How serious isPrincess about their service credo?

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

Default How serious isPrincess about their service credo?

I just read the following on the bottom of page 3 in Princess' European
brochure. (And I'm sure it's also in all their other brochures.)

AT YOUR SERVICE Let yourself be treated to warm smiles, genuine
hospitality, and an UNWAVERING ATTENTION TO YOUR NEEDS. (last emphasis
added by me. ) Our C.R.U.I.S.E ® credo says it all---Courtesy,
Respect, Unfailing in Service Excellence. It's what you find on every
Princess cruise.

We will be on the Star Princess this August for a Baltic cruise. My
wife's chiropracter has told her to use a contour pillow (a pillow that
gives extra neck support) to avoid headaches.) Sure enough, we were just
out of town for a few days at her Mother's house for the holidays
without her contour pillow, and she ended with a migraine headache. Ten
days in the Baltics with migraines would turn a dream vacation into a
nightmare.

I called our travel agent today . He knew what a contour pillow was. He
looked up what Princess had to offer in special pillows and came up with
hypoallergenic, goosefeather, and duck down, but no contour pillow. (He
thought at least one cruise line, he thought Celebrity, did offer them.)

He was going to contact their special services department and see if he
could get them to provide one for her.

So, how seriously do they take their above
commitment to service? Do you think they will provide the pillow? It's
not like we're asking for some very expensive service from them. The
pillow is $40 in the J.C. Penny catalogue. She bought one for $30 from
her chiropracter. There may very well be even cheaper ones available.

If necessary, she could bring it as airline carry on, but it seems a
much better alternative to have them provide it as opposed top
schlepping it across the Atlantic Ocean

Old December 27th, 2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jeff
Gersten wrote:

So, how seriously do they take their above
commitment to service? Do you think they will provide the pillow? It's
not like we're asking for some very expensive service from them. The
pillow is $40 in the J.C. Penny catalogue. She bought one for $30 from
her chiropracter. There may very well be even cheaper ones available.

If necessary, she could bring it as airline carry on, but it seems a
much better alternative to have them provide it as opposed top
schlepping it across the Atlantic Ocean

You should take your own pillow. It is a stretch to think this falls
under their service credo. Further you don't want to be dependent on
Princess to provide such an item. Find a pillow that you have tested
rather than hope that something they provide will be sufficient if the
lack of it could turn your vacation into a nightmare.

--
Charles
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Jeff Gersten wrote:
So, how seriously do they take their above
commitment to service? Do you think they will provide the pillow? It's
not like we're asking for some very expensive service from them. The
pillow is $40 in the J.C. Penny catalogue. She bought one for $30 from
her chiropracter. There may very well be even cheaper ones available.

Great idea! I think they should give me $40 worth of something too.
And everyone else! Yeah, that's it. Two thousand custom gifts per
cruise. Woo hoo!

Seriously, I suppose you could ask them if they'd get one IF *you* paid
for it and the cost of getting it. Or you could have one sent to the
ship. Sounds like a lot of trouble when you could just bring one
along.

When our child was young, we used to buy an extra baby bathtub and
bring it on overseas cruises, and just leave it in the ship. That also
left extra room in the duffel suitcase for stuff we bought overseas ;-)

Kev

Old December 27th, 2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
cruisestitch

Jeff Gersten wrote:
[...]

My rule is, if it's necessary for my health or comfort, I don't trust
anyone
else to provide it for me -- I bring my own. They may make all the
assurances in the world that they will provide one, but if they don't,
you'll wish you had just brought your own.

Old December 27th, 2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter

Jeff Gersten wrote:

If necessary, she could bring it as airline carry on, but it seems a
much better alternative to have them provide it as opposed top
schlepping it across the Atlantic Ocean

Actually packing it is another alternative and I agree with charles,
this is just too grand a cruise to take a chance on someone else's
interpretation of your needs. You will not regret it.
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
cruisestitch

Jeff Gersten wrote:
[...]

don't, you'll wish you had just brought your own and will just end up
being miserable and disappointed. Too many things can go wrong.

Old December 27th, 2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_2_]

Joseph Coulter wrote:
Jeff Gersten wrote:

If necessary, she could bring it as airline carry on, but it seems a
much better alternative to have them provide it as opposed top
schlepping it across the Atlantic Ocean

Actually packing it is another alternative and I agree with charles,
this is just too grand a cruise to take a chance on someone else's
interpretation of your needs. You will not regret it.

The pillow would probably pack pretty flat in one of those plastic bags
that lets you roll all the air out.

Ermalee
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Ermalee wrote:
Joseph Coulter wrote:

Jeff Gersten wrote:

If necessary, she could bring it as airline carry on, but it seems a
much better alternative to have them provide it as opposed top
schlepping it across the Atlantic Ocean

Actually packing it is another alternative and I agree with charles,
this is just too grand a cruise to take a chance on someone else's
interpretation of your needs. You will not regret it.

The pillow would probably pack pretty flat in one of those plastic bags
that lets you roll all the air out.

Excellant idea Ermalee.

I agree with those who said if this pillow is important to your wife's
heath, then bring it with you. Migraines are not fun at all and I
would do everything possible to avoid getting one.

sue

sue
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Ermalee wrote:

Joseph Coulter wrote:

Jeff Gersten wrote:

If necessary, she could bring it as airline carry on, but it seems a
much better alternative to have them provide it as opposed top
schlepping it across the Atlantic Ocean

Actually packing it is another alternative and I agree with charles,
this is just too grand a cruise to take a chance on someone else's
interpretation of your needs. You will not regret it.

The pillow would probably pack pretty flat in one of those plastic
bags that lets you roll all the air out.

Excellant idea Ermalee.

I agree with those who said if this pillow is important to your wife's
heath, then bring it with you. Migraines are not fun at all and I would
do everything possible to avoid getting one.

sue

Jeff,
You can't really count on the cruise line to "come through" for
you with something like this and if it is really a serious
consideration, pack up the pillow in either one of those roll up bags
or one of those "suck the air out" bags and at the end of the ask the
steward for the use of the vacuum cleaner to repack it. Either that or
donate it to the ship!
Cheers and Happy Cruising,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MarkT

"Jeff Gersten" wrote in message
[...]

Bring your own pillow. They turn down the bed, give you mints and clean up
your messes, all with a smile and a "Sir" or "Ma'am" . THAT is what they
mean by their credo, and they do it well.

Mark T