Back From Cruise and Had Rough Seas and Strong Winds!!!!!Scary!!!!!!!

Old December 6th, 2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
barbara s

Default Back From Cruise and Had Rough Seas and Strong Winds!!!!!Scary!!!!!!!

Hi, We got back from cruise on caribbean princess this sunday and it was
a rough time. Seas were rough and winds strong. 7-9 ft it registered on
captains log for the atlantic ocean. We went to eastern caribbean and we
were on port side, aloha deck, last cabin. So glad we made it home
safely. But I think it will be our last time going on a cruise to
eastern caribbean. The only time the sea calmed down was at princess
cays which was the last day of the cruise. I was seasick and so was my
brother, but Husband and sister-in-law were fine and just found it
difficult to walk around as the ship was rocking and rolling. Has anyone
else had this happen? Barbara and Jeff

Old December 6th, 2006, 03:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

We had 20-25 foot waves coming home from Bermuda this past fall when we
sailed through a Nor'easter.... In the rough North Atlantic... STUFF
happens.

7-9 foot waves are probably "moderate" for the North Atlantic.

--Tom

Old December 6th, 2006, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Wayne \(geek\)

"barbara s" wrote in message
Hi, We got back from cruise on caribbean princess this sunday and it was
a rough time. Seas were rough and winds strong. 7-9 ft it registered on
captains log for the atlantic ocean. We went to eastern caribbean and we
were on port side, aloha deck, last cabin. So glad we made it home
safely. But I think it will be our last time going on a cruise to
eastern caribbean. The only time the sea calmed down was at princess
cays which was the last day of the cruise. I was seasick and so was my
brother, but Husband and sister-in-law were fine and just found it
difficult to walk around as the ship was rocking and rolling. Has anyone
else had this happen? Barbara and Jeff

two years ago we went to the southern Caribbean on Sun Princess. there were
20' swells coming out of Port Everglades.
I was fine, but my wife was out cold on gravol and travel dots. she slept
like a baby until it was over. There were a lot of sick people that day.
This can be expected as you are on the open water.
Our captain moved to the leeward side of any island he could find and that
helped al lot.
too bad you had a bad experience, but sailing can be rocky at times.
Overall, we had a blast.
We are going to Tahiti in January for 11 days on the Tahitian Princess. We
are fully expecting a few rough days as it is that time of the year in the
South Pacific.

wayne

Old December 6th, 2006, 03:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

barbara s wrote:
Hi, We got back from cruise on caribbean princess this sunday and it was
a rough time. Seas were rough and winds strong. 7-9 ft
[...]
difficult to walk around as the ship was rocking and rolling. Has anyone
else had this happen? Barbara and Jeff

Sure. Oceans have waves :-) Those were relatively small for such a
huge ship. Why were you surprised you got home safely?

Years ago, going from Tasmania to New Zealand, the front of the tiny
Island Princess was diving up and down 50 feet at a time. You could
only walk a few feet at a time. It was tiring but all part of the
trip.

Best, Kev

Old December 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Donald Newcomb

"barbara s" wrote in message
I was seasick and so was my
brother, but Husband and sister-in-law were fine and just found it
difficult to walk around as the ship was rocking and rolling. Has anyone
else had this happen?

On our cruise in November from New Orleans to Yucatan on Carnival Fantasy we
passed through a storm on the way down which had about half the guests
seasick to one degree or another. My wife spent much of the day in bed, at
least until the meclezine kicked in. I had no problems at all. The ship was
well stabilized and over 800 feet long. I've spent months at sea in much
worse conditions on far smaller, unstabilized ships. It's all what you're
used to. Of course, some people just can't adapt to the motion.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old December 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

barbara s wrote:
Hi, We got back from cruise on caribbean princess this sunday and it was
a rough time. Seas were rough and winds strong. 7-9 ft it registered on
captains log for the atlantic ocean. We went to eastern caribbean and we
were on port side, aloha deck, last cabin. So glad we made it home
safely.

Gee...not sure what you were expecting. The ship, after all, does
travel in open water. I know many have responded already, but I'll add
my 2¢ anyway. 7-9 ft. seas just aren't that major. I don't think they
even hang the seasickness bags near the stairs for seas that big
(small). Believe me, the ship you voyaged on is designed to withstand
far greater seas than that, so perhaps a bit over dramatic with the
"glad we made it home safely" statement?

Curious...when seas are really high, occasionally outside deck areas
are closed, shows are cancelled, etc. Did anything like that take place
on your cruise? How about the dining room - did most show up for
dinner?

Lee

Old December 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Doug Noble

"barbara s" wrote in message
Hi, We got back from cruise on caribbean princess this sunday and it was
a rough time. Seas were rough and winds strong. 7-9 ft it registered on
captains log for the atlantic ocean. We went to eastern caribbean and we
were on port side, aloha deck, last cabin. So glad we made it home
safely. But I think it will be our last time going on a cruise to
eastern caribbean. The only time the sea calmed down was at princess
cays which was the last day of the cruise. I was seasick and so was my
brother, but Husband and sister-in-law were fine and just found it
difficult to walk around as the ship was rocking and rolling. Has anyone
else had this happen? Barbara and Jeff

MV Explorer - Drake Passage en route to Antarctica - now thats rough but 10'
in the Atlantic .....

Doug

Old December 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

barbara s wrote:
But I think it will be our last time going on a cruise to
eastern caribbean.

You might as well give up cruising altogether. Far worse conditions can
happen on any itinerary.

Warren

Old December 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Proveniebam

Our very first cruise was on the Thomson Topaz around the Canary
Islands and it also took in Morroco and Casablanca. It's an old boat,
and small. It has also sunk twice in it's history.

A tornado (or whatever it's called at sea) came through a few days
before we got on the boat. The captain said the seas were too rough to
leave port, and apparently was fired and replaced with a new captain.
He took it out and we met 20-30ft waves. On a smaller cruise ship
that's rough.

We hit a wave that it shattered half of the glasses and most of the
booze. Not good on an all-inclusive cruise! Another wave snapped a life
boat support and had it crash into someones cabin. Casablanca was
closed because another ship had sank in the mouth of the port. It took
2 days to get into Madeira.

There were sick bags every 3 feet on all corridors. The ships captain
and ships doctor were both seasick. I felt like I had bulima.

Did it stop us going on another cruise? Nope. I actually lost weight on
that cruise (lol) and to watch the 70 year olds trying to walk down a
corridor that was rising and falling 10 ft was histerical: they'd
struggle on the upswing maybe moving 2 inches, then travel 30ft on the
downswing.

It's all a part of cruising. Sure it was rough, but man was it an
adventure. Our next 6 cruises were mill-ponds and we certainly
appreciate it more.