Help to access rec.travel.cruises

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Help to access rec.travel.cruises

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'l give it a shot - like this
newsgroup and don't want to lose it.

Nancy

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Poncho Liner" wrote in message
t...

Newsgroups ARE free if you want to use Google. And Google is the ONLY
Usenet provider that has every posting ever made to any newsgroup. They
took over from Dejanews.com a few years ago. They archive all postings.
Just because your posting is no longer available on your ISP's server
doesn't mean it's not someplace else. It is. It's on Google. Trust me.

Even Google honors requests by the author of a post that the message not be
archived. Google also does not have a spell check.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

But the Google toolbar can spell check anything that's filed in on line.

Marsha

Old January 28th, 2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Dick G." dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom :

"Poncho Liner" wrote in message
t...

Newsgroups ARE free if you want to use Google. And Google is the ONLY
Usenet provider that has every posting ever made to any newsgroup. They
took over from Dejanews.com a few years ago. They archive all postings.
Just because your posting is no longer available on your ISP's server
doesn't mean it's not someplace else. It is. It's on Google. Trust me.

Even Google honors requests by the author of a post that the message not be

archived. Google also does not have a spell check.

It is my understanding that is not what happens. Google keeps copies of all
messages that they recieve. If the No-Archive option is set the message will
not show up in a google search but it is still recorded in thier database.

The reasoning ofcourse is for legal reasons. If a search warrent was given
for a set of messages Google does not want to be implied as destroying
evidence. I read this a couple of years ago, Googole procedures may be
diffirent today.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
Cruising, building a Catamaran, Rebuilding Cabin, New Peroxide Still Design,
Writting SF, Programming FOSS - What happened to the time?
Old January 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Dick G. wrote:
Even Google honors requests by the author of a post that the message not be
archived. Google also does not have a spell check.

Does that mean that someone typing disembarkment won't get it fixed to
dismemberment ???

Old January 29th, 2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
Poncho Liner wrote:
"Duck" wrote in message

First make sure your ISP offers newsgroups.

If not then you will have to sign up at a newsgroups server for a fee.

If your ISP offers newsgroups then they will help you set up a news
reader (Outlook, Forte, etc) so you can get and read the newsgroups.
They will also have a homepage with directions on how to set up a news
reader.

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:08:57 -0500, (George &
Nancy) wrote:

I am changing from Web TV to a computer and I do not know how to access
this news group from my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Newsgroups ARE free if you want to use Google. And Google is the ONLY
Usenet provider that has every posting ever made to any newsgroup. They
took over from Dejanews.com a few years ago. They archive all postings.
Just because your posting is no longer available on your ISP's server
doesn't mean it's not someplace else. It is. It's on Google. Trust me.

Google is great for looking for things, but it is a horrible way to
access newsgroups. I can see Nancy using it untill she figures out how
to set get set up, but not permanently.

I use Google to get a couple of newsgroups when I'm where I can't use
my ISP to get email or newsgroups. You can get the posts as
individual emails or digests. It isn't too bad if you are following
only one group.

Nancy, your best bet is once you have your computer set up, call your
ISP and they should be able to help you set up newsgroups.

sue

grandma Rosalie
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Rosalie B. wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Nancy) wrote:

I am changing from Web TV to a computer and I do not know how to access
this news group from my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Newsgroups ARE free if you want to use Google. And Google is the ONLY
Usenet provider that has every posting ever made to any newsgroup. They
took over from Dejanews.com a few years ago. They archive all postings.
Just because your posting is no longer available on your ISP's server
doesn't mean it's not someplace else. It is. It's on Google. Trust me.

Google is great for looking for things, but it is a horrible way to
access newsgroups. I can see Nancy using it untill she figures out how
to set get set up, but not permanently.

I use Google to get a couple of newsgroups when I'm where I can't use
my ISP to get email or newsgroups.

I have done the same thing when I was away from home, but I would not
use it on a regular basis.

You can get the posts as
individual emails or digests. It isn't too bad if you are following
only one group.

Are you sure you aren't confusing google and yahoo groups here? Yahoo
groups do give you the choice of emails or digest, but you can't
access newsgroups from yahoo. As far as I know, I don't think you can
access google, other then on the website.

sue
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
Poncho Liner wrote:
m...

Nancy) wrote:

[...]

Actually I was wrong about that - it is either a digest with all the
text or an abridged digest with just the summary, or you can go and
read it on the internet.

Are you sure you aren't confusing google and yahoo groups here? Yahoo
groups do give you the choice of emails or digest, but you can't
access newsgroups from yahoo. As far as I know, I don't think you can
access google, other then on the website.

Well if it is yahoo, they are calling themselves google. I did the
digest thing while I was in Santo Domingo a couple of weeks ago with
three groups. One of them was this one, but I've deleted all those
emails. The only ones I have left are like this one

To: "rec.boats.cruising digest subscribers"

Subject: 8 new messages in 4 topics - digest
From: "rec.boats.cruising group"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:48:50 +0000

rec.boats.cruising
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.boats.cruising

The link for this group (rec.travel.cruises) is
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...cruises?lnk=li

grandma Rosalie
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
Poncho Liner wrote:

Newsgroups ARE free if you want to use Google. And Google is the ONLY
Usenet provider that has every posting ever made to any newsgroup. They
took over from Dejanews.com a few years ago. They archive all postings.
Just because your posting is no longer available on your ISP's server
doesn't mean it's not someplace else. It is. It's on Google. Trust me.

True, with some exceptions. For example, posters can ask specific
posts
of theirs to be removed from the Google archives; and some google-
archived bit.listserv.lists are known to have lost YEARS of archives
because the list manager screwed up (e.g., bit.listserv.scuba-L is
missing several years of posts in the late 80s and early 90s). Other
than that, groups.google keeps a pretty good record of posts since
1981.

Google is great for looking for things, but it is a horrible way to
access newsgroups.

That statement only shows your unfamiliarity with using groups.google
to read newsgroups. It's by far the BEST way to read and post in
many different newsgroups (as I do).

Did you know that you can also find out about the most prolific poster
(and spammers) in any newsgroup via google?

Three posters in rec.travel.cruises had more posts in January 2006 than
the spammer Ray who had only 111 posts. Charles (128), Tom K (119),
and Dillon (116).

Dickhead Goldhaber barely made the top 10 list for January with his
80 pieces of scum of vacuous content about cruising.

Of course spammer Ray beats the next two top posters combined in
the all time category -- 17571 SPAMS!

Google is peerless in NEWSGROUP reading, among other things.

Anyone who says otherwise is simply uninformed or under-informed
about groups.google.

-- Bob.