Newbie Questions

Old June 5th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Robert Bob Edwards

Default Newbie Questions

I think that it's important for you to find a travel agent that
specializes in cruises.

On Saturday mornings a local radio station has a program about travel.
A lady who was going on her first cruise called in. It turned out that
she had been given very poor and incomplete advice from a local travel
agent who had little volume in cruise bookings.

Old June 5th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Tom & Linda

Here's an interesting test to take. 4 Questions to help you pick a cruise
line - a good place to start.

http://www.02cruise.com/LineSearch/index.asp

No cruise line holds prices secret. You can call any of their 800 numbers.
Princess' is 1-800-LOVEBOA(T) Celebrity's is 1-800-437-3111 RCI's is
1-800-327-6700 (there are others, but I have these memorized). They'll give
you pricing for every category. Tell you what's available and what isn't.

But a caveat. Just about ALL TA's will beat those prices that they quote,
since it assumes full commission, which TA's will generally share with you.
Never book with the cruise line or you'll pay too much. Though what I'll
frequently do is do a booking with the cruise line to hold what I want, and
then turn the booking over to a TA. Just tell the cruise line you'll do
that, and they'll note it in the booking that a TA will call and pick up the
booking. They're fine with that.

As far as itinerary, if you want something "different", don't exclude things
like the Mediterranean: Rome, Greek Isles, Monte Carlo, Malta, Barcelona,
Naples, Venice, Casablanca, etc.

I'm a big fan of the Southern Caribbean. That's my favorite itinerary so
far, but I love snorkeling. I'm not a beach person per se, it's what's
under the surface of the water that I love.

Alaska with things like kayaking might also be a thought.

--Tom

"*bicker*" wrote in message
. ..

We're a couple of forty-something first-time cruisers,
looking for a bit of help clearing up the incredible
profusion of confusion with respect to finding the right
cruise for us, and getting the best price. Pointers to any
FAQs would be greatly appreciated, but so would any specific
advice given our specific specifications.

We're active people (though not athletes), so one focus of
concern is how we can stay active while on a cruise
vacation. (Just for comparison, on previous vacations, we
hiked the Great Smokeys of Tennessee and the White Mountains
of New Hampshire, but we didn't do any really difficult
ascents, and we don't get into the whole rugged,
outdoors-overnight scene.)

We note that many of the ports-of-call have available
excursions that include some level of physical activity, and
so it seems that we can get some satisfaction in that
direction. Also, most of the big ships have at least some
significant level of exercise facilities (besides
play-pools, which isn't what we're looking for in terms of
physical activity). Though, it seems some have invested a
lot of money in specific facilities that we aren't likely to
use (rock walls, ice skating rinks), so it makes me wonder
if they've invested so much in these things that we'll find
other options lacking.

While getting warm mid-winter is part of our objective, the
more itineraries and excursions expose us to history and/or
nature, the better. We're not beachfolk. We've considered
Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean and Southern Caribbean
cruises, and are leaning towards the latter, just because
the ports-of-call appeal to us more. We're aiming toward a
full week cruise.

We've surfed a few of the web sites, most notably Royal
Caribbean. Princess won't share the secret of how much
their cruises cost online, so I'm wondering if that's a
warning sign. Is the industry actually structured so that
you cannot comparison shop, without commiting yourself to a
travel agent?

We won't consider any "last-minute" situations: Our jobs
require us to give lots of notice, and we get so little
vacation time that I'd not want to chance not finding a
decent option available to us, should we try to wait for
last minute.

We're flying from Boston, so we've been focusing on cruises
from Miami or San Juan.

So, what is it that we don't know? What should we be
worried and concerned about? How should we approach this
new type of vacation?

--
bicker®
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/D...ry_040602.html

Old June 5th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Tom & Linda

"*bicker*" wrote in message
. ..
A Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:36:28 -0400, Howie
escribió:
I recommend that you look into the Carnival Spirit or Legend, 8-day
Exotic Western Caribbean itinerary next winter (Belize, Costa Rica, and
Panama). Both are excellent, ships (great food, service, ambiance),
with great fitness facilities. On this particular itinerary, there are
a lot of outdoorsy things to do. In particular, I found zip lining
through the jungle canopy in Costa Rica to be one of the most exciting
experiences of my life. You can't do this through a ship's tour (which
is good); you book it on your own.

