How to tell if metal sets off alarm?

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Brett

Default How to tell if metal sets off alarm?

I have a certain pair of shoes that I take off before going through
security. The shoe lace holes are metal (I think. I'm always asked to take
them off). How can I tell if these shoes will set off any alarms without
having to go through the detector?

Thanks,
Brett

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:12 AM
mrtravel

Brett wrote:

I have a certain pair of shoes that I take off before going through
security. The shoe lace holes are metal (I think. I'm always asked to take
them off). How can I tell if these shoes will set off any alarms without
having to go through the detector?

Have a boy scout build you a shoe metal detector.
Seriously, the only way to know is to go through the SAME detector that
is being used to determine if they pass or fail. Detection varies by
airport, as I found out in Dallas last week. My belt does not set off a
detector at any other domestic airport.

Old September 15th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Citronella

The most effective thing would be to take them off while standing in
front of the detector and then throw them through one at a time. Try
to aim at one of the security people.

If they don't set the detector off, ask them (be polite, or a little
bribe might not be a bad idea...) to throw them back through the
detector to you, then put them on and proceed through.

They like things like that, it breaks the boredom and you'll be
surprised at how supportive and friendly they will be to you.

C.

Old September 15th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Brett

Will this involve any type of body cavity searching in some small dark room
of the airport's most unknown corner?

Brett

Old September 15th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

I have a certain pair of shoes that I take off before going through
security. The shoe lace holes are metal (I think. I'm always asked to take
them off). How can I tell if these shoes will set off any alarms without
having to go through the detector?

Here at MSN they have a device you put your foot on before you approach the
x-ray that tells you whether or not your feet will set off the detector.
The trouble is--I can't imagine it is that perfectly calibrated. My
Rockports have a metal support spine--so I just take them off and put them
through the x-ray. If I were you, I would do the same. Just take off the
shoes, put them in one of the gray plastic boats through the x-ray, and then
put them back on when they come through.

P.S. The most horrendous screening experience I ever had was wearing a Levi
shirt with metal buttons. I also had those tiny little studs on my jeans
that set off the wand. The screener went ape.

Old September 16th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Matthew Mayer

Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:
[...]

He WAS an Ape or he got mad? Or Both...

Sorry, couldn't resist...

---M
Chicago

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

He WAS an Ape or he got mad? Or Both...

A little of each really. He blew a gasket. I took 35 cents out of my one
pocket and an old ticket jacked out of another and he brought over a
supervisor and started screaming about my wand-unfriendly shirt and my
"failure to divest" the quarter and the dime and the old ticket jacket (even
though I had on my own reached in and dug out this terrible contraban from
my pockets). They both took me back to a little closet where I was happy to
take off the metal buttonned shirt. The supervisor seemed to fully aware
that he had a raging simian in his employ. This was in MKE maybe a year
ago.