Ft. Lauderdale port baggage handlers

Old January 1st, 2004, 01:46 PM
Angela Wilson

Default Ft. Lauderdale port baggage handlers

While I can't speak for the originally poster, what I find objectionable
is the porter telling me how much I should tip and that constant rap
about how they are the last people to touch my stuff. Enough all
ready--just do the job and I tip accordingly. That begging stuff always
lowers my standard generous tip. But thats just me

JLeary256 wrote:
I always tip. It's customary and a couple bucks a bag is the least of any
travel expenses. So what their salaried?? It's manual labor and my opinon
only- deserving of the few dollars.

Old January 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM
JLeary256

Old January 1st, 2004, 02:48 PM
Jay

JLeary256 wrote:

I always tip. It's customary and a couple bucks a bag is the least of
any
travel expenses. So what their salaried?? It's manual labor and my
opinon
only- deserving of the few dollars.

we left on the busiest day on record (Dec 20)...the baggage handlers at
the Oosterdam dock were courteous and extremely helpful..we tipped
Old January 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Christofurcats

those poor baggage handers are really longshoremen who make on a sat or sun
$400-500 dollars of which $300 is cash ,u should be so lucky
Old January 1st, 2004, 03:50 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:08:06 GMT, Samuel Plimsol
wrote:

Maybe they should join the longshoremen union.

Hi Samuel,

I am fairly certain they are members of a union.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Old January 2nd, 2004, 02:44 AM
Makeda one

we did the Legend on 11/29..embark lines so long that i had a chance to read
all the posted notices....BUT, to be on the safe side, still tipped a buck a
bag coming and going!

happy new year!
Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:01 AM
shoreguy

Extortion is a good description. The guys who get the tips are well paid
union workers on weekend pay. The crime is the folks who really do the work
don't see a dime of the tip money. All these guys do is move the bags 40
feet and dump them in a cage.

The real work is done by the ships crew that has to break down the luggage
and hall it up to your cabin. The first time I was there our driver
explained this to us and I have limited my tips ever since. I make sure I
tip well those that I should and make sure those that wish to take advantage
of there position get very little or none.

"*muffin*" wrote in message
over the years I have gotten used to the 'extortion' of paying baggage
handlers . So when I unloaded my luggage at Ft. Lauderdale port in Nov, I
automatically paid my "bribes". THEN I walked about 40 feet & saw a sign

on
the wall !! the sign said something like baggage handlers are salaried
employees, no tipping necessary.. huh?????

*great* hmmph

sooooo on the way off the ship, I asked one of the cruiseline employees
standing around and asked them about the tipping. I got a REAL vague
hesitant reply... I was told,, "well, uhh,, you can do whatever you feel
comfortable with". ohh gee, great answer..

soooooo for those of you who have been to Ft. Lauderdale recently,, do you
still tip?? or not & worry IF your luggage will survive??

Muffin heading on the ggc2004 with a bunch of my friends!!!!!!!!!

Old January 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Mason

If it really bugs you, just don't give the guy his measly $5 or whatever. It's
just not that big of a deal.

I generally tip people doing manual labor on my behalf, especially if hot sun
is a factor.

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me
some coffee."
- Abraham Lincoln