What Are Pax Thinking About?

Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:15:32 GMT, Karen Segboer wrote:

I agree. In this case, it's more like missing a screaming jet 2' overhead.

So, those folks are just about brain-dead, then?

Karens

Some, some uneducated, some have no ability to relate to space and time.
have no eye to behold with.

Example. I sent the joke about the dyslexic to a friend. He emailed back
"don't get it." "I know, that's why I sent it."

A double joke for CC.

Sometimes its purely cultural. Take my Dad.

Dad: What's that big bag of "hay" doing in your closet (pot).
CC Teenager: I'm thinking of taking up riding horses.
Dad: Oh.

Cultural, blew right by him, no experience, no recognition. LOL

Look, you need to find these pax/ppl, they are great fun.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:25:22 GMT, Benjamin Smith wrote:

I don't agree that people aren't particularly observant, I think it is
what they select to observe.

Trust me on this one. There are ppl out there that wander through their
entire lives seeing nothing.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Becca

Mike wrote:

This may be what is happening with the Carnival ships. The
management sees the ships as "inspired", "themed", or whatever other
trendy term that they can come up with. Whereas the public doesn't
see it.

When we cruised on the Conquest, people in the Sleazy3 group talked
about the "theme" of the ship.

Becca -----wondering who would not notice...
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:06 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:53:38 GMT, Karen Segboer wrote:

Trust me on this one. There are ppl out there that wander through their
entire lives seeing nothing.

As an example of this, and with keeping on topic for this group, think
about the people you've met up with who have gone on a cruise, but
they can't tell you the name of the ship. Or they'll say they "went
on Carnival." When you ask which ship, they'll say "Carnival." When
you repeat, "what Carnival ship?" they look at you funny. They have
no idea what you mean, or that there was a name for that particular
Carnival ship.

Amazing!

Karens

Overheard recently:

Husband: Carol, what was the name of that ship we were on?
Wife: Oh, my gosh, let me think..it was a few months ago.
3rd Person: What cruise line?
Wife: Gimme time, it *was* a few months ago.
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Benjamin Smith

Karen Segboer wrote:

Benjamin Smith wrote:

I don't agree that people aren't particularly observant, I think it is
what they select to observe. Different people can go into a room, one
can detect smells, one can detect how the light is disbursed, one can
detect the type of music playing, one can detect plants around the room,
etc.

Ben, I know that you notice things many of us overlook. What do you
observe first and foremost when you board a new ship for the first
time? What affects YOU the most?

Just wondering ...

I think I notice how passengers are greeted. I also notice room
freshners and scents of cleaners and how cluttured or uncluttered the
room seems. I also notice music or lack of it played in areas.

I'm most affected by music and volume of sound, volume of people,
frequency of encountering staff. I notice the specifics of ship's
aesthetics much later, except for Carnival, where it is screaming.

Actually for Carnival it was the way pax were greeted and degree of
clutter that I noticed moreso than other ships.

Ben

Karen

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews/pic.html ®

Old February 4th, 2005, 01:42 AM
E.k.R.

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
nk.net...
I think I notice how passengers are greeted. I also notice room
freshners and scents of cleaners and how cluttured or uncluttered the room
seems. I also notice music or lack of it played in areas.

I'm most affected by music and volume of sound, volume of people,
frequency of encountering staff. I notice the specifics of ship's
aesthetics much later, except for Carnival, where it is screaming.

On MSC OPERA we were greeted with white gloved stewards and stewardess (ours
was an older Italian lady) and escorted to our cabin. Nice touch!

Regarding music ... plenty of live music at night in the lounges. No canned
music in any of the lounges or corridors. Some canned music by the pool
(not loudly played) when nothing else was going on.

As I said before, very civilized.

Ernie

ps - it was also the easiest embarkation I have EVER gone through (including
Silversea). We were literally checked in and onboard the ship in a record
8-10 minutes from dropping off our luggage. Tons of people to check you in
and absolutely zero lines. This was around 1pm, peak check-in time. Here's
the strange thing. MSC sends you no forms before the cruise and there is no
where to fill out forms online. I figured everything would have to be
filled out at the pier creating long waits. Get this ... no forms had to be
filled out at the pier. In fact we filled out no forms the entire cruise!
Our passport was scanned at check-in but that was it. I don't know how MSC
gets away with it when every other cruise line makes a very big deal about
all these forms that MUST be filled out.

Old February 4th, 2005, 05:30 AM

George in NY wrote:

I have to agree with Karen and it would seem obvious if a designer was
attempting to convey a theme and the passengers aren't getting it then the
design is flawed. Who is farcus communicating with if not the passengers?

George in NY

If people aren't getting that "connection," then Joe Farcus isn't
doing his job.

-----

George,

Though Farcus may be a bit vague, or even non-communicative, I think
that the average Joe and Jane these days go for the more obvious stuff,
such as laugh tracks on comedy TV series so they'll know when to laugh.
So, it wouldn't matter if Farcus was a magna cum laude graduate of Dale
Carnegie: these people would NEVER get it.

It goes without saying that I am NOT speaking of the astute participants
in this NG. :-)

Stranger

Karen

And, Karen, most people aren't particularly observant, nor are they into
aesthetics. It isn't that Farcus isn't communicating, the pax just
aren't "getting it".

Stranger

Old February 4th, 2005, 05:33 AM

Karen Segboer wrote:

wrote:

Karen Segboer wrote:

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:

Have you ever wondered why Carnival ships look the way
they do? Most passengers see the public rooms as
colorful, or gaudy or busy, but they never really
discover there is a connection between them. For an
article last week Cruise News Daily we talked with
Carnival's interior architect, Joe Farcus, about his
philosophy for Carnival ships, which he calls
"entertainment architecture." Most passengers never
realize there is a theme to each Carnival ship!

Each public room has a connection to that theme, some more
tenuous that others, and much of the fun of exploring
Farcus' design (they are the FunShips, you know) is
discovering that connection. Then within the decor of
each room, many of the elements relate to that room's
subject and its relation to the overall theme.

If people aren't getting that "connection," then Joe Farcus isn't
doing his job.

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews ®
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Chrissy, you are right. On my Conquest cruise, I noticed the French
theme througout, from the names of the various venues, to the decor. In
particular, we were in the Renoir dining room, the the backs/seperators
between each booth had little Eifel Towers on them.

And, Karen, most people aren't particularly observant, nor are they into
aesthetics. It isn't that Farcus isn't communicating, the pax just
aren't "getting it".

Stranger

But that was exactly my point. He's NOT doing his job if the design
ideas aren't coming across. THAT's his job.

Karen,
again

And, my point is that it wouldn't matter how effective Farcus is. Some
people would NEVER see it.

Stranger