New KBED-KTTN flights hit the runway

Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:37 AM
John S

Default New KBED-KTTN flights hit the runway

On Monday, Boston-Maine Airways launched service from Bedford to
Trenton, N.J., making for two commercial airlines flying out of
the Bedford airfield. For the next few weeks the airline will
offer four flights a day; starting mid-April the number increases
to seven. The current one-way fare is $99.

http://www.townonline.com/bedford/ne...nb03312004.htm

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...0.xml?times?bz

http://www.trentonian.com/site/news....= 44551&rfi=8

Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Jim Anderson

"John S" wrote in message ...
On Monday, Boston-Maine Airways launched service from Bedford to
Trenton, N.J., making for two commercial airlines flying out of
the Bedford airfield. For the next few weeks the airline will
offer four flights a day; starting mid-April the number increases
to seven. The current one-way fare is $99.

http://www.townonline.com/bedford/ne...nb03312004.htm

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...0.xml?times?bz

http://www.trentonian.com/site/news....= 44551&rfi=8

It's not going to last though. Shuttle America (flying as USExpress) is
moving to UA to pick up the J41 routes when ACA goes to IndepenceAir. SA
will shutdown the Trenton base and you're left with BM.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
Art Clemons

John S wrote:

On Monday, Boston-Maine Airways launched service from Bedford to
Trenton, N.J., making for two commercial airlines flying out of
the Bedford airfield. For the next few weeks the airline will
offer four flights a day; starting mid-April the number increases
to seven. The current one-way fare is $99.

I don't really think that anyone wanting to reach Boston is going to do
well flying to Bedford, MA. After all, even the Worcester Airport with
a larger population base couldn't do what people seem to want out of
Bedford. Further, Trenton area folk can get to Newark, NYC and Philly
by train if public transit is needed and get access to many more
flights going to many more places. Bedford and Trenton just aren't
going to be big destinations either unlike for example flights from
Bedford to Orlando.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
John S

Art Clemons wrote:

John S wrote:

On Monday, Boston-Maine Airways launched service from Bedford to
Trenton, N.J., making for two commercial airlines flying out of
the Bedford airfield. For the next few weeks the airline will
offer four flights a day; starting mid-April the number increases
to seven. The current one-way fare is $99.

I don't really think that anyone wanting to reach Boston is going to do
well flying to Bedford, MA. After all, even the Worcester Airport with
a larger population base couldn't do what people seem to want out of
Bedford. Further, Trenton area folk can get to Newark, NYC and Philly
by train if public transit is needed and get access to many more
flights going to many more places. Bedford and Trenton just aren't
going to be big destinations either unlike for example flights from
Bedford to Orlando.

As somebody who has flown that route many times since 1999, I must
disagree. First, ORH has a much smaller population base than MetroWest and
greater Boston that Hanscom is situated in. ORH is also not terribly far
from Windsor Locks,CT which has discount airline service and is popular.
Second, while EWR and PHL of course have many more flights, that is not the
market that this route is serving. This route is serving people from North
of Philadelphia and South Jersey area that want to get to Boston and visa
versa. Third, Hanscom can be a MUCH better way of reaching most of the
Boston area than General Logan Airport, except the North Shore. There are
no parking hassles. There are no tunnel hassles. There are no big dig
hassles. There are no closed lanes. There is almost never dead stopped
traffic. There is no grid lock almost all of the time, which is the
opposite situation getting from BOS to downtown. There are no $5 tolls
just to get to Weston. Now if your final destination is Boston or Chelsea,
then you may be better off with putting up with Logan's infamous delays and
detours. And parking is (for the moment) free at Hanscom. Even if they
charged you eight bucks a day, it would still be a tremendous value of
BOS. (Shh!!

Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:46 PM

In phl.transportation Art Clemons wrote:

I don't really think that anyone wanting to reach Boston is going to do
well flying to Bedford, MA. After all, even the Worcester Airport with
a larger population base couldn't do what people seem to want out of
Bedford. Further, Trenton area folk can get to Newark, NYC and Philly
by train if public transit is needed and get access to many more
flights going to many more places. Bedford and Trenton just aren't
going to be big destinations either unlike for example flights from
Bedford to Orlando.

