Balcony safety?

Old March 30th, 2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Balcony safety?

On Mar 28, 9:19 am, "Madx" wrote:
I guess I'm glad I prefer the inside cabins. But how easy is it to fall off
a balcony? I know on the deck the railings are very high. How high is the
railing on a balcony cabin? Would you have to climb up on it to go over? I
guess each balcony should have an attached net?

To many of these in the news!

You have to either be an idiot or act like one fall off of the balcony
of a cruise ship. I suppose if enough of these idiots "fall off the
ships" they will decide to fix the problem with wire cages around the
balcony area.

Old March 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

Brian K wrote:

On 3/29/2007 10:24 PM wrote:

On Mar 28, 9:19 am, "Madx" wrote:

I guess I'm glad I prefer the inside cabins. But how easy is it to
fall off
a balcony? I know on the deck the railings are very high. How high
is the
railing on a balcony cabin? Would you have to climb up on it to go
over? I
guess each balcony should have an attached net?

To many of these in the news!

You have to either be an idiot or act like one fall off of the balcony
of a cruise ship. I suppose if enough of these idiots "fall off the
ships" they will decide to fix the problem with wire cages around the
balcony area.

While being drunk may get you to go over the side. Ironically, it helps
you survive the fall. But here's another scenario. Have you noticed
that some deck surfaces are very slippery when wet? On at least one
ship I sailed on, the balcony had that surface. After a rain storm an
unsuspecting passenger could step outside to watch dolphins riding the
bow shock. As he is leaning over, he looses his footing and goes over.

For almost everyone their center of gravity is below the rail. Mere
slipping is unlikely to cause a fall overboard. Not is you take a
little jump to get a better view or boast yourself for the view you
might manage the feat. Sitting on the rail would do it as well.

Old March 31st, 2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mar 28, 1:15 pm, "Madx" wrote:
Maybe the balcony cabins shouould be 35 and over with no children.

Actually, even a small child standing on a chair probably wouldn't go
over... the rails are usually pretty high. I always get a balcony,
and my four-year-old has been on four cruises now, starting when she
was two. However, I do make sure the chairs stay far away from the
railing anyway, and she's never alone out there.

Kev

Old March 31st, 2007, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

On 3/30/2007 12:24 PM Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Brian K wrote:

On 3/29/2007 10:24 PM wrote:

On Mar 28, 9:19 am, "Madx" wrote:

[...]

Please explain, " or boast yourself for the view..." . How does this
work? Does the passenger boast, brag to the point of total annoyance of
his fellow passengers -- thereby causing them to hurl him over the
side? Or does the swelled head that comes from boasting change the
center of gravity?

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.

thlink.net...

Brian K wrote:

On 3/29/2007 10:24 PM wrote:

On Mar 28, 9:19 am, "Madx" wrote:

[...]

I think they meant boost and couldn't spell it.
They need to stay away from the balconies also.

We started out on our first cruise with a balcony. In 7 days we spent all of
35 minutes out there.
We found ourselves doing other things and we were up on deck a lot.
Now we always take an inside cabin, high up on the ship in the middle of the
ship. Because of the sliding doors leading to the balcony we find the inside
room has more storage space and more room in it. All of the 4 walls can be
used instead of saving one whole wall (almost) for the balcony.
If we want to see the water we just go out on deck.

Old March 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Don & Lynn

Shhiiiisssh, you are giving away important secrets. The promenade deck is
the largest balcony on the ship and it is on both sides of the ship. And the
more you save, the more you sail.
Smooth Sailing
Don

"Jr." wrote in message
m...

thlink.net...

Old March 31st, 2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MarkT

"Don & Lynn" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Shhiiiisssh, you are giving away important secrets. The promenade deck is
the largest balcony on the ship and it is on both sides of the ship. And
the more you save, the more you sail.
Smooth Sailing
Don

But, Don, you can't go out there in your skivvies after a long day concluded
with a shower, now can you? Or do you???

That is why a balcony cabin is so nice.
Mark T

Old April 1st, 2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:21:51 -0500, "Jr." wrote:

We found ourselves doing other things and we were up on deck a lot.
Now we always take an inside cabin, high up on the ship in the middle of the
ship. Because of the sliding doors leading to the balcony we find the inside
room has more storage space and more room in it. All of the 4 walls can be
used instead of saving one whole wall (almost) for the balcony.
If we want to see the water we just go out on deck.

Probably not good for claustrophobes like my wife though.

Old April 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter

Lee Lindquist wrote:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:19:55 -0700, "Madx" wrote:

I guess I'm glad I prefer the inside cabins. But how easy is it to fall off
a balcony? I know on the deck the railings are very high. How high is the

Have you ever fallen over the railing while riding an escalator?
Comparable.

Actually the rail on the balcony is higher! to fall over accidentally
one really must be sitting on the rail, dancing on a chair or table
beside it, or extremely tall and top heavy.