Thanks for the reply. My wife really got excited about
Costa Rica. However, I have two concerns. First, it seems
like that itinerary has more time at sea than we'd like.
Most of the 8-day cruises we've been looking at have four
ports-of-call, not just three. Second, Carnival seems to be
geared towards younger folks than us -- our impression is
that it is more of a party ship than we'd be comfortable
with. Are we on target with that understanding?

We all have differing opinions. Many, like Howie, love Carnival. I did one
Carnival sailing (Carnival Destiny) out of my 30 cruises and it was quite
simply below my minimal acceptable level. The food and service were the
worst of my 30 cruises. The cruise director was obnoxious, and featured a
weeks worth of fart jokes and jokes being derogatory of women (a big too low
class for me). The crowd on board... well I remember the guy that had a
"Suck This" T-shirt on. Of course our daughter, who was 10 at the time, had
to ask "Suck What?". They sell buckets of beer on board. They didn't do a
good job of keeping the ship clean. Apple cores sat on the deck all day
till the cleaning crew came at night. Smokers would just flick their ashes
on the beautiful teak wood decking, instead of using the ash tray 12 inches
in front of them. It's just not a good fit for me.

I prefer something much more elegant, more chic, more into pampering - like
a nice Hyatt hotel. I prefer Celebrity and Princess.

But we're all different. Carnival has a huge following.

--Tom

Old June 5th, 2004, 06:07 PM
JLeary256

Ok some tips. In the winter- YOU NEED TO strongly consider arriving at your
embarkment port at least 1 day early. If your priority is price- it is mine.
Then you need to do a LOT of homework to educate yourself about cruising
and your ports of interest, be sure to look over a shore excursion list for
ideas of what is available- but leave your self open for booking independent if
of interest. Head to your library and take out cruising and Caribbean travel
books, pick up a variety of cruise brochures. Last minute can be bargains- BUT
not if you have the specifics that you do. Next best thing is to book in
advance but keep track of pricing trends yourself then immediately contact your
booking agent and request an adjustment. This is especially important PRIOR to
final payment. For prices- look at several sites- also consider
www.cruisecompete.com and place an ad on www.cruisemates.com shopping page
once you decide on the ship and date. Carnival in the winter and especially
on their 8 day cruises won't be over run with kids, nor young passengers. Will
be more of a mix. Read cruise reviews from this winter around the time you want
to go and see if this fits your ideas. A great deal will depend on when you
want to go for pricing. Avoid Christmas/New Year's week, President's week for
lower prices. Be forewarned - the Caribbean is loaded with "beach"
activities of which are usually the better touring options. Within those there
are some excellent opportunities for snorkling, a major reason I prefer West
Caribbean. Also if your port included Belize- great cave tubing.
Head over to www.cruisecritic.com ports of call board and read the first hand
reports of past visitors.
Old June 5th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Howie

Tom & Linda wrote:

. ..

escribió:

[...]

Did you happen to forget that I've been on all of the major lines,
multiple times, Tom.

Howie

Old June 5th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Dick Goldhaber

bicker®

The problem is that by asking the original question you have invited
differing opinions from as many contributors as there are here.

Here is one more. Find yourself a good "cruise only" TA. There are a bunch
of them who post on this newsgroup.

Tell them what you have told us. That is why they make a commission....to
make your cruising experience the best it can be, and if you love it, to
have you come back to them the next time and the next.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ
ospam

. ..

Old June 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Tom & Linda

"Howie" wrote in message
Tom & Linda wrote:

. ..

escribió:

[...]

Didn't say you weren't. Said you liked Carnival, along with many others.
It's a good fit for you. It's not a good for me. And there's many of us
that it's not a good fit for.

We're different. We like different things. Hence differing opinions of the
various lines. Nothing wrong with that. You want a disco that's open till
2:00 am. I'd rather have a cruise director that Shuts Up all day. I can't
stand obnoxious announcements. You want a nice gym. I've never gone near a
gym on a ship. I want elegance and pampering instead.

