ID at check-in

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

Default ID at check-in

On 10/3/08 2:04 AM, in article , "topof"
wrote:

"Marsha" wrote in message ...
Patrick Hernan wrote:
I stayed at a major hotel in Las Vegas recently. At check-in they wanted
a credit card and picture ID. I gave them a credit card and my driver's
license as an ID. Before I knew it she entered my driver's license number
into the hotel computer. This has never happened to me before. When I
objected she said "everybody does it now" but that is certainly not my
experience. This really seems like an invasion of privacy in the time of
identity theft. I can only imagine how many employees have access to that
computer. Even when I travel abroad hotel clerks usually don't take down
my passport number. As an American traveling in America this seems
outrageous. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've stayed in probably 12 different hotels in the last year, some as
recently as two weeks ago, and not a single one of them asked for picture
ID. I would have refused to give it to them anyway. If they insisted, I
would have held onto it while they looked at it, but never would have
given it to them.

Marsha/Ohio

And if your credit card was stolen and used youd be the first one to
complain that no one asked for ID when the purchases were made!!

If you had reported it to the card holder, it wouldn't cause you any
trouble. It would be a problem for the the seller though.

--
Martha Canada

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 10/3/08 2:07 AM, in article , "topof"
wrote:

"MI" wrote in message

On 10/2/08 9:06 PM, in article
, "AZ Nomad"
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:50:58 -0400, pltrgyst
wrote:

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or
ask
for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that
includes
United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

That is true, but they just look at it. They don't record it nor should
they. A passport is used to identify someone. Not even immigration
officers
record it when you enter a country. They look at it and stamp it. Period.
--
Martha Canada

I think you'll find they DO record your passport details when you enter
another country! its swiped through their machine and records your entry!
Bieng a regular traveller around the world from the UK, the last time i went
to the US immigration told me exactly how many times id been to the USA in
the lastt 12 months when i was routinely questioned!

Never happened to me. It's only been swiped once in the last 4 years. Even
when I entered the States from Australia, they just looked at it and stamped
it. As I only live 40 km. from the US border, I cross it often.

--
Martha Canada

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Patrick*Hernan asked:

As an American traveling in America this seems outrageous. Has anyone

else had a similar experience?

A hotel in Miami Beach once required that I fax them a copy of my
driver's license, when I telephoned to make a reservation. I stayed
elsewhere.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Nile wrote on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:42:42 -0500:

As an American traveling in America this seems outrageous.
Has anyone

else had a similar experience?

A hotel in Miami Beach once required that I fax them a copy of my
driver's license, when I telephoned to make a reservation. I stayed
elsewhere.

Seems a bit unusual but many places will want to you to give a credit
card number to guarantee the reservation.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old October 4th, 2008, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"James Silverton" wrote in message

Seems a bit unusual but many places will want to you to give a credit card
number to guarantee the reservation.

That's standard at any major hotel in the US.

Old October 4th, 2008, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:50:58 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:
I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

No ID is required before issueing a boarding pass. I always print it at
home within 24 hours of my flight. Now if you're talking about getting
through security without ID and a boarding pass, that's another thing.

Marsha/Ohio

Old October 4th, 2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:32:22 -0400, Marsha wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:50:58 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:
I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

No ID is required before issueing a boarding pass. I always print it at
home within 24 hours of my flight. Now if you're talking about getting
through security without ID and a boarding pass, that's another thing.

You don't think identification is checked over the web?
Anybody can just waltz onto the airline's site, say they're you and
print a boarding pass so they can take your place on the flight?

Old October 4th, 2008, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graz[_2_]

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:07:17 +0100, "topof" wrote:

"MI" wrote in message

On 10/2/08 9:06 PM, in article
, "AZ Nomad"

wrote:

[...]

They know how many times you have entered, but not necessarily how
long you've stayed. Especially if you leave by a land border (where
the immigration check - if any - is on the other side).

Old October 4th, 2008, 05:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graz[_2_]

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:40:34 -0500, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:06:23 -0500, AZ Nomad

wrote:

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or
ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes
United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

Which has nothing at all to do with what I said.

My statement stands. I print my boarding passes at home via the Internet.
When
asked for ID, I show my passport or passport ID, even for domestic travel.
The
airlines don't scan or record any information from the ID proferred.

-- Larry

When I check in for an international flight online with CO, my passport
information is already there. I just click on it, and I'm finished.

I used to use my CC at the kiosk, until certain information came up one day.

What kind of information?