when and why did southwest abandon DCA?

Old March 7th, 2008, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default when and why did southwest abandon DCA?

saw no press coverage, but suddenly there are no flights, even by ATA
(southwest's partner), out of DCA. only from IAD and BWI. when and why
did southwest dump DCA?
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Mr. Travel wrote:

wrote:

saw no press coverage, but suddenly there are no flights, even by ATA
(southwest's partner), out of DCA. only from IAD and BWI. when and why
did southwest dump DCA?

WN didn't dump DCA, ATA did. WN did it as a codeshare on ATA. I believe
this was due to the DCA-MDW flights. I don't know when ATA stopped
flying to DCA, but saw an note here saying it was in Nov.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/ata/index.html

It also seems that ATA is getting out of MDW
MDW, of course, is a big Southwest location
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/ata/index.html

DCA is mention in another article on the page above.

"ATA to end flights to New York LaGuardia, Washington National"
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
cph

On Mar 6, 11:44 pm, "Mr. Travel" wrote:

"ATA to end flights to New York LaGuardia, Washington National"

A few years ago (2005?), I did ONT-MDW-DCA. Cheap fare, but....

a. Long layovers at MDW. Coming back I had enough time to take the CTA
train to the Loop and back. I probably could have stretched it and had
dinner at the Billygoat Cafe, and maybe visit a couple of relatives,
but I didn't want to press my luck..

b. The particular ATA plane was kind of noisy (engines, as well as
flight attendants chattering away in the back)

c. At DCA, ATA used the more remote Terminal "A", rather than either
"B" or "C". At "B" or "C" you can just walk to the Metro station, but
from "A", you'd need to take a shuttle bus (add 15-20 min).

d. On the return trip, the ATA portion of the ticket was reissued as a
one-way, which automatically meant a trip to "Supplemental
Screening" (SSSS)
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff[_16_]

wrote in message
saw no press coverage, but suddenly there are no flights, even by ATA
(southwest's partner), out of DCA. only from IAD and BWI. when and why
did southwest dump DCA?

Southwest's connection with ATA was as an investor (and they may have sold
their interest when ATA was taken private). ATA makes their own route
decisions. They pulled out of DCA and LGA because they felt they were more
successful concentrating on leisure destinations rather than business
destinations. Southwest has never flown into DCA, and only entered IAD
within the past year after Independence Air shut down.

Old March 19th, 2008, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Justin Case[_2_]

SMS wrote in news:47df5fe0$0$36397
:

I read that it was because they didn't want to fly to an airport named
after Ronald Reagan.

Which coloring book was that?

Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mar 8, 12:56 pm, cph wrote:
On Mar 6, 11:44 pm, "Mr. Travel" wrote:

"ATA to end flights to New York LaGuardia, Washington National"

A few years ago (2005?), I did ONT-MDW-DCA. Cheap fare, but....

a. Long layovers atMDW. Coming back I had enough time to take the CTA
train to the Loop and back. I probably could have stretched it and had
dinner at the Billygoat Cafe, and maybe visit a couple of relatives,
but I didn't want to press my luck..

in past years, depending on bad scheduling or delays, i have had the
time to ride CTA to chinatown, sometimes even using a BUS along archer
to head back toward MDW.