Credit Cards and Pins

Old September 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Martin Hunt

Default Credit Cards and Pins

Having recently been in Australia, I am wondering why I am still
unable to use my PIN with my credit card. New Zealand has had this
simple security system for a number of years, but Australians look at
you as if you have two heads if you ask them about it - the concept
seems totally foreign to them.

At one place I took hold of the keypad and keyed in my PIN, and was
still asked for my signature! The checkout person then asked for
evidence of my signature, as the signature had totally worn off. This
was the only time I was asked for another copy of my signature,
despite using my credit card a number of times.
--
Martin Hunt
Ngaio
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Roger[_2_]

"Martin Hunt" wrote in message
Having recently been in Australia, I am wondering why I am still
unable to use my PIN with my credit card. New Zealand has had this
simple security system for a number of years, but Australians look at
you as if you have two heads if you ask them about it - the concept
seems totally foreign to them.

At one place I took hold of the keypad and keyed in my PIN, and was
still asked for my signature! The checkout person then asked for
evidence of my signature, as the signature had totally worn off. This
was the only time I was asked for another copy of my signature,
despite using my credit card a number of times.
--

Varies from CC to CC, my AMEX does not have a PIN and requires
a signature, VISA has a PIN but an unsigned voucher can be disputed,

Old September 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_1_]

"Roger" wrote in message

[...]

My New Zealand issued cards work with my PIN in any ATM in Australia, but
not at EFTPOS terminals.

Old September 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry

"Martin Hunt" wrote in message
Having recently been in Australia, I am wondering why I am still
unable to use my PIN with my credit card. New Zealand has had this
simple security system for a number of years, but Australians look at
you as if you have two heads if you ask them about it - the concept
seems totally foreign to them.

At one place I took hold of the keypad and keyed in my PIN, and was
still asked for my signature! The checkout person then asked for
evidence of my signature, as the signature had totally worn off. This
was the only time I was asked for another copy of my signature,
despite using my credit card a number of times.
--
Martin Hunt
Ngaio
Wellington
New Zealand

I've often wondered why the banks also don't put a photograph of the person
who owns the CC on the card. I think some banks do this in Europe.

Why they don't use PINs or photographs here in Australia, I don't know. But,
I remember reading somewhere that a certain bank made about $500 million
profit, solely on their CC system. I also read another story that CC fraud
was only around 0.3% of transactions.

Now if I made $500 million last year, would I be worried that someone
ripped me off for a measley few million? Certainly not!

Like the banks probably do, I'd claim the lost money in my tax return and
then move on to making my next $500 million bucks. -

Old September 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Martin Hunt

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:51:52 +1000, "Kerry"
wrote:

"Martin Hunt" wrote in message
.. .
Having recently been in Australia, I am wondering why I am still
unable to use my PIN with my credit card. New Zealand has had this
simple security system for a number of years, but Australians look at
you as if you have two heads if you ask them about it - the concept
seems totally foreign to them.

At one place I took hold of the keypad and keyed in my PIN, and was
still asked for my signature! The checkout person then asked for
evidence of my signature, as the signature had totally worn off. This
was the only time I was asked for another copy of my signature,
despite using my credit card a number of times.

I've often wondered why the banks also don't put a photograph of the person
who owns the CC on the card. I think some banks do this in Europe.

Well, I've got that on my card, too. That might be why I was hardly
ever asked to verify my signature.
But, the banks never ask you to update the photo, and charge you extra
if you want to change it. So, you could end up with very out of date
photo of yourself on the card.

Why they don't use PINs or photographs here in Australia, I don't know. But,
I remember reading somewhere that a certain bank made about $500 million
profit, solely on their CC system. I also read another story that CC fraud
was only around 0.3% of transactions.

I would have thought that CC fraud would be quite easy. But, if you
keep the card with you all the time I suppose you are fairly safe.
There are a few places, such as automated car park exits, where you
don't need a signature or anything - just swipe your (or someone
else's) card. Makes you wonder why we bother with PINs, etc.