But just as we recognize that there are many for whom Carnival IS a good
fit, we need to recognize that there are many for whom Carnival is NOT a
good fit. Same with Celebrity and Princess. Same with Cunard and HAL.
Same with Crystal and Seabourn. Same with NCL and RCI.

Our individuality comes into play.

I don't think that you can assume "statistically" VBG that just because
you liked Carnival that someone else would.

--Tom

Old June 5th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Howie

Tom & Linda wrote:

"Howie" wrote in message

Tom & Linda wrote:

om...

escribió:

[...]

It is not as either-or as you make it sound, Tom. If you had done more
than your one 5 day Destiny cruise (and I'm not suggesting that you go
on Carnival again), you might realize this.

You want a nice gym. I've never gone near a
gym on a ship. I want elegance and pampering instead.

But just as we recognize that there are many for whom Carnival IS a good
fit, we need to recognize that there are many for whom Carnival is NOT a
good fit. Same with Celebrity and Princess. Same with Cunard and HAL.
Same with Crystal and Seabourn. Same with NCL and RCI.

Our individuality comes into play.

I certainly agrre with you on this, Tom.

I don't think that you can assume "statistically" VBG that just because
you liked Carnival that someone else would.

I never make this assumption. The dude was asking for some advice. I
considered what he was looking for, dug into my deep repetoire of cruise
ships, and provided some.

Howie

Old June 5th, 2004, 08:26 PM
*bicker*

A Sat, 05 Jun 2004 11:21:09 -0400, Charles
escribió:
After a number of years I have built up a small list. Not major brands
except one local agent at an American Express office. A reason to have
a small list, or expand your quote getting is that a cruise could be
"sold out" or priced high to most agents but some agencies belong to
consortiums that have booked and are holding blocks of group space and
have cabins available that other agents don't have, and at lower
prices, too.

Understood; blocks of inventory; that sort of thing.
Gotchya.

If you have a that local agent who you use regularly you might start
with them when you get serious about booking. Getting a quote isn't
making a commitment.

I've not used a travel agent since 1991, and that was three
cities ago. grin I'm not aware of what's been going on
in the travel agency biz since then. Is it still "free" to
get quotes and stuff?

Old June 5th, 2004, 08:35 PM
*bicker*

A Sat, 05 Jun 2004 16:55:54 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
escribió:
We all have differing opinions. Many, like Howie, love Carnival. I did one
Carnival sailing (Carnival Destiny) out of my 30 cruises and it was quite
simply below my minimal acceptable level. ... It's just not a good fit for me.
I prefer something much more elegant, more chic, more into pampering - like
a nice Hyatt hotel. I prefer Celebrity and Princess.

You're a snob! Just like my wife and I! grin

Seriously, I'm sure it is very important to keep all advice
in the context of what you've said here, and find and use
advice from folks who's sensibilities are closest to one's
own. My mother, for example, has a good amount of
information about cruising, but she's almost 70, never had
the slightest interest in fitness, etc. I have to believer
her advice is at best irrelevant; at worst, misleading -- at
least to me.

Having said that, assuming that my preferences and those of
my wife are closer towards yours, I'm wondering what you
think of RCI? We've checked out Princess' web site, but
found we resonated with RCI's web site better. (See how
superficial our understanding and knowledge is? We're still
at the point of relying on gut-feel from web sites!)

Backing up a few....

The food and service were the worst of my 30 cruises.

I've heard bad things about the food on RCI, too. Of
course, the same web site that had lots of warnings about
bad food still had RCI ranked among the best wrt food. Go
figure. Just to be clear, though, we're very finicky. The
food has got to be very health-conscious. A plain,
undistinguished fillet of salmon would please us, while the
very best salmon in cream sauce would not satisfy us in the
slightest.

The cruise director was obnoxious, and featured a
weeks worth of fart jokes and jokes being derogatory of women (a big too low
class for me).

Ugh. I don't know what else to say. Just, ugh.