A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travel Regions » Europe
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...AntwerpCentral

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).

The American weekly made a ranking of what it considers to be the most
beautiful train stations in the world.
(Belga)

Antwerp Central is fourth on the list.

The article is entitled 'Stations: A Destination That Matches the
Journey'.

"Among the many fine sights to be seen while travelling by train, few
are as pleasantly surprising as the terminals one passes through,"
writes Newsweek.

Antwerp Central has been modernised over recent years, enlarged and
adapted for the high speed train line. The building, with its
magnificent dome dates to the 19th century. It is on the classified
monument list. The architect of the train station, Louis de la
Censerie, was inspired by the impressive Pantheon in Rome, Italy.

At the top of the list is St Pancras in London, recently refurbished
and featuring the longest champagne bar in Europe and a new farmers'
market set to open this year.

The Top Nine

1) St.Pancras, London (UK)
2) Grand Central Terminal, New York (USA)
3) Chhatrapati Shivaji, Mumbai (India)
4) Central Station, Antwerp (Belgium)
5) Gare des Bénédictins, Limoges (France)
6) Lahore Railway Station (Pakistan)
7) Central Railway Station, Maputo (Mozambique)
8) Hua Hin Railway Station (Thailand)
9) Atocha Station, Madrid (Spain)
  #2  
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Mizter T
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station


On 18 Feb, 15:29, Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope
wrote:
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...s_today/090206...

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).


Uh-oh... I can hear the thunderous stampede of uk.railway denizens
(one in particular) heading this way chanting "beauty, beauty, what
about being user friendly" with regards to St. Pancras!

I like it, but then again I don't have to use the tacked on Midland
platforms regularly, nor do I have to walk from the Midland or
Thameslink platforms down to the Underground station every morning.
  #3  
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
abelard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 231
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:20 -0800 (PST), Lord Truscott of
Brownenvelope wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...AntwerpCentral

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).

The American weekly made a ranking of what it considers to be the most
beautiful train stations in the world.
(Belga)

Antwerp Central is fourth on the list.

The article is entitled 'Stations: A Destination That Matches the
Journey'.

"Among the many fine sights to be seen while travelling by train, few
are as pleasantly surprising as the terminals one passes through,"
writes Newsweek.


you can't travel by train through a terminal

Antwerp Central has been modernised over recent years, enlarged and
adapted for the high speed train line. The building, with its
magnificent dome dates to the 19th century. It is on the classified
monument list. The architect of the train station, Louis de la
Censerie, was inspired by the impressive Pantheon in Rome, Italy.

At the top of the list is St Pancras in London, recently refurbished
and featuring the longest champagne bar in Europe and a new farmers'
market set to open this year.

The Top Nine

1) St.Pancras, London (UK)
2) Grand Central Terminal, New York (USA)
3) Chhatrapati Shivaji, Mumbai (India)
4) Central Station, Antwerp (Belgium)
5) Gare des Bénédictins, Limoges (France)
6) Lahore Railway Station (Pakistan)
7) Central Railway Station, Maputo (Mozambique)
8) Hua Hin Railway Station (Thailand)
9) Atocha Station, Madrid (Spain)


no country has 2....everyone must get prizes....
moscow zero

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics
energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #4  
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
rail
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

In message
abelard wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:20 -0800 (PST), Lord Truscott of
Brownenvelope wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...AntwerpCentral

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).

The American weekly made a ranking of what it considers to be the most
beautiful train stations in the world.
(Belga)

Antwerp Central is fourth on the list.

The article is entitled 'Stations: A Destination That Matches the
Journey'.

"Among the many fine sights to be seen while travelling by train, few
are as pleasantly surprising as the terminals one passes through,"
writes Newsweek.


you can't travel by train through a terminal


You can at Antwerp, also at Manchester Piccadilly.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
  #5  
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
abelard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 231
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:17:08 +0000, rail
wrote:

In message
abelard wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:20 -0800 (PST), Lord Truscott of
Brownenvelope wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...AntwerpCentral

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).

The American weekly made a ranking of what it considers to be the most
beautiful train stations in the world.
(Belga)

Antwerp Central is fourth on the list.

The article is entitled 'Stations: A Destination That Matches the
Journey'.

