YMCAs in NYC: members only?

Old December 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_2_]

Default YMCAs in NYC: members only?

I'm from England and I'm planning a trip to NYC.
Hotels in New York are very expensive, so I am thinking about YMCAs in
the big apple.

A couple of questions:

* Do I need to be a member of the YMCA organization, before I can book
a room?
* Are Single rooms available? I would be OK with sharing communal
bathrooms.

Thanks
Bruce
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

In

" wrote:

I'm from England and I'm planning a trip to NYC.
Hotels in New York are very expensive, so I am thinking about YMCAs in
the big apple.

Can't answer your questions directly, but here's a link to contact info
for the Ys in the New York metro area.

http://www.ymcanyc.org/index.php?id=963

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_2_]

On 29 Dec, 13:53, Bert Hyman wrote:

" wrote:
I'm from England and I'm planning a trip to NYC.
Hotels in New York are very expensive, so I am thinking about YMCAs in
the big apple.

Can't answer your questions directly, but here's a link to contact info
for the Ys in the New York metro area.

http://www.ymcanyc.org/index.php?id=963

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Thanks. Looks like non-members are allowed!
Some of the hostels and Y's in NYC look to be as good as budget
hotels. You can book a single room with shared or en-suite bathroom.
Hostelz.com looks OK for these.

So, can anyone recommend a hostel or Y in Manhattan for a non-
backpacker 40-something gent who just wants no-frills accommodation
without the hotel price tags? I really don't want to be surrounded by
a place full of noisy teenagers, if I can help it.

Bruce
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

" wrote:
[...]

NYC hotels are expensive (and the pound is low, so sorry). We stayed
at this hotel, about $100 a night, with your own bathroom. Basic,
small rooms.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-11133583...hotel-new-york
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:20:06 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
I'm from England and I'm planning a trip to NYC.
Hotels in New York are very expensive, so I am thinking about YMCAs in
the big apple.

If your travel dates can be flexible, why don't you see what you can get
by placing a bid on priceline.com for a room in a regular hotel?

If you book a NYC discounted hotel, be sure to check if there are any reviews on
the net. I had a somewhat bad experience once when I discovered that 'club
quarters's continental breakfast wasn't free. The assholes not only laid out
the lame breakfast pastries without any indication of a charge, but then charged
$12.95/person and added in a generous tip for themselves. When I asked them to
take the tip off because they didn't provide the slightest service and I had to
go to the front desk to get somebody to make coffee available, they got
incredibly rude, made a scene about being unable to reverse a charge and then
manager showed some lovely theatrics by reaching into his pockets and grabbing
out some money to throw at me. Checking reviews can avoid you a similar
experience.
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_2_]

" wrote:
I'm from England and I'm planning a trip to NYC.
Hotels in New York are very expensive, so I am thinking about YMCAs in
the big apple.

If your travel dates can be flexible, why don't you see what you can get
by placing a bid on priceline.com for a room in a regular hotel?

If you book a NYC discounted hotel, be sure to check if there are any reviews on
the net. I had a somewhat bad experience once when I discovered that 'club
quarters's continental breakfast wasn't free.

Thanks. I've been reading web reviews today. Some of them are
shocking, especially at the cheaper end.
In particular, I read about people turning up to the hotel and the
hotel knows nothing about their reservation. Then charging them the
rack rate...Imagine flying from Europe and getting that!
When I book hotels in Europe I always use bookings.com. I have *never*
had a single problem with reservations.
Question: Is bookings.com used by NYC hotels? There are many NYC
hotels on the bookings.com web site. Or should I try a more US-centric
web site to book my hotel?

Thanks
Bruce
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

" wrote:
[...]

US booking sites may not take non US credit cards. Some sites such as
Expedia are international. Another poster suggested priceline.com,
but I think they only accept US credit cards.
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_2_]

On 30 Dec, 16:50, PeterL wrote:
On Dec 30, 8:13 am, " bruce_phi...@my-

" wrote:
[...]

Any chance that NYC hotel prices will fall next year, as the credit
crunch starts to bite?
I imagine that transatlantic air fares will be a bit lower next year.
Less tourists and business travellers = more spare hotel rooms = lower
rates.

Bruce
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

" wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing here, but if you can find a Y or a hostel on the upper west
side, you'll be in a less touristy and therefore quieter area. Look between
6th ave and the river, between about 59th to 95th street. Of course, if you
see one you like elsewhere, you can write and ask. Hostels invite the
backpack crowd more than Ys do, but I doubt either tolerates loud parties.

Keith

Old January 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_2_]

On 12/31/2008 6:29 PM Shawn Hirn did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
In article
,
" wrote:

Any chance that NYC hotel prices will fall next year, as the credit
crunch starts to bite?

Perhaps, although I wouldn't count on it. The credit crunch has already
bitten down hard on Wall Street firms, and in three weeks, there will be
a new guy in the White House, so the situation might improve.

I imagine that transatlantic air fares will be a bit lower next year.
Less tourists and business travellers = more spare hotel rooms = lower
rates.

This all really requires a good crystal ball. Air fares can go up, or
they may go down, or remain the same. Ditto for hotel room rates.

Another fact to be taken into consideration, not all hotels in NYC are
owned by American innkeeper companies. Those owned by other nationals
may not be as badly effected.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera