close to the center of Capri town.

It gets raves on Tripadvisor and the price isn't bad, but there are less
expensive options to be had too.
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
(Poetic Justice) wrote:

You might consider doing this for your Pompeii visit;

Go to
http://tinyurl.com/dloxoq and under 'Eventi a Pompei' there are 5
limited access sites that you can reserve tickets for at Pompeii.

The site is in Italian but I have managed to book tickets there (I
don't read Italian) a few times.

Google the Italian names of the sites and it will also bring up pages
in English with info on those sites and then just choose which site
interests you.

I give directions and info on this post which might be helpful with the
train, Circumvesuviana, historical sites, museum, etc in that area
(Naples-Pompeii).
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34665492

Are the limited-access areas worth it for a first-time visitor? Or does
it make more sense to go to the more well-known areas?

Yes I was planning to take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

Hopefully not too tricky to find the correct train (looks like some go
to Salerno or is that the regular train?) or the correct stop at the
station in Sorrento.