Excursion Alternatives

Old August 9th, 2004, 03:26 AM
RichC

Default Excursion Alternatives

As everyone has already said, there are no problems in any of the ports
mentioned. If you want to cut the cost of a private cab find a compatible
couple to cut the cab cost with & you can really cut tour costs.

"*bicker*" wrote in message
. ..
My wife and I have made our first cut at the excursions we'd
take, should we decide to take cruise-line sponsored
excursions at every port-of-call. (We'll probably only do
three or four excursions, total, and may or may not do them
all cruise-line sponsored, depending on how much confidence
we gain in individual excursion provider's reliability, both
in terms of service quality and in terms of getting us back
to the ship in time no matter what...) This is surely one
of the issues that experienced cruisers can really provide a
lot of insight into. All ideas and recommendation would be
greatly appreciated!

St. Thomas
- Cas Cay Eco-Tour Float/Hike/Snorkel

St. Maarten
- Kayaking Snorkel Tour

Antigua
- Forts of Antigua Historical Tour

Barbados
- Rainforest Hike & Cave Adventure

St. Lucia
- Soody Nature Hike & Mineral Waterfall

We know we want to do one combo kayaking/snorkeling
excursion. We took a sea kayaking course locally a couple
of years ago, so recreational kayaking (in waters above 50
degrees F) should be a breeze by comparison. We've never
been snorkeling. Each port has one, it seems, but the
latter three ports seem to have more interesting options
beyond that, so we'll probably want choose one of the first
two. My wife's preference is to do this in St. Thomas,
since it is our first stop, but my preference is to do this
in St. Maarten, since I'd be more leery about walking St.
Maarten without being part of an excursion (which would
likely be the alternative) given that we don't speak Dutch,
French OR Carib. g

The Barbados choice is almost a done-deal for us. It sounds
so incredibly perfect. The St. Lucia choice also sounds
very good, but we're a little taken aback by doing a 7 hour
excursion when the ship is only in port for 9 hours total
(including clearing customs and such, right?)

--
bicker®
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/D...ry_040602.html

Old August 9th, 2004, 12:11 PM
*bicker*

A Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:26:30 -0400, "RichC"
escribió:
As everyone has already said, there are no problems in any of the ports
mentioned. If you want to cut the cost of a private cab find a compatible
couple to cut the cab cost with & you can really cut tour costs.

Well, we're really trying to stay away from tours and cabs.
We're active people looking for active diversions, which is
why the focus on hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, spelunking
and swimming.

One thing I'm especially interested in is a comparison of
the available combined kayaking/snorkeling excursions on St.
Thomas and St. Maarten (keeping in mind that we're only
marginally-advanced beginner kayakers, and utterly novice
with respect to snorkeling). Does anyone have any
experience with either?

Old August 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Charles

In article , *bicker*
wrote:

One thing I'm especially interested in is a comparison of
the available combined kayaking/snorkeling excursions on St.
Thomas and St. Maarten (keeping in mind that we're only
marginally-advanced beginner kayakers, and utterly novice
with respect to snorkeling). Does anyone have any
experience with either?

I have not done kayaking at either. Have done snorkeling. St. Thomas
is the place to do snorkeling. Pick one of the excursions that takes
you to St.John. this is a beautiful National Park. The snorkeling is
very good. I have never kayaked there but years ago I did a lot of
kayaking and canoeing. Three and four day overnight canoe trips, so I
think I could express an opinion, I would do it on a St. John
excursion. St. John would also be a great place for hiking.

For something active at St. Maartin I suggest the Americas Cup Regatta.
They have two sailboats that were used in the America's cup years ago
race agianst each other. You are the crew. Participants can be as
active as they desire. (there are non active jobs too). I have done
this excursion and it was a blast. I loved it. One of the few cruise
ship excursions that I would recomend.

--
Charles

Old August 9th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:46:13 -0400, *bicker* wrote:

Wrong excursion.

Yeah? Why so?

Because the number one excursion for St. Maarten is the America's Cup
Challenge; no contest.

Old August 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 21:54:13 -0400, Dick Goldhaber wrote:

Further excrement from the poster formerly known as Island Gal and Cruising
Chrissy.

Sorry, Goldie, that's Danni's dog mess you stepped in.

When the going gets tough, change your ID.

Speaking of getting tough, your growing older by the minute and your rent
is inversely proportioned. All that cruising you did and you have NADA for
equity, NADA for controlled housing cost, NADA for ownership. Excellent
monetary skills.

That is really brilliant, Goldie. When you die, you can leave Danni and
Doggie a room full of cruising memories ......and a lease.

Old August 9th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbea...cascup_pic.htm