American traveller seeks advice

Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Hans Martens

Default American traveller seeks advice

Charles Jones wrote:
I'm an American, I am going to be doing some world travel, entailing a
combination of education and business. Some of my travels may include
at least some brief time in a variety of African nations (both north
and south of the Sahara). Can someone give me some advice on the most
blatant ways that Americans sometimes fail to appreciate the cultures
in various African nations, in thought or deed, and how I might best
avoid making an idiot of myself? Contexts of interest include not
just business and school settings, but social settings, restaurants,
shopping places, even visits to people's homes -- hell, even the
dating scene, one never knows -- really anything you can think of.
It's kind of a broad, open question, I realize, but since I'm not sure
what exactly I'm looking for, I thought an open-ended question would
be best. All replies much appreciated.

Charles, in many parts of the world it may be better not to mention the
fact you are American too loudly.

Why?
- At the moment with the present Bush administration Americans are
perceived to be very intolerant and aggressive.
- Americans are (even with the low dollar) perceived as not just being
rich. But also as throwing dollars everywhere. Many Americans do tip
ridiculously in third world countries. So if people know you are from
the US, they may expect the dollars to flow richly.

As mentioned already, Americans are often very loud. The do speak a lot
and they do speak very loud. Their conversations being dominant. Please
try to be more in the background. Don't see yourself as the centre of
the universe.

And indeed as well as with converstations and behaviour, also try to
blend in with clothing. I have once withnessed (in the wilderness of
Botswana) and American family (father, mother, two children and grandma)
being driven around in a landrover, all dressed up exactly alike in
brandnew (full!) safari clothes. The women where also wearing very
bright make-up. It looked completely ridiculous. Even worse, the kids
where bored, wearing a headset and playing with their gameboys...!

The best advice is to try and blend in. Be open for new things and just
try to adapt yourself.

Regards,
Hans

P.s. Africa is a mighty big place and countries and cultures do vary
enormously! The weatherman on CNN may see Africa as one place and have
15 seconds to talk about the weather there, in reality it is HUGE and
hugely varied.

==================================
Hans Martens

Wildlife & Nature Photography
http://www.wildpicture.com
==================================

Old April 4th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Chessie

Hans Martens wrote in message t.nl...
Charles Jones wrote:
[...]

Charles,
1) I would suggest reading as much as possible about the countries you
are visiting-- history...current events... arts and music...even
fiction by local authors. Most Americans are breathtakenly ignorant
about the rest of the world. Showing some basic knowledge and
appreciation of these things can provide a basis for discussion and
more learning. Also read the local newspapers--especially the
editorial pages-- when you arrive in the country. (this will
reinforce the points that Hans made about the image most people have
of the US now. However, I do believe that most people outside the US
are better at separating "government" and "people"., especially if you
avoid acting like an obnoxious stereotype.) However, once you do this
preparation, DO NOT think that you know very much about the country!
These are just entry points for your learning. This advance
preparation will increase your learning and enjoyment and help you
avoid acting like a bad stereotype.

2) Don't complain about situations and conditions. Don't compare
things to how they are in the US., or offer "solutions" to what you
perceive as their problems. Make sure you show your appreciation for
all the good things you encounter in a country.

3) If you encounter others from the US, be cordial (obviously!) but
don't hang out with them because you feel most comfortable with them.
I was once at a resort in Brazil with a group of Americans...at
dinners, everyone had a chance to choose their table. Most people
from the US wanted to sit by other Americans! What a bore...why not
actively seek the company of people from another country while
travelling? And at a safari camp, all the Americans were hanging out
together around the campfire when there was a very interesting local
who worked for a conservation organization standing there alone.
Sure, you have to listen more carefully to someone who speaks English
with an accent. He had fascinating opinions and stories, and I had
him all to myself. Why go to Botswana to hang out with other
Americans?

4) Try to learn at least a few words in the language of the country--
Good day, please, thank you....It's fun and it will usually win you a
few "good tourist" points.

Have a great time on your travels!

PS to Hans: On my next trip should I wear a pin that says, "Don't
blame me, I'm from California." ? I'm tempted... I have started
telling people that I am from California instead of saying that I am
from the US. It is important for people outside the US to understand
that many of us deplore the actions of the current administration.
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:36 PM
richard b

"Chessie" wrote in message
om...
Hans Martens wrote in message

t.nl...
PS to Hans: On my next trip should I wear a pin that says, "Don't
blame me, I'm from California." ? I'm tempted... I have started
telling people that I am from California instead of saying that I am
from the US. It is important for people outside the US to understand
that many of us deplore the actions of the current administration.

No why you're not responsible for the actions of your government, any
more than the Zimbabweans, or Nigerians are. The African governments
in general are far more corrupt than the your government they just don't
have the infrastructure, finances or industry to attract the attention of
the
world like the USA does. Yet they are responsible for more poverty,
suffering
and deaths in their own countries, than the USA has ever been. I would be
proud to be an American, they do much good in the world along with other
first world countries.
Remember Africans are very poor compared to the average American, or
European just don't flaunt your wealth, be good humoured, and polite and
like some else said a greeting in their language and Africa is ecological
paradise waiting to be discovered.
Enjoy
Richard.

Old April 4th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Hans Martens

Chessie wrote:
PS to Hans: On my next trip should I wear a pin that says, "Don't
blame me, I'm from California." ? I'm tempted... I have started
telling people that I am from California instead of saying that I am
from the US. It is important for people outside the US to understand
that many of us deplore the actions of the current administration.

I fully agree with you. Unfortunately your present government wasn't
even choosen by the majority of the americans. He just happened to have
a brother in Miami, which came in handy....:-)

Luckily most people in Africa will see you as a person first and as
being from a specific country second.

Enjoy Africa, it is such a migical place!

Regards,
Hans