"Among the many fine sights to be seen while travelling by train, few
are as pleasantly surprising as the terminals one passes through,"
writes Newsweek.


you can't travel by train through a terminal


You can at Antwerp, also at Manchester Piccadilly.


trust manchester....some terminal!

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics
energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #6  
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
DVH[_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 108
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station


"abelard" wrote in message
...
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:20 -0800 (PST), Lord Truscott of
Brownenvelope wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...AntwerpCentral

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).

The American weekly made a ranking of what it considers to be the most
beautiful train stations in the world.
(Belga)

Antwerp Central is fourth on the list.

The article is entitled 'Stations: A Destination That Matches the
Journey'.

"Among the many fine sights to be seen while travelling by train, few
are as pleasantly surprising as the terminals one passes through,"
writes Newsweek.


you can't travel by train through a terminal


Ahem...

http://james.lab6.com/2006/static/tr...1895_small.jpg


  #7  
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Christopher A. Lee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:20 -0800 (PST), Lord Truscott of
Brownenvelope wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...AntwerpCentral

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).


And Penn would surely have been in the list before it was demolished
and replaced by the basement of Madison Square Garden.

This created such an outcry that Grand Central was saved and cleaned
up. Jacqueline Kennedy led the opposition when Penn Central wanted to
do the same thing.
  #8  
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
abelard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 231
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:21:13 -0000, "DVH" wrote:


"abelard" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:20 -0800 (PST), Lord Truscott of
Brownenvelope wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...AntwerpCentral

Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).

The American weekly made a ranking of what it considers to be the most
beautiful train stations in the world.
(Belga)

Antwerp Central is fourth on the list.

The article is entitled 'Stations: A Destination That Matches the
Journey'.

"Among the many fine sights to be seen while travelling by train, few
are as pleasantly surprising as the terminals one passes through,"
writes Newsweek.


you can't travel by train through a terminal


Ahem...

http://james.lab6.com/2006/static/tr...1895_small.jpg


your support is very much appreciated!

regards

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics
energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #9  
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Mizter T
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station


On 18 Feb, 16:00, abelard wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:20 -0800 (PST), Lord Truscott of
Brownenvelope wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...s_today/090206...


Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station


Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).


The American weekly made a ranking of what it considers to be the most
beautiful train stations in the world.
(Belga)


Antwerp Central is fourth on the list.


The article is entitled 'Stations: A Destination That Matches the
Journey'.


"Among the many fine sights to be seen while travelling by train, few
are as pleasantly surprising as the terminals one passes through,"
writes Newsweek.


you can't travel by train through a terminal


It didn't say one passes through the terminals on the train though did
it? Everyone who uses a terminal station passes through it one way or
another.
  #10  
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
abelard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 231
Default Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:34:54 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:


On 18 Feb, 16:00, abelard wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:20 -0800 (PST), Lord Truscott of
Brownenvelope wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...s_today/090206...


Antwerp Central 4th most beautiful station


Fri 06/02/09 12:33 - Antwerp Central is the 4th most beautiful train
station in the world, according to the American magazine Newsweek. St.
Pancras in London (UK) is the most beautiful, followed by Grand
Central Station in New York City (USA), and Chhatrapati Shivaji
station in Mumbai (India).


The American weekly made a ranking of what it considers to be the most
beautiful train stations in the world.
(Belga)


Antwerp Central is fourth on the list.


The article is entitled 'Stations: A Destination That Matches the
Journey'.


"Among the many fine sights to be seen while travelling by train, few
are as pleasantly surprising as the terminals one passes through,"
writes Newsweek.


you can't travel by train through a terminal


It didn't say one passes through the terminals on the train though did
it? Everyone who uses a terminal station passes through it one way or
another.


it 'said' very clearly
one passes through the terminals on the train


--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics
energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best way jfk to grand central station? [email protected] Air travel 4 February 21st, 2005 05:43 PM
Copenhagen metro & Central Station Pete Europe 1 January 29th, 2005 01:00 PM
Copenhagen central station exits Pete Europe 17 August 8th, 2004 06:04 PM
Antwerp Central station weekend closure Miss Lemon Europe 0 November 17th, 2003 04:11 PM
Antwerp Central station weekend closure Alan Osborn Europe 1 September 11th, 2003 08:31 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 TravelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.