Cruises - Passports ?!?!

Old June 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Default Cruises - Passports ?!?!

LeeNY wrote:

Do you have to send your b.c. along with the passport application if
you're renewing, or is that only for first-time applications? I
thought it was only for first time applications. And, when I applied
for my first passport (sometime in the '70s, must have been), they
most definitely returned my b.c. Still have it. The one with the
raised seal.

You only need to send it the first time, but they do not return it to
you. Guess they have changed since the '70s.

sue
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Peri

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

(snip)

They do not return the birth certificates to you.

They do now, and they also did when my sister got her first passport
in 1981 and when I got mine in 1965.

We applied in 1997/8 and as far as I recall we did not get ours back. I
will have to look when I have time to double check.

Sue, they absolutely DO return your birth certificate to you when you
get your passport.

For a renewal, a birth certificate isn't required.

~ Peri
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 21, 7:31 am, "
wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:36 pm, Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

wrote:
So, for people who have not yet applied for a passport, or who have
applied for a renewal passport (where they don't have to send in proof
of citizenship), they don't have to worry.
My passport has been my proof of citizenship for the past 9ish years,
but I had to send it in to get it renewed. So people who have sent for a
renewal do have to worry about what to use!!
Why don't you use your birth certificate (if born in the US) or
certificate of naturalization (if you're a naturalized citizen)? That
is still acceptable for cruising passengers.
How could you have gotten your first passport without havng an
acceptable birth certificate?
They do not return the birth certificates to you.

I don't think this is true.

And different birth certificate issuing agencies do it differently -
some don't have a raised seal and some do. And sometimes the
certified valid birth certificates issued back in the old days (like
for my dad who was born in 1904) are different from the same
certificate issued now. The old certificates in Maryland used to be
reverse colors - that is the paper was black and the writing was white
instead of the other way around - and the certificate had a bottom
piece on it additional to the original part with the signature of the
person that issued it on it. That's not the way they look now.

Old June 21st, 2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Peri wrote:

Sue, they absolutely DO return your birth certificate to you when you
get your passport.

Guess this weekends job is looking to see if we can find them.

Thanks Peri and everyone else!!

sue

Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:
Geez, I forgot all about needing a copy of your marriage certificate if
you are using a birth certificate as ID. My passport better come back
before our cruise.LOL

We've never needed that, and the name on my wife's birth
certificate is not the same as her current (married) name, and
we have used that as proof of citizenship on our recent cruises.
I assume they must just accept it if the first name and date of
birth match what's on your drivers license.

Bill