Packing for London

Old April 5th, 2006, 08:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Packing for London

I leave this Sunday, two weeks in London and Stratford-upon-Avon, my
first trip out of the country. Those of my acquaintance who have
travelled are shaking their heads over my packing list, wincing at my
two checked bags (one's really quite small, just a tote bag), clucking
their tongues at my three pairs of shoes. But most especially, they say,
my long, black trench coat must stay behind, it's far too bulky and heavy.

Well, it is bulky, and heavy, that's rather the point. But not bring my
London Fog to London? That hardly seems right or proper. However, from a
practical standpoint, my only real counter-argument is that I might need
it; sure, it's nice enough now, but arctic cold and bitter rain might
roll in at any time, and then my light leather jacket would be pitifully
inadequate.

Have I got a leg to stand on? Or will I end up much happier if I depart
sans coat?
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Jesse Dunn" wrote in message
[...]

It really depends on what part of the USA you are from. If, for example, you
are a Southern Californian then bring the coat as you will feel cold. But if
you are from Montana you will find England to be sub-tropical.

If you don't bring a heavy coat and find you need one, there are Department
Stores in the UK!!

JohnT

Old April 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Have I got a leg to stand on? Or will I end up much happier if I depart
sans coat?

Temperatures are close to freezing at night here at the moment.

Not too much wind today, but you never know what is around the corner.

April showers are almosts certain, so waterproof outerwear and plently of
optional layers are ideal.

Old April 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Jesse Dunn

I leave this Sunday, two weeks in London and Stratford-upon-Avon, my
first trip out of the country. Those of my acquaintance who have
travelled are shaking their heads over my packing list, wincing at my
two checked bags (one's really quite small, just a tote bag), clucking
their tongues at my three pairs of shoes.

if you want three pairs of shoes, bring them.

But most especially, they say,
my long, black trench coat must stay behind, it's far too bulky and heavy.

Well, it is bulky, and heavy, that's rather the point. But not bring my
London Fog to London?

You wont find any fog in London, unless you come in October or
November and even then its pretty unusual. At the moment its
April showers and spring is just breaking, the daffodils have all
come out (late), when its a clear night there's a little frost
and daytime temps are 12 -15 C. Its 9.30 am and 8C at the moment.
Of course almost anything could happen tomorrow :-)

That hardly seems right or proper. However, from a
practical standpoint, my only real counter-argument is that I might need
it; sure, it's nice enough now, but arctic cold and bitter rain might
roll in at any time, and then my light leather jacket would be pitifully
inadequate.

If its a thick winter coat its probably too much unless maybe you
are used to a florida climate? Do you have a light raincoat?
Layering is always the best way to deal with the British climate.
--
Mike Reid
London & London walks inc. Thames path
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Jesse Dunn wrote:
[...]

Well, you have a large luggage allotment on the plane, take what YOU
want. The only thing is if you're taking public transport, you'tt have
to carry it, and sometimes up long flights of steps. Three pairs of
shoes to me does not seem excessive, if it rains you may be glad that
you brought them. I had bought a pair of rain pants in London for use
in Scandinavia, but had the most use for them in London although I
didn't wear them there but wish I had. The idea of layering is
excellent wherever you travel. Have a pleasant trip.

George

Old April 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Have I got a leg to stand on? Or will I end up much happier if I depart
sans coat?

Temperatures are close to freezing at night here at the moment.

Close? I needed some effort to open the car door this morning as it was iced
closed. I also made the mistake of washing the windscreen before the engine
warmed up and had to stop as it just froze onto the screen.

Not too much wind today, but you never know what is around the corner.

April showers are almosts certain, so waterproof outerwear and plently of
optional layers are ideal.

It's a funny time of year, at the moment it's not so bad during the day. If
the sun it out you can get away with a light coat, I wouldn't like to try
extended periods without a coat at all. However that can change at any time,
but the trend is in the right direction now.

It's not just the UK, I remember last year I was in Nice at the end of
April, one day was so hot only shorts and t-shirt would do, the next and you
needed a coat.

Old April 5th, 2006, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Jesse Dunn" wrote in message
Stratford-upon-Avon

When you do the open top bus ride make sure you get on one which has a live
guide, so much more amusing than the commentary on CD :-)

Old April 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Have I got a leg to stand on? Or will I end up much happier if I depart
sans coat?

Temperatures are close to freezing at night here at the moment.

Close? I needed some effort to open the car door this morning as it was

iced
closed. I also made the mistake of washing the windscreen before the

engine
warmed up and had to stop as it just froze onto the screen.

I suspect that you were up earlier than I.

Old April 5th, 2006, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

In article , Jesse Dunn
writes

Have I got a leg to stand on? Or will I end up much happier if I depart
sans coat?

Is it like this one?
http://www.cctaylor.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=18
or this one?
http://www.cctaylor.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=10

I'd bring it - you will need it if the temperatures are anything like
they are this week.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Dubiously Fragrant Muffin

Today is grey and crappy.

that's what I hate about Italy, bright and sunny here in London
:-)
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site