Should I buy the airfare through Princess Cruises.

Old January 25th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Joyce Johnston

Default Should I buy the airfare through Princess Cruises.

Hi all

I live in Casper, WY and my family is planning a cruise to Alaska this
coming June. Just wondering if we should buy the airfare through
Princess Cruises. A friend came across a website called buying cruises
dot com or something like that and they offer airfare through the
cruise company from Casper that is just as cheap as what our local
travel agent can get us out of Denver. Should we buy the airfare
through Princess or can we do better on our own?

J. Johnston
Old January 25th, 2004, 11:29 PM
mrraveltay

Joyce Johnston wrote:

Hi all

I live in Casper, WY and my family is planning a cruise to Alaska this
coming June. Just wondering if we should buy the airfare through
Princess Cruises. A friend came across a website called buying cruises
dot com or something like that and they offer airfare through the
cruise company from Casper that is just as cheap as what our local
travel agent can get us out of Denver. Should we buy the airfare
through Princess or can we do better on our own?

That depends.. You have already stated the fare was the same as your TA
could get out of Denver. You didn't mention what your TA could get you
out of Casper. Other things to consider. Can you TA get you the same
cruies/air rate as the online site?

1. Does the cruise air rate include the travel to and from the ship.
(usually, it does)

2. In the event of a flight problem, do you plan to buy travel insurance
that will get you to the ship? If you book air travel through the cruise
line, generally they assist you in the event of a flight problem.

Old January 25th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Mike Cordelli

Unless we can do better at the time of booking we usually reserve the cruise
line airfare when we book the cruise. You are not committed to that until
you make your final payment, so between the time we book and the time that
the final payment is due if we get a better deal, then we will book it
ourselves, and then cancel the air with the cruise line. Most of the time
we do much better on our own, but recently with some of the free or deeply
discounted air promotions we have stayed with the cruise line.

There are times you will save significantly over what the cruise line
charges, and there are other times that you can't. Unless you have a better
deal now, book with the cruise line and keep checking, cancel the air with
them if you need to and get it on your own.

om...

Old January 26th, 2004, 01:07 AM

From my general experience with buying flight tickets, I have always found
it cheaper to buy it online than with a local TA. The only times I bought
tickets with local TAs were when I flew out on last minute business trips
or something similar.

I am going on a Princess cruises in a few weeks and the air ticket quotes
with the cruises I got within the past few weeks (with local TAs and other
websites ) were significantly more than what I could find online. So I got
them separately, but still online.

HTH.

--Henry

Old January 26th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Jeffrey Hacker

I would check on the "add-on" offered by Princess Cruises. Unless it is
substantially more than what you can buy directly, there are a number of
advantages to buying through Princess, transfers to the ship from the
airport being just one (another is if the plane is late, at least Princess
will know where you are, so you've got less risk of missing the ship).

Jeff

Old January 26th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Thomas E. Parody

Joyce,

Besides the issue of cost, if you book the flights yourself, you will have
more control over the timing of arrivals and departures, airline(s), and
routing (i.e., number of stops). Many times these can be very important
considerations.

Old January 26th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Charles

In article zS_Qb.21342$U%5.166338@attbi_s03, Thomas E. Parody
wrote:

Besides the issue of cost, if you book the flights yourself, you will have
more control over the timing of arrivals and departures, airline(s), and
routing (i.e., number of stops). Many times these can be very important
considerations.

The cruise lines allow you to do what is called an air deviation with a
better routing for a $35 or $50 fee. On some itineraries like Alaska
this could be cheaper than doing your own airfare. I usually do my own
but in some instances the cruise line airfare is cheaper. I found
cruise line airfare to be cheaper on quotes for Alaska and I have ended
up using the cruise line air, with an air deviation fee for a non stop
flight, to be cheaper for cruises out of San Juan than air could book
on my own.

--
Charles
Old January 26th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Thomas Smith

You should price the airfare on your own and compare it to what Princess is
offering. Usually, you can do better on your own, but if you are on an
"open jaw" flight, e.g. starting in Vancouver and ending at Seward or vice
versa, you may be better off using the cruise-air package. As it is, you
will have to take a commuter flight from CPR to DEN, SLC or maybe SEA.
Being in Casper, you are only a day's drive from Vancouver as it is, so you
may want to see about just doing a one-way air as an air add-on and driving.

Tom Smith

Old January 26th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Michael Graham

Hi Neighbor

I am too planning a cruise on Princess this coming June and also from
Casper. As to the website you have mentioned I think you mean
buycruises.com. As for them they do not offer airfare out of Casper,
but rather the rate they are quoting you is from Denver. Not sure why
their website says it is from Casper, but that is not the case.

I think we have decided on flying out of Billings with Alaska and
their commuter line Horizon. The lowest prices quoted on their site
for days we will be traveling is about a $100 per person (that is a
$300 saving for us) than through Princess from Denver. I also think
that Billings is a much easier airport to travel out of then Denver.
Also out of Denver I think Alaska and horizon offer a similar fare to
Billings.

As for buycruises.com I think they were slightly less than what an
agent at Travel Management quoted me. On a similar note a friend
recommended cruise.com and it looks like they offer us a better price
than the travel agent if we on the Coral Princess, rather than Dawn
Princess. Also they have a better price than buycruises.com and are
even offering us what looks like a better room (larger).

As for the person who says Vancouver is only a day from Casper, I
think they are wrong. I would say it is more like 2 days or so from
Casper. I would not conseder the option of driving there, but that is
just me.

Hope this helps
M. Graham

Old January 26th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Don & Lynn

There are probably many good reasons to do it on your own, but we like the
convenience when they handle it. It's great to be met at a the airport in
a strange city and taken to the hotel or pier. We also had a bad experience
in Panama once when we had to leave the ship because of a medical emergency.
The cruise line, HAL, made all of the medical arrangements and travel
arrangements to get us home. It was a great comfort. Have a great cruise.