First Time Cruisers...Need help

Old March 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

Default First Time Cruisers...Need help

On Mar 21, 12:51 pm, "Boomer" wrote:
Seems hard to believe that after eating 5-6 meals per day on the ship the
first thing some people look for is another place to eat at.

What's even harder for me to believe is that folks travel to distant
ports and completely insulate and isolate themselves from the local
culture, including cuisine. It has nothing to do with the quantity of
food available on the ship and everything to do with seeking out
authentic local food as part of the overall experience of visiting a
foreign land.

Lee

Old March 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Don & Lynn

Hi Lee,
No accounting for taste.
That's what makes the world go round.
At age 75, the ship is pretty much my destination.
I don't take helicopter excursions in Hawaii or Alaska either.
Don

ups.com...

Old March 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Mar 21, 1:52 pm, "Don & Lynn" wrote:
Hi Lee,
No accounting for taste.
That's what makes the world go round.
At age 75, the ship is pretty much my destination.
I don't take helicopter excursions in Hawaii or Alaska either.
Don

Hi Don,

I sure hope that when I reach the age of 75, I still want to
experience it all. My dad (who just turned 75) is taking a Danube
River cruise this Spring. You better believe he'll be off the boat,
tasting it all. The highlight of his trip is a meal at the restaurant
Gundel in Budapest - supposed to be one of the finest (oldest? est.
1879) restaurants in the world. Personally, I can't imagine passing up
an opportunity for a meal like that in favor of yet another shipboard
meal. Like going to NYC and eating at Applebee's. In my brain...does
not compute.

But, you're right. Different strokes for different folks.

Oh...I wouldn't take helicopter tours either, but I hardly think that
I'm passing up a local cultural experience by skipping them. As a
rule, I avoid "recreational" flying - as a means of transportation to
get me from point A to point B, an airplane serves its purpose. But,
for fun? Nah. Not for me.

Lee

Old March 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Sue and Kevin Mullen
wrote:

Brian, we went to Tulum along time ago, maybe mid 90s. I remember seeing
the beach there, but don't think there was enough time to take a swim.
Have the ships excursions changed enough, that there is now time to take
advantage of the beach?

Some of the excursions to Tulum leave time for taking a swim. They will
say take a swimsuit under their description. Most of the Tulum
excursions don't have enough time to take a swim. I would inquire at
the cruise line excursion desk before taking a swimsuit to Tulum. Some
of the cruise line excursions to Tulum include Xel-Ha afterward which
is a water park.

--
Charles
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Been to COSTA MAYA 3 times,and yes there is a very nice pool at the
pier,and no charge to use it.And they also have a free folk show which
is very good about an hour long,but well worth seeing. Hope you enjoy it
as much as we did.
Surfer e2468

cruise lover

Old March 21st, 2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

LEE:
Eating in some of the ports the ships call at,it is unwise to eat
ashore,you never know how clean the places are that prepare the food,and
unless you want to risk getting ill,eat aboard ship,it might be o.k for
the young people to take a chance,but for anyone over 55 forget it,not
worth the chance.

cruise lover

Old March 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

wrote:

Brian, we went to Tulum along time ago, maybe mid 90s. I remember seeing
the beach there, but don't think there was enough time to take a swim.
Have the ships excursions changed enough, that there is now time to take
advantage of the beach?

Some of the excursions to Tulum leave time for taking a swim. They will
say take a swimsuit under their description. Most of the Tulum
excursions don't have enough time to take a swim. I would inquire at
the cruise line excursion desk before taking a swimsuit to Tulum. Some
of the cruise line excursions to Tulum include Xel-Ha afterward which
is a water park.

I don't think we are likely to go to Tulum on a ships excursion again,
but I am glad that some include time to swim. If we do go to Tulum
again, it will be part of a land package.

When we went to Cancun for a wedding a couple of years ago, some of the
wedding guests took a trip to Zel-Ha.

sue

Old March 21st, 2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Surfer E2468 wrote:
LEE:
Eating in some of the ports the ships call at,it is unwise to eat
ashore,you never know how clean the places are that prepare the food,and
unless you want to risk getting ill,eat aboard ship,it might be o.k for
the young people to take a chance,but for anyone over 55 forget it,not
worth the chance.

Annie, as long as you eat in a place you know you will be fine. I
wouldn't go into a hole in the wall place that I don't know, but if
other have recommended it, I will give it a try.

Also age has nothing to do with getting sick from food in a port, it can
hit the young as well as the old.

sue