I agree. In fact, just this past Wednesday, a couple of colleagues and I
flew up from Philly to Boston for a meeting and returned home the next
day. The cost for the tickets on American Eagle was not as low as I would
prefer, but it wasn't outrageous either; something like around $140, round
trip. We had planned to depart from Boston at around 6:00pm so we could do
a bit of sightseeing after our meeting, but the weather was lousy so we
got on standby and departed for Philly at 3:10. We were back in Philly in
an hour. I would not have wanted to add another hour onto that trip by
having to drive back home from Trenton.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:19 PM
David J. P. Long

John S wrote:

versa. Third, Hanscom can be a MUCH better way of reaching most of the
Boston area than General Logan Airport, except the North Shore. There are
no parking hassles. There are no tunnel hassles. There are no big dig
hassles. There are no closed lanes. There is almost never dead stopped
traffic. There is no grid lock almost all of the time, which is the
opposite situation getting from BOS to downtown. There are no $5 tolls
just to get to Weston. Now if your final destination is Boston or Chelsea,
then you may be better off with putting up with Logan's infamous delays and
detours. And parking is (for the moment) free at Hanscom. Even if they
charged you eight bucks a day, it would still be a tremendous value of
BOS. (Shh!!

Dpending on who they really plan on serving, the impending PHL-MHT
service from Southwest (4 r/t's daily starting in July) could impact
that - at as low as $29 each way.
+----/|-------------------------------------+-------------------+
| | | \ |
| / | \ |
http://www.wildwizards.net \ ICQ# 8976662 |
+--`--' ----------------------------------------+---------------+
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:12 PM
John S

"David J. P. Long" wrote:

John S wrote:

[...]

Good point, although this route is still a hassle free alternative. Sure PHL is
usually a piece of cake compared to BOS, but is still more of a pain for those
who can get to TTN easier (plus easy parking). MHT is a very low hassle
airport compared to most, but MHT is still a good long freeway hike from
Metrowest ....and at rush hour...forget it.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:19 PM
John S

wrote:

[...]

Airtran has been providing significantly lower prices on this route than has
been available in the past, and other airlines (AA, US) have largely been
matching the low fares. Low fare competition is really kicking the high cost
legacy carriers in the fanny, especially US Air with its high seat mile
costs.

We had planned to depart from Boston at around 6:00pm so we could do
a bit of sightseeing after our meeting, but the weather was lousy so we
got on standby and departed for Philly at 3:10. We were back in Philly in
an hour. I would not have wanted to add another hour onto that trip by
having to drive back home from Trenton.

No doubt I would prefer BOS to PHL if that was my situation too. But keep in
mind not everybody lives where you live and this route is wonderful for
MetroWest to Mercer, Burlington,Bucks,Montgomery and even Chester & Ocean
Counties.

Old April 4th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Sean

"John S" wrote in message ...
who can get to TTN easier (plus easy parking). MHT is a very low hassle
airport compared to most, but MHT is still a good long freeway hike from
Metrowest ....and at rush hour...forget it.

Funny you say that... I seem to recall the ads I've been watching (on Boston
and Philly stations) show PVD-PHL beginning before PHL-MHT - and Green isn't
all that bad of a drive to Metrowest.

Old April 4th, 2004, 02:13 AM
John S

Sean wrote:

"John S" wrote in message ...
who can get to TTN easier (plus easy parking). MHT is a very low hassle
airport compared to most, but MHT is still a good long freeway hike from
Metrowest ....and at rush hour...forget it.

Funny you say that... I seem to recall the ads I've been watching (on Boston
and Philly stations) show PVD-PHL beginning before PHL-MHT - and Green isn't
all that bad of a drive to Metrowest.

The PVD flights were originally announced with Southwest's entering the PHL
market. The MHT flights were more recently added to the schedule.

Warwick RI (where PVD is) is a little under an hour and a half drive from
Bedford. No, it's not a bad drive although can be a lot longer at rush hour.
Still can't beat the easy parking and next door service at Bedford