European trip ?'s

Old January 4th, 2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default European trip ?'s

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy" wrote in
message news:1h8nmkt.7y7gh517g2ipsN%this_address_is_for_sp ...

Where in Europe is a restaurant not open by 7? I ask, because we're
early diners, and have never had a problem.

I spent a couple weeks in a town just outside Madrid called Alcala. While
there were restaurants open all afternoon and evening, the dinner pickings
were really slim until perhaps 8:30 or 9:00pm.

I went to Madrid for a week after my stay in Alcala and again, excepting the
fast-food chains and kebab places, there really wasn't much to choose from
at 7pm.

Richard

Old January 4th, 2006, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Richard wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy" wrote in
message news:1h8nmkt.7y7gh517g2ipsN%this_address_is_for_sp ...

Where in Europe is a restaurant not open by 7? I ask, because we're
early diners, and have never had a problem.

I spent a couple weeks in a town just outside Madrid called Alcala. While
there were restaurants open all afternoon and evening, the dinner pickings
were really slim until perhaps 8:30 or 9:00pm.

I went to Madrid for a week after my stay in Alcala and again, excepting the
fast-food chains and kebab places, there really wasn't much to choose from
at 7pm.

To be fair, my only experience in Spain has been Seville, Cordoba,
Granada, Nerja, Malaga, Barcelona, Sitges and Tarragona. I don't once
remember having a problem with dinner at around 7pm, which is when we
usually eat, though sometimes from around 6.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

PTRAVEL wrote:
Buying from a consolidator is a good way to save money, particularl if you
want to fly in business or first class. However, anyone considering buying
from a consolidator should understand the downside: it may be impossible to
make a change to your schedule, even with a penalty.

You certainly can get less restrictive tickets directly from the airline,
but only at a much higher price. Tickets bought through agents
are generally LESS restricted than ones bought for a similar price
directly from the airline.

If there is a problem, your recourse is with the consolidator, not the
airline.

Why is that a problem?

And, of course, you probably won't get frequent flyer miles on a
consolidator ticket.

Less likely, maybe, but I wouldn't go so far to say "probably won't."
But, in any case, it isn't worth paying a higher price just to get FF miles,
they really aren't worth the extra cost.

K.
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:04:25 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:29:07 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Martin

yes, first class is a waste of money, better spent upgrading
elsewhere.

Not when it's somebody else's money.

nobody suggested that was the case.

sigh and nobody didn't.

This is about a family of 3, who has saved for the trip for a
while.

Why do you make these pointless arguments?

Old January 4th, 2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

In article 2Oiuf.1482$Dh.1371@dukeread04, jst wrote:

Our family of three( 2 adults & 17 y/o )are considering a trip to Europe
this summer. We would want to spend at least 2-3 days in London then 5-7
days going from France ( Paris a must ) to Switzerland ( the alps ). We
have traveled the states extensively and have never been overseas.Is
this the type of trip that we should do exclusively with a travel agency
and do the group tour bit. We have never been the types to do a group
tour but would do one if we could find the right locations included.
We are just starting to look into this and any recommendations would be
appreciated. We are budgeting 10 - 15 thousand , is this reasonable ???

I highly highly recommend getting Rick Steves' _Europe Through the Back
Door_. It will not only help you decide on a tour, or not, but will
also contain some sightseeing info to help you decide what to see. One
of the things you'll learn from the book is that you may be trying to
see too much in too little time, and are over-budgeting. Really, get
that book it's a great starter and this Steves guy kinda caters to
first-timers.

Later,

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

""Király"" wrote in message

If there is a problem, your recourse is with the consolidator, not the
airline.

Why is that a problem?

The last time I flew on a ticket from a consolidator, the departure time of
the flight was moved back, and nobody told us. Fortunately we were at the
airport quite early.

Marianne

Old January 4th, 2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Where in Europe is a restaurant not open by 7? I ask, because we're
early diners, and have never had a problem.

I'll echo everything everyone has said about Madrid, except to add that
we would have welcomed finding a restaurant that opened at 9:00 p.m. The
ones we patronized didn't open until 9:30 p.m. At the beginning of our
trip, we made reservations at 9:30, but it was just too spooky being the
only patrons in the restaurant for at least half an hour. We either
switched to 10:00 p.m. dinners or had wholly satisfactory meals eating
tapas for the rest of our trip.

While we're normally late eaters -- 7:30 p.m. is early for us -- we got
less accomplished in Madrid than on any other trip because of our late
dinners and resulting late bed times.

Karen Selwyn

Old January 4th, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Karen Selwyn wrote:

Where in Europe is a restaurant not open by 7? I ask, because we're
early diners, and have never had a problem.

I'll echo everything everyone has said about Madrid, except to add that
we would have welcomed finding a restaurant that opened at 9:00 p.m. The
ones we patronized didn't open until 9:30 p.m. At the beginning of our
trip, we made reservations at 9:30, but it was just too spooky being the
only patrons in the restaurant for at least half an hour. We either
switched to 10:00 p.m. dinners or had wholly satisfactory meals eating
tapas for the rest of our trip.

It looks like Madrid comes up a bit then, and I've never been there. I
have certainly encountered restaurants that weren't serving, but there
was one nearby that was- hence why it's never been a problem. Believe
me, my partner is _so_ particular about eating fairly early that I would
have remembered it!