Cruises - Passports ?!?!

Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Default Cruises - Passports ?!?!

Bill wrote:

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
Geez, I forgot all about needing a copy of your marriage certificate if
you are using a birth certificate as ID. My passport better come back
before our cruise.LOL

We've never needed that, and the name on my wife's birth
certificate is not the same as her current (married) name, and
we have used that as proof of citizenship on our recent cruises.
I assume they must just accept it if the first name and date of
birth match what's on your drivers license.

The quote above is from me, not from Rosalie!!

I wouldn't take a chance nowadays. If my passport doesn't come in time,
I will be sure to have my marriage certificate along with other ID.

sue
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Bill wrote:

Jeff Gersten wrote:

(Sue and Kevin Mullen)
wrote:

They do not return the birth certificates to you.

They did when we applied for our passports in 1995.

We actually had a hassle with my wife's application. Her mother had sent
us the hospital (unofficial with no raised seal) birth certificate. She
had it seemed thrown away the real official one. My wife had to send
away for a duplicate raised seal birth certificate. Her passport
application was delayed until she had the proper documentation. The
funny thing is hers came back before mine or our son's.

I think that was all you used to get. My wife and I both had
birth certificates that looked photocopied and they had always
been accepted as originals for stuff like getting drivers
licenses. It's only relatively recently that they insist on the
raised seal.

First of all - official birth certificates DID used to be photo
copied. And all you EVER got was the unofficial one from the hospital
unless you PAY the Bureau of Vital Statistics for the official one.

For getting driver's licenses - maybe you might be able to use a
hospital certificate. But driver's licenses are only useful because
they now have photos on them, not because the DMV is particularly
vigilant about the proof that you are who you say you are.

I had a hospital certificate for my daughter who was born in 1961, and
I had to get an official one for her when she went to Australia with
my mom in 1974. I kept all that sort of thing in a safe deposit box.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mary Foster

They do not return the birth certificates to you.

They do now, and they also did when my sister got her first passport
in 1981 and when I got mine in 1965.

And they returned mine when I got my first passport in 1995.
Mary
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Mary Foster wrote:

They do not return the birth certificates to you.

They do now, and they also did when my sister got her first passport
in 1981 and when I got mine in 1965.

And they returned mine when I got my first passport in 1995.
Mary

Hi Mary, great seeing you here!!

Kevin tells me that we did get them back, so this weekend we will go
looking or them.

sue