European trip ?'s

Old January 4th, 2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default European trip ?'s

"george" wrote in message
ups.com...

David Horne:
I noticed quite a few foreign tourists at the House of
Commons debate I watched recently. I think that could
be interesting too for a visitor- certainly, I found it interesting!

George:
The next time I come to London I'll have to look into doing that,
what I've seen on TV looked interesting and entertaining and
certainly would be different. Do you need some kind of political
connections?

Nope, just some patience to endure the wait.

Richard

Old January 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:02:45 +0100, Jens Arne Maennig wrote:

Bruges - 117,327 inhabitants
or Ghent - 230,951 souls

Not exactly what I would call a small town.

Compared to the usual sightseeing agenda of London, Paris, Rome, Munich,
etc, they are definitely small.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Richard wrote:

"george" wrote in message
ups.com...

David Horne:
I noticed quite a few foreign tourists at the House of
Commons debate I watched recently. I think that could
be interesting too for a visitor- certainly, I found it interesting!

George:
The next time I come to London I'll have to look into doing that,
what I've seen on TV looked interesting and entertaining and
certainly would be different. Do you need some kind of political
connections?

Nope, just some patience to endure the wait.

You'll avoid the wait if you follow the procedures on the website I
listed.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy" wrote:

Where in Europe is a restaurant not open by 7? I ask, because we're
early diners, and have never had a problem.

About 15 years ago we arrived in Padua late on a Sunday afternoon. We started looking for a restaurant
at around 6 pm and after about an hour we gave up and hoped on the train to Venice to get a meal.

Old January 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

You should have dinner before going to bed, because getting your stomach on
European time is part of the way to overcome jet lag. It depends to some
extent on where you are, but in most European countries, there's no way to
have dinner and be in bed by 7, because the restaurants aren't even open
yet.

Where in Europe is a restaurant not open by 7? I ask, because we're
early diners, and have never had a problem.

They were saying you should have finished your meal and been back in bed
by then. Looking for pub food, I couldn't find anywhere open in North
Oxford before 6.30 last week.

Old January 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

You should have dinner before going to bed, because getting your stomach on
European time is part of the way to overcome jet lag. It depends to some
extent on where you are, but in most European countries, there's no way to
have dinner and be in bed by 7, because the restaurants aren't even open
yet.

Where in Europe is a restaurant not open by 7? I ask, because we're
early diners, and have never had a problem.

They were saying you should have finished your meal and been back in bed
by then. Looking for pub food, I couldn't find anywhere open in North
Oxford before 6.30 last week.

No problem at 6pm in central Oxford a few weeks ago!

Old January 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

Ken Blake wrote:

Carole Allen wrote:

Ditto on the jet lag...stay awake as long as you can when you
arrive - if you take a short nap your sleep pattern will be allout
of whack for sure. Get out and walk/stroll around, then hit bed
early evening...I'd say no earlier than 7pm.

I'm with you on the principle, but I disagree about 7pm. That's too
early. You should have dinner before going to bed, because getting
your stomach on European time is part of the way to overcome jet
lag. It depends to some extent on where you are, but in most
European countries, there's no way to have dinner and be in bed by
7, because the restaurants aren't even open yet.

Where in Europe is a restaurant not open by 7? I ask, because we're
early diners, and have never had a problem.

As I said, in most places in Italy I've been, restaurants don't open before
7:30 or 8. In Madrid I could never find anyplace open before 9.

We're early diners too. We often find ourselves standing in front of
restaurants, waiting for them to open.

Old January 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Ken Blake wrote:

Carole Allen wrote:

[...]

Not been to Madrid, but no problems elsewhere in Madrid. I'd read
similar stories about Barcelona- again no problem. Often the restaurant
is quiet, but still serving. Don't recall any problems in Italy...

Old January 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

[]
Not been to Madrid, but no problems elsewhere in Madrid.

Argh- Spain!

Old January 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:16:47 -0800, Citizen Ted
wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:33:40 -0800, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

Finally, bear in mind that Europeans travel a lot lighter than Americans, so
trains aren't designed for dragging around lots of big suitcases.

I'm not sure I agree that Europeans travel a lot lighter than
Americans, or at least I would have to say that Italians are an
exception to the rule. You wouldn't believe the enormous bags that
I've seen Italians take on weekend trips.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it