How to cut Norwegian travel costs?

Old October 18th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Marc Raizman

Default How to cut Norwegian travel costs?

I'm thinking of a trip to Norway next summer and have been looking at the
various web pages with information about the country. I have been told that
everything is "more expensive" in Norway. I recall seeing a recent story in
the newspapers that for business people Oslo is now the most costly town to
live in in the world. I have looked briefly on the Internet at the cost of
hotels in Oslo and even hotels that are described as budget hotels cost
nearly $100 a night for a single; $178 for a couple. I read somewhere that
if you bring your own linen and pillow case you can often stay in less
costly facilities. Are those to be found only on the countryside or do they
exist in the larger cities too? Is it possible through the local tourist
offices to arrange to stay in private homes at more reasonable costs? I'd be
grateful for suggestions on how to bring these costs to more manageable
levels. Thanks. MR

---

Old October 18th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Andy Pandy

"Marc Raizman" wrote in message
[...]

Have you looked at hostels? They aren't usually the old dormitory types anymore,
you can usually get a private room, en-suite if you want. We were in Denmark in
the summer and I can recommend them, they are better than hotels in many ways,
such as you have kitchen facilities, fridge, a lounge area where you can drink
your own drinks and have a chat with fellow travellers etc. Usually you need
your own sheets & pillow case or sheet sleeping bag, or they'll charge for hire,
and they expect you to leave the room clean.

--
Andy

Old October 18th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Des O'Donoghue

Marc Raizman wrote:
[...]

There is a chain called Rainbow Hotels. Primarily aimed at business but
cheaper at weekends. We stayed in the Rainbow Astoria in Stockholm in 1994
and it was consderably cheaper than the others (and had all-day free
waffles, and laid out breakfast for us at 5am).. might be worth a google..

Old October 18th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Traveler

For Oslo, consider the Anker Hostel
www.albertine.no

The room we had was not really like a standard hostel. It was a private room
with two twin beds, a pretty good bathroom, a refrigerator, and a stove. It
was bright and fairly spacious for Europe. The location is convenient. There
was no phone or TV, but we did not need either one. The price will be less
than half of the budget hotel costs you quote.

Traveler

Old October 19th, 2003, 12:27 AM
?ystein

"Marc Raizman" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of a trip to Norway next summer and have been looking at the
various web pages with information about the country. I have been told that
everything is "more expensive" in Norway. I recall seeing a recent story in
the newspapers that for business people Oslo is now the most costly town to
live in in the world. I have looked briefly on the Internet at the cost of
hotels in Oslo and even hotels that are described as budget hotels cost
nearly $100 a night for a single; $178 for a couple.

Here you can get a single for $50 and a doble for $65:
http://www.virtualoslo.com/cochs_pensjonat/ 'Cochs Pension' is
situated downtown Oslo. On the same site fou can find alternative
accomondation and other toursit related resources.

You can also have a look at
http://www.visitoslo.com/Link_to_Osl...ine_booking/e/

Bogstad Camping and Ekeberg Camping is the most central campings if
tent, caravan or cabin is an alternative.

Best regards,

Jan
Old October 19th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Philippe Noth

Hi Marc,

I've only a limited experience of Norway: we "fled" the heatwave last
summer and spent 7 days in Southern Norway, between Oslo and Bergen.
Anyway, here is what we found out:

I read somewhere that if you bring your own linen and pillow case you
can often stay in less costly facilities.

We found the cabins ("hytten") to be a good balance between cost and
comfort. Before we left, we had prepared a list of cabins, B&Bs and
campings using the websites http://www.visitnorway.com,
http://www.bbnorway.com/ and http://engelsk.nafcamp.com/. The cabins are
often located in a camping ground, they cost on average 300 Kr. Some are
more luxurious than others, but we always had light, a heater, a small
fridge and several bunk beds. You only need your own blankets or
sleeping bag. We tried free camping only once since it rained a lot
during that week, but it is pretty easy, especially in the North, which
is less densely populated.

Sometimes you will come across a hotel or a bed & breakfast offering
good value. We liked the old hotel in the mountains near Bygdi
(Jötunheimen park, around 700 Kr the double room) and the Skansen
Pensjonat in Bergen (550 Kr).

--
Philippe Noth, Clarens/Montreux, Switzerland

Old October 20th, 2003, 06:06 PM
voyager

I saved quite a bit last year throughout Scandinavia by using a "SKAN+" card
(www.skanplus.com). I believe the card was about 10 Euros and with the card
chain hotels like Rainbow and Swedenhotels were about 1/2 the rack rate.
The Rainbow Astoria in Oslo and the Rainbow Orion in Bergen were each about
US$100/night for a double with breakfast which I felt was reasonable for a
well located 3 star hotel. You also get some discounts on meals etc. and
every 6th night is free with the card. You can buy the card via the
internet or at any of the affiliated hotels. Throughout Scandinavia you'll
also find weekend bargains on many of the "premium" business hotels

--
Voyager
(Remove the mystery meat to reply!)

Old October 21st, 2003, 02:47 AM
Freda

I would agree with the SKAN + card.
I saved more than the cost of the card at the first Raibow hotel I stayed
at.
Freda
--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake