Long layover in LAX

Old April 20th, 2009, 04:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Long layover in LAX

Hey everyone

I am looking at going to Sydney this coming fall. I will be flying
from Casper, WY which limits my options. In any event a search of the
internet shows Delta, as having the best fare. Only thing is that I
will either have a long layover in Salt Lake City or at LAX. If I
remember right the layover at LAX could end up being, as much as 10
hours. If I were to end with that layover how easy would it be use
public transportation to leave the airport to do some sightseeing.
Also how much time should I allow for clearing security to make my
connecting flight to Sydney. In addition are they storage lockers for
luggage at LAX.

Thanks for your help
Sam Metz
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:57:55 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hey everyone

I am looking at going to Sydney this coming fall. I will be flying
from Casper, WY which limits my options. In any event a search of the
internet shows Delta, as having the best fare. Only thing is that I
will either have a long layover in Salt Lake City or at LAX. If I
remember right the layover at LAX could end up being, as much as 10
hours. If I were to end with that layover how easy would it be use
public transportation to leave the airport to do some sightseeing.
Also how much time should I allow for clearing security to make my
connecting flight to Sydney. In addition are they storage lockers for
luggage at LAX.

LAX has a connection to the LA light rail system, so you could go
downtown and visit Chinatown and Little Tokyo, not to mention
Olvera Street. Good way to kill some hours.

Check out the LAX web site for info about the transit center.

Check out
http://www.metro.net/index.asp for transit info.

http://www.westland.net/venice/ (I see they have a web cam. It's
night here so I think I'll check it out tomorrow.)

Or you can take a local bus to nearby Venice Beach, where you can
take some photos the folks in Casper will hardly believe, and/or
go the slightly further away Santa Monica Pier.

http://www.santamonicapier.org/

Old April 20th, 2009, 06:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Doe[_2_]

wrote:

hours. If I were to end with that layover how easy would it be use
public transportation to leave the airport to do some sightseeing.

There is a bus that laves LAX and brings you to Santa Monica beaches.

You can also take the flyaway bus to Union Station. (the metro
connection is actually longer than the bus, and requires 3 connections
depending on where you are going).

http://www.metro.net/index.asp

10 hours definitely gives you time for an escapade into LA.

10 hours between flights gives you roughly 7 hours of usable time (1
hour after flight to get your bearings, and arrive 2 hours before next
flight)

Old April 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Michael[_2_]

wrote in message
Hey everyone

I am looking at going to Sydney this coming fall. I will be flying
from Casper, WY which limits my options. In any event a search of the
internet shows Delta, as having the best fare. Only thing is that I
will either have a long layover in Salt Lake City or at LAX. If I
remember right the layover at LAX could end up being, as much as 10
hours. If I were to end with that layover how easy would it be use
public transportation to leave the airport to do some sightseeing.
Also how much time should I allow for clearing security to make my
connecting flight to Sydney. In addition are they storage lockers for
luggage at LAX.

Thanks for your help
Sam Metz

Also if all your flights are on the same ticket you shouldn't have to worry
about luggage storage as Delta will check-in your bag all the way to Sydney.

Old April 21st, 2009, 03:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:27:03 +0100, "Michael"
wrote:

Also if all your flights are on the same ticket you shouldn't have to worry
about luggage storage as Delta will check-in your bag all the way to Sydney.

Perhaps for carryon?

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_2_]

wrote:

Also if all your flights are on the same ticket you shouldn't have to worry
about luggage storage as Delta will check-in your bag all the way to Sydney.

Perhaps for carryon?

Assuming you take what you can reasonably carry, it shouldn't be a
problem. If you try and take a rollerboard, well, you can't act
surprised when you get to roller it along side you wherever you go.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:54:13 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

Assuming you take what you can reasonably carry, it shouldn't be a
problem. If you try and take a rollerboard, well, you can't act
surprised when you get to roller it along side you wherever you go.

Somehow if I were going someplace with a time frame like what was
described, I'd rather not be carryon around my (legal sized) carryon
and laptop.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_2_]

wrote:

Assuming you take what you can reasonably carry, it shouldn't be a
problem. If you try and take a rollerboard, well, you can't act
surprised when you get to roller it along side you wherever you go.

Somehow if I were going someplace with a time frame like what was
described, I'd rather not be carryon around my (legal sized) carryon
and laptop.

I guess that's up to you, I used to carry a 24lb bag which included my
17" "laptop" and gear (10lb) plus a change of clothes and other bit of
essentials and wouldn't think twice of strapping it to my back and
taking it with me for a few hours exploring a new city.

I wouldn't drag my checked rollerboard around, and at least once I've
talked an airline into letting me check the bag in several hours early
when I had two flights on the same day that weren't on the same ticket.

So like I said in my last message, it's all about what *you* can
reasonably carry, but if you can't handle your own legal sized carry-on
and laptop, you should probably address that at check-in.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

wrote:

Also if all your flights are on the same ticket you shouldn't have to worry
about luggage storage as Delta will check-in your bag all the way to Sydney.

Perhaps for carryon?

Hi there

The what the LAX website says.
"Electronic lockers are no longer available at LAX. Please contact
your airline to arrange baggage storage."

Michael