Help to access rec.travel.cruises

Old January 26th, 2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Help to access rec.travel.cruises

I am changing from Web TV to a computer and I do not know how to access
this news group from my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy

Old January 26th, 2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

What Internet Provider (IP) will you be getting?

If it's cable, they'll most likely set up Outlook Express for e-mail. You
can read and reply to newsgroups with Outlook Express... though first you
need to subscribe to newsgroups. Call the IP help desk for assistance in
obtaining access to newsgroups.

Options to Outlook Express include Netscape, and Thunderbird. They can also
access newsgroups.

The IP will need to tell you the name of their newsgroup server, and you'll
have to load the name of the server into the program.

--Tom

Old January 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

First make sure your ISP offers newsgroups.

If not then you will have to sign up at a newsgroups server for a fee.

If your ISP offers newsgroups then they will help you set up a news
reader (Outlook, Forte, etc) so you can get and read the newsgroups.
They will also have a homepage with directions on how to set up a news
reader.

Old January 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

George & Nancy wrote:
I am changing from Web TV to a computer and I do not know how to access
this news group from my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy

If your provider doesn't offer USENET or you find it too much of a
problem to set up access thusing Outlook or the like... You can access
google groups through www.deja.com and set up an account easily ...
They also offer emails to alert you to posts in your newsgroups ...

Old January 26th, 2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"George & Nancy" wrote in message

I am changing from Web TV to a computer and I do not know how to access
this news group from my computer. Any help would be appreciated.
Nancy

Nancy,
If you have Outlook Express, at the very top right, next to the Microsoft
flag is a symbol..Click on that symbol and *newsgroups* will come down.
click on *newsgroups* and select the ones to which the ones that you wish to
subscribe.

--Jean

Old January 27th, 2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"George & Nancy" wrote in message

I am changing from Web TV to a computer and I do not know how to access
this news group from my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy

Until you get it all together, just use Google Groups and you'll be back in
business in no time.
Setting up Usenet newsgroups with Outlook Express (don't know why Microsoft
doesn't incorporate Usenet into Outlook), Netscape, Firebird, Thunderbird,
or any other program can be difficult. The first thing you will need to do
is find out the address of your ISP's news server and go from there. The
documentation provided to you should instruct you how to pick up Usenet
newsgroups anyway.

Right now I'm waiting for SBC DSL which is partnered with Yahoo to switch
totally to ATT. It will mean new addresses and setups too. But, I have my
own domain name for email and it works great.

Old January 27th, 2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Nancy) wrote:

I am changing from Web TV to a computer and I do not know how to access
this news group from my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy

Newsgroups ARE free if you want to use Google. And Google is the ONLY
Usenet provider that has every posting ever made to any newsgroup. They
took over from Dejanews.com a few years ago. They archive all postings.
Just because your posting is no longer available on your ISP's server
doesn't mean it's not someplace else. It is. It's on Google. Trust me.

Old January 27th, 2006, 05:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Nancy) wrote:

I am changing from Web TV to a computer and I do not know how to access
this news group from my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy

Newsgroups ARE free if you want to use Google. And Google is the ONLY
Usenet provider that has every posting ever made to any newsgroup. They
took over from Dejanews.com a few years ago. They archive all postings.
Just because your posting is no longer available on your ISP's server
doesn't mean it's not someplace else. It is. It's on Google. Trust me.

Google is great for looking for things, but it is a horrible way to
access newsgroups. I can see Nancy using it untill she figures out how
to set get set up, but not permanently.

Nancy, your best bet is once you have your computer set up, call your
ISP and they should be able to help you set up newsgroups.

sue
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Poncho Liner wrote:
Newsgroups ARE free if you want to use Google. And Google is the ONLY
Usenet provider that has every posting ever made to any newsgroup. They
took over from Dejanews.com a few years ago. They archive all postings.
Just because your posting is no longer available on your ISP's server
doesn't mean it's not someplace else. It is. It's on Google. Trust me.

with the proviso ... sans binaries ... but one can get their porn or
music bootlegs easily elsewhere ...

Old January 27th, 2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Nancy) wrote:

[...]

For what it's worth, that's what I was aiming at. It's a good way to catch
up while you are waiting to get your own ISP on the ball. It's also nice to
use when your own ISP goes down. I use a separate Usenet service -
Altopia.com for Usenet access. I don't have to depend on my ISP for
anything but web access now.