Internet Cafe Survey

Old March 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
messianic light

Default Internet Cafe Survey

I have been an Internet Consultant since 1995, and in 1996 I thought
of a name for an Internet Cafe which I wrote on a piece of paper and
posted to myself, I found the letter the other week after 12 years and
I am now in the process of setting up an Internet Cafe in a cafe in my
hometown, my goal is to have one such Internet Cafe in every Capital
City in the world

I would just like to know how often you use Internet Cafes when
travelling?

and how much is charged, and whether you think that the current
charges are fair?

Thanks in advance
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

I don't use them much anymore. Since I travel with my laptop these
days and most hotels have broadband capability, when traveling on
land, I seldom need an Internet cafe. Same holds true onboard.
Although the charges in teh ships Internet cafe are expensive, it's
still easier (and fits into the dead times that occur throughout the
day at sea) I suspect that there's a small - but significant - number
of cruisers who avoid the ship's facilities because of the expense.

All in all - I suspect that the internet cafe phenomenon will become
less prevalent with time. (Also consider the larger numbers of smart
phones with email/web/IM capability)

Mark

Old March 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
messianic light

wrote:

I have been an Internet Consultant since 1995, and in 1996 I thought
of a name for an Internet Cafe which I wrote on a piece of paper and
posted to myself, I found the letter the other week after 12 years and
I am now in the process of setting up an Internet Cafe in a cafe in my
hometown, my goal is to have one such Internet Cafe in every Capital
City in the world

I would just like to know how often you use Internet Cafes when
travelling?

and how much is charged, and whether you think that the current
charges are fair?

Thanks in advance- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Mark,

your advice is heeded, but I know that at least in the UK, there are
people who do not have home Internet Access
a local radio station in my hometown had free access with 10 computers
and it was nearly always full throughout the day, a lot of Eastern
Europeans were apparent
I know this may sound a bit egotistical, but I want to provide a step
up to the first rung of the ladder for those financially
disadvantaged, as I know what it is like...

perhaps I can sign up a cruise liner to carry my Internet Cafe brand
and send my Mum on a cruise with her Grandchildren ;-)

Regards,
Damian
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

As an interersting side to Marks comments, I noticed during our recent monthlong
adventure in Europe that the expensive Hotels charged like H*** for WiFi access
but the cheap hotels were wide open and free, just log on and go.

That made it so much simpler with the laptop. Just fire it up while the LB is in
the "Facility" and take care of E-Mails and a glass or two of local wine at the
same time.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises
800-511-4417

In article ,
SF says...

Old March 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"messianic light" wrote in message
I have been an Internet Consultant since 1995, and in 1996 I thought
of a name for an Internet Cafe which I wrote on a piece of paper and
posted to myself, I found the letter the other week after 12 years and
I am now in the process of setting up an Internet Cafe in a cafe in my
hometown, my goal is to have one such Internet Cafe in every Capital
City in the world

I would just like to know how often you use Internet Cafes when
travelling?

and how much is charged, and whether you think that the current
charges are fair?

Damian,
Since I do not have a laptop, I sometimes use the computer when cruising. I
find the cost much less in port than what is charged on ships. I do have a
good friend who always looks for an Internet Cafe when she cruises to check
her e-mail, though!
I have to admit that I text message on my cell phone more often than use the
internet as it is immediate response and quite economical.
--Jean

Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

wrote:
I have been an Internet Consultant since 1995, and in 1996 I thought
of a name for an Internet Cafe which I wrote on a piece of paper and
posted to myself, I found the letter the other week after 12 years and
I am now in the process of setting up an Internet Cafe in a cafe in my
hometown, my goal is to have one such Internet Cafe in every Capital
City in the world

I would just like to know how often you use Internet Cafes when
travelling?

and how much is charged, and whether you think that the current
charges are fair?

I've been traveling with a laptop since about 1998. In the beginning,
I used a dial-up modem in hotels or at marinas most of the time. The
hotels was usually because I was on some work related trip and didn't
have time or transportation to get to an internet cafe. In marina,
ditto - no transportation.

When I retired and we went out on the boat, I used dial-up in marinas
and occasionally I would go to a library and use their computers. More
recently, I use various wi-fi connections. I HATE paying for the
wi-fi, but occasionally I have to (like in Ireland).

The only time I've actually used an internet cafe was in the Bahamas.
There, it was cheaper to use the internet cafe than it was to phone
(and consequently cheaper than using a modem). It was really quite
reasonable In Lucaya c 2002 it was $10/day or $30/wk. Or if you
weren't sending long emails, you can also log on for 4 min for $5, and
$2 for additional 5 minutes. In Nassau it was 10 cents a minute.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake messianic light :

Thank you Mark,

your advice is heeded, but I know that at least in the UK, there are
people who do not have home Internet Access

Same thing with the US. However, the UK is significantly more
"connected" than the US, and has a high proportion of broad band
users. Just check out www.theregister.co.uk for stories on the UK.

a local radio station in my hometown had free access with 10 computers
and it was nearly always full throughout the day, a lot of Eastern
Europeans were apparent
I know this may sound a bit egotistical, but I want to provide a step
up to the first rung of the ladder for those financially
disadvantaged, as I know what it is like...

The trick is two fold. First of all, you'll have to pay for all of
the facilities involved. That has to come from somewhere.

Second, you'll be "late to the game". I can go to just about any city
in Europe and find several internet cafes. All with very low prices.