Do Airlines Let You Book Two Seats for One Person?

Old September 24th, 2005, 01:12 AM

Odysseus wrote:
I will need to fly to Buenos Aires, Argentina for my next
cruise.

Like most people, I hate the narrow seats on airplanes. It's
especially bad if you find yourself sitting next to an obese
person. I looked into going business class but the cost is
several times that of economy class. I thought a good way
around this situation is to book two seats for myself to
ensure that the one next to me will be vacant.

What are the chances that an airline will allow me to book
two seats for myself? I don't know what airline Orient Lines
will use. I am traveling solo and I am a small person. I am
just claustrophobic. If the plane is overbooked or crowded,
will the extra seat be taken away from me? If so, will I get
a refund? Could the flight attendant move somebody into my
extra seat during the flight? If this happens, will I get a
refund?

I don't mind paying more for two seats to ensure that I get
extra room. But, I want a guarantee from the airline that I
will be able to have the extra seat even if the flight is
overbooked and that I will be allowed to keep that seat for
the entire flight. If the seat is taken away from me for
any portion of the flight, I want a full refund. Fat chance
of any airline agreeing to that. I'm probably throwing my
money away trying to book two seats for myself.

Er, uh, maybe you could tell them you weigh 320 lbs.!

--
Why is it the sensors seeking intelligent life are pointed away from earth?
Old September 24th, 2005, 01:16 AM
George Leppla

"Tom K" wrote

And what if the plane was overbooked - which frequently happens? Let's
say there are 10 people with tickets but without seat assignments... and
there are 4 empty seats on the plane including "your extra".

What are the chances that they let you keep your empty seat, while they
tell 7 people that they've all gotta stay behind?

You paid for the seat and have a legal right to keep possession. They may
ask you to volunteer to give it up and at that point, offer you cash or
other in-kind inducements but you do not have to surrender it and I know of
no instance where someone was forced to give up a paid extra seat.

FWIW, I advise a large group of people seeking weight loss surgery and many
times they buy two seats. In the past 4 years, I have never heard of anyone
being denied their extra seat or even be asked to voluntarily give it up.
The flight I took to Brazil in 2002 was oversold and I was not asked to give
up the extra seat I had bought.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/
May 20, 2006, Caribbean Princess - http://cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm

Old September 24th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Tom K

"George Leppla" wrote in message

[...]

Needing 2 seats because of size, or because of a musical instrument, etc.,
is one thing. The seat isn't actually empty. It's being used.

But the OP said they were a small person, and the seat would remain empty.
If the plane wasn't sold out, I can see how you could expect the seat to be
kept empty. But if it was overbooked... how could they deny someone the
seat rather than be left behind? I see the problem occurring in that kind
of situation. Would they then refund the price? I view that kind of like
trying to get money back from an insurance company or the IRS....

--Tom

Old September 24th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Surfer E2468

DANIAL,what airline do you fly that still serves meals?

Old September 24th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Odysseus

But the OP said they were a small person, and the seat would remain empty.
If the plane wasn't sold out, I can see how you could expect the seat to be
kept empty. But if it was overbooked... how could they deny someone the
seat rather than be left behind? I see the problem occurring in that kind
of situation. Would they then refund the price? I view that kind of like
trying to get money back from an insurance company or the IRS....

Getting a refund could be difficult. I will be buying my airfare through
Orient Lines. If the airline refunds the money, they will give it to the
cruise line not me. Another complication is that I will be traveling
internationally and dealing with the laws of two countries.

I can see another potential problem. The plane is completely booked but
I get to keep my empty seat. During the flight another passenger's seat
breaks or becomes unusable. The flight attendant moves him to my empty
seat. I think I will have a hard time getting a refund in that
situation.

If the airline overbooks the flight, it is not my problem. I paid for
that extra seat and feel entitled to keep it. The overbooking is a
problem between the airline and the passenger who is denied boarding.
IMHO, I am entitled to book as many seats for myself as I want. If I
want to buy four seats and lay across them, I should be able to do so.
If I want to buy 50 seats to ensure that there are no crying babies near
me, I should be able to do so. I realize airlines don't see it that way.
They think that they are entitled to do whatever they want and treat
passengers anyway they want. If a passenger objects, he will be deemed
belligerent and arrested.

Old September 24th, 2005, 04:08 AM

Most International flights still serve meals; especially on flights
over five hours.

Cheers,
DaniEl

Do Airlines Let You Book Two Seats for One Person?

Group: rec.travel.cruises Date: Fri, Sep 23, 2005, 10:27pm (PDT+3) From:
(Surfer=A0E2468)
DANIAL,what airline do you fly that still serves meals?

Old September 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM
George Leppla

"Tom K" wrote

But the OP said they were a small person, and the seat would remain empty.
If the plane wasn't sold out, I can see how you could expect the seat to
be kept empty. But if it was overbooked... how could they deny someone
the seat rather than be left behind? I see the problem occurring in that
kind of situation. Would they then refund the price?

Excuse me. Here I thought my numerous real-life personal experiences and
the experiences of a few hundreds of other people I know would be enough to
show that this doesn't usually happen.... but why listen to factual
information when we can rely on Tom's hypothetical suppositions?

As long as we have Tom's conjecture, we have no need for facts and I
apologize for taking up the newsgroup's time.

Old September 24th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Tom K

"George Leppla" wrote in message

"Tom K" wrote

But the OP said they were a small person, and the seat would remain
empty. If the plane wasn't sold out, I can see how you could expect the
seat to be kept empty. But if it was overbooked... how could they deny
someone the seat rather than be left behind? I see the problem occurring
in that kind of situation. Would they then refund the price?

Excuse me. Here I thought my numerous real-life personal experiences and
the experiences of a few hundreds of other people I know would be enough
to show that this doesn't usually happen.... but why listen to factual
information when we can rely on Tom's hypothetical suppositions?

As long as we have Tom's conjecture, we have no need for facts and I
apologize for taking up the newsgroup's time.

Sorry for trying to hold a conversation with you. I didn't know that wasn't
permitted.

I'll know better next time... so there will be no need to ridicule me...

--Tom

Old September 24th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"George Leppla" wrote in message
Excuse me. Here I thought my numerous real-life personal experiences and
the experiences of a few hundreds of other people I know would be enough
to show that this doesn't usually happen.... but why listen to factual
information when we can rely on Tom's hypothetical suppositions?

As long as we have Tom's conjecture, we have no need for facts and I
apologize for taking up the newsgroup's time.

Whoa! Before we let tempers flare..:-) I know that you personally have had
multi experiences with two seats being reserved for people who have a weight
problem, George...I myself, would really appreciate it, if I were in a 3
seat configuration seating with a person who was very large and they
purchased two seats..It would definitely be more comfortable for me..But
just as a hypothetical question, as Tom posted, and if I understood him
correctly, ..If a thin person purchased two seats and the airline were
overbooked...would that thin person be asked or pressured to give up that
second seat..and if they were, would they be compensated if they agreed to
do that? I'm curious...

--Jean