Cruises - Passports ?!?!

Old June 21st, 2007, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Daniel Bonham

Default Cruises - Passports ?!?!

This is because the US Government does not "officially" recognize dual
citizenship. My son is Romania and American but as far as the US is
concerned he is simply American. He is required to re-enter with a US
passport.

Regards,

Dan

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jun 20, 5:34 pm, Phil wrote:
LeeNY wrote:
On Jun 20, 12:42 pm, J wrote:
I am a newly naturalized US Citizen and applied for my US Passport
last week.

If you can wait for your cruise until your passport shows up, then do
that. It'll just be easier. In the meantime, I recommend you take a
look at past threads on this topic, right here on rec.travel.cruises.
There have been several, over the last week or two - including threads
that explain the latest requirements for cruise travel, which have
been modified recently, because of the backlog of passport
applications currently in house.

You say that you still hold a Canadian passport. Any reason you can't
travel on that? I don't know the ins and outs of dual citizenship, but
if you still have a current Canadian passport, do you really need the
U.S. one to travel out of the country?

Lee

The rule is if you are a Dual Citizen between Canada and the USA you
have to declare you US citizenship when entering the USA and your
Canadian Citizenship when entering Canada UNLESS you have given up one.

When entering the USA and being a USA citizen if you do not declare that
you are a US citizen then you are subject to a immediate $500 fine.

I have triple citizenship (don't ask) and 2 of them are Canada and the
USA. I have leaned the rules the hard way so to speak.

Canada seems to be a bit more stringent on this requirement if you are
entering Canada to live, work, study, or anything else that a non-
Canadian citizen cannot normally do. Plus, Canada doesn't seem to
have a problem with a dual Canadian travelling to Canada with a non-
Canadian passport as long as he can also present proof of his Canadian
citizenship along with it, such as a certificate of Canadian
citizenship.

The US, on the other hand, always wants a US citizen to show a US
passport, and not a foreign passport.

Old June 21st, 2007, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Phil[_1_]

Daniel Bonham wrote:
This is because the US Government does not "officially" recognize dual
citizenship. My son is Romania and American but as far as the US is
concerned he is simply American. He is required to re-enter with a US
passport.

Regards,

Dan

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jun 20, 5:34 pm, Phil wrote:
LeeNY wrote:
On Jun 20, 12:42 pm, J wrote:
[...]

There is a nice write up on this site about Dual Citizenship:
http://www.amcits.com/dual_citizenship.asp

Phil

--
Seacruise http://www.seacruisechat.com
Panama Canal Cam Schedule http://www.seacruisechat.com/panamacanal/

1) Crowded elevator smell different to midget.
2) Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected][_2_]

This is because the US Government does not "officially" recognize dual
citizenship. My son is Romania and American but as far as the US is
concerned he is simply American. He is required to re-enter with a US
passport.

They're not saying he isn't also Romanian. The US acknowledges that
some US citizens also hold other citizenships. It's simply that they
ignore his Romanian citizenship because he also holds US citizenship,
and they require him to meet the same entry requirements that all US
citizens must meet - entry with documents proving US citizenship - and
for cruisers that is going to mean a US passport when the rule is put
into place.

Old June 21st, 2007, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 20, 9:36 pm, Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
wrote:
So, for people who have not yet applied for a passport, or who have
applied for a renewal passport (where they don't have to send in proof
of citizenship), they don't have to worry.

My passport has been my proof of citizenship for the past 9ish years,
but I had to send it in to get it renewed. So people who have sent for a
renewal do have to worry about what to use!!

Why don't you use your birth certificate (if born in the US) or
certificate of naturalization (if you're a naturalized citizen)? That
is still acceptable for cruising passengers.

Old June 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:
So, for people who have not yet applied for a passport, or who have
applied for a renewal passport (where they don't have to send in proof
of citizenship), they don't have to worry.

My passport has been my proof of citizenship for the past 9ish years,
but I had to send it in to get it renewed. So people who have sent for a
renewal do have to worry about what to use!!

Why don't you use your birth certificate (if born in the US) or
certificate of naturalization (if you're a naturalized citizen)? That
is still acceptable for cruising passengers.

How could you have gotten your first passport without havng an
acceptable birth certificate?

Old June 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

" wrote:

,
My passport has been my proof of citizenship for the past 9ish years,
but I had to send it in to get it renewed. So people who have sent for a
renewal do have to worry about what to use!!

Why don't you use your birth certificate (if born in the US) or
certificate of naturalization (if you're a naturalized citizen)? That
is still acceptable for cruising passengers.

How could you have gotten your first passport without havng an
acceptable birth certificate?

HAVING a birth certificate is not the same as being able to FIND the
birth certificate. If you customarily use a passport as ID (like I do
and probably like Sue does also), you don't mess with the birth
certificate anymore. Also in the case of a married woman, the name on
your birth certificate is sometimes (often in the old days) not the
same name as would be on the travel documents so we would, in addition
to the birth certificate, need the marriage certificate.

I know for sure that I had a copy of my birth certificate at some
point, as I got my first single passport back in the early 60s (before
that my sister and I were on my mom's passport with her which is
something that probably isn't done any more). I have absolutely no
idea where that certificate is, and would have to go to Vital Records
and get another one if I really needed one.

Old June 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Rosalie B. wrote:
" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Rosalie, even if we found our original birth certificates, they would be
of no use to us since they don't have the raised seal.

Geez, I forgot all about needing a copy of your marriage certificate if
you are using a birth certificate as ID. My passport better come back
before our cruise.LOL

sue
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Jun 21, 11:42 am, Sue and Kevin Mullen
wrote:

Why don't you use your birth certificate (if born in the US) or
certificate of naturalization (if you're a naturalized citizen)? That
is still acceptable for cruising passengers.

Because when you apply for a passport you have to send them your birth
certificate with raised seal and they do not return it to you.

Do you have to send your b.c. along with the passport application if
you're renewing, or is that only for first-time applications? I
thought it was only for first time applications. And, when I applied
for my first passport (sometime in the '70s, must have been), they
most definitely returned my b.c. Still have it. The one with the
raised seal.

Lee

We both have our original birth certificates, but they do not have the
required raised seal.

sue