737-900 Seat Selection

Old September 15th, 2003, 02:31 AM
Travel Picks, On Line

Default 737-900 Seat Selection

*
We're flying on Alaska Air from Seattle to Orlando on a Boeing 737-900.

Can anyone advise best location (other than 1st class) for least amount
of noise?

Thanks,
Todd.

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:05 AM
mrtravel

Travel Picks, On Line wrote:
*
We're flying on Alaska Air from Seattle to Orlando on a Boeing 737-900.

Can anyone advise best location (other than 1st class) for least amount
of noise?

Away from the engines.
The further away from the engines, the better.

Who else flies the 737-900?

Old September 15th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Blake S

"mrtravel" wrote in message
.com...
Travel Picks, On Line wrote:

We're flying on Alaska Air from Seattle to Orlando on a Boeing 737-900.

Can anyone advise best location (other than 1st class) for least amount
of noise?

Away from the engines.
The further away from the engines, the better.

Yeah, except in front of the engines is quieter than in back of the engines.

Who else flies the 737-900?

KLM, Korean, and Continental also have the -900, though Continental has
deferred some of their deliveries.

Old September 15th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Blake S

"Travel Picks, On Line" wrote in message

We're flying on Alaska Air from Seattle to Orlando on a Boeing 737-900.

Can anyone advise best location (other than 1st class) for least amount
of noise?

Thanks,
Todd.

Try to get a seat in front of the emergency exits on the wings. Do not get
the first emergency exit row or the row directly in front of the first
emegency exit row. These seats don't recline!!!

The best economy seats are in between the bulkhead and before the last row
in front of the first emergency exit row. However, I think they usually
reserve most of those seats for frequent flyers (I usually get seated
towards the front since I fly Alaska a lot).

The 737-900 isn't as loud as most other similar-sized jets, but it's
quieter if you seat in front of the jets rather than behind the jets. I
really like this plane as it is new, quiet, and clean. I've heard something
about proprietary personal DVD players that Alaska is either renting for
free or some nominal fee. There's 10 or so movies on a the hard drive (no
discs). Might be good on a long trip like this.

Old September 15th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Travel Picks, On Line

Thanks everyone for the input.* Seat map is showing rows 15/16 as exit rows.*
Row in front, 14, is 'grayed' out.* I moved us to row 12.* For some reason, the
agent had put us in row 24 but personally, I like to be closer to the front.

Blake, do you know where there is more info avail on the DVD players?

Thanks,
Todd.
*
*

Old September 15th, 2003, 02:31 PM
DALing

avoid further aft than three rows behind the wing trailing edge (and even
there it's getting loud - or bring ear plugs - funny thing is that they pass
out ear plugs on MD-80 flights for the folks in the last 3 or 4 rows)

Old September 15th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Paul Middlestat

We're flying on Alaska Air from Seattle to Orlando on a Boeing 737-900.

Can anyone advise best location (other than 1st class) for least amount
of noise?

I have done several recent flights on Alaksa and was pleased with the
flights. FAs were making the effort and the pilot kept us particularly
well informed. If my memory serves me, Row 7 is directly behind 1st class,
and is not a bad location. Row 16 is an exit row and has more leg room.

And the usual adage of 'closer to the front of the plane' is not incorrect.

BTW: I always take ear plugs, regardless of seat location or flight class.
And when I need them, I use them.
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Blake S

Here you go. It looks like the DVD service starts next month.

http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/200...E_announce.asp

Old September 15th, 2003, 11:05 PM
mrtravel

Blake S wrote:
Here you go. It looks like the DVD service starts next month.

http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/200...E_announce.asp

Wow... it was created by a ramp agent.........