fastest and most convenient way from London Heathrow to Gatwick

Old October 21st, 2003, 11:52 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default fastest and most convenient way from London Heathrow to Gatwick

In article ,
Dave Noble wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:18:07 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

In article ,
AJC wrote:

LOL, don't start me on that. It is one of the most irritating things
about using LGW. Here at AMS I can check my gate number on the
internet the previous day, at LGW you check-in an hour in advance and
still they won't give you a gate number, just 'wait in lounge'.

BAA wants to keep you shopping and not wait in the gate area

More relevantly, you cannot wait in the gate area until the staff turn
up to open it

or do you mean AMS (clear security just before gate...)
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:36 AM
Miguel Cruz

AJC wrote:
Not the Karl Orff wrote:
or do you mean AMS (clear security just before gate...)

At AMS security is at the entrances to the departures areas.

Both, for long-hauls.

miguel
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:35 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:00:28 -0700, Ramon Miquel wrote:

OK. A few months ago I did exactly that: fly from US to LHR with UA,
then on to Europe from LGW on BA. I was scheduled to arrive to LHR from
IAD at 5:55am, and leave from LGW at 9:25am. I didn't chech any luggage.
Actually, I landed at LHR at 5:05, went straight to the central bus
station, only to (re-)learn that the first bus departs at 6am.

So it took me about 2 hours from scheduled arrival time in LHR. The fact
that the plane was early didn't help me, because I had to wait for the
bus.

If your plane had actually arrived at the schedules 5:55, there's no way
you could have caught a 6:00 bus. So the plane being early *did* help you.
How long did you actually wait?

--
Don't be sorry to email me.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:35 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:54:43 +0100, "Miss L. Toe" wrote:

This is where some bright spark suggests you change the flight to go to
somewhere near Bologna that BA flys to from LHR

But that wouldn't help, as it's impossible to go anywhere else than the
nearest town to the airport. At least that's what's usually claimed in
the Ryanair-threads.

--
Don't be sorry to email me.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:35 PM
Ramon Miquel

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:00:28 -0700, Ramon Miquel wrote:

OK. A few months ago I did exactly that: fly from US to LHR with UA,
then on to Europe from LGW on BA. I was scheduled to arrive to LHR from
IAD at 5:55am, and leave from LGW at 9:25am. I didn't chech any luggage.
Actually, I landed at LHR at 5:05, went straight to the central bus
station, only to (re-)learn that the first bus departs at 6am.

So it took me about 2 hours from scheduled arrival time in LHR. The fact
that the plane was early didn't help me, because I had to wait for the
bus.

If your plane had actually arrived at the schedules 5:55, there's no way
you could have caught a 6:00 bus. So the plane being early *did* help you.
How long did you actually wait?

It took me less than 15 minutes from the plane to the bus station.
Immigration took no time at all (I'm a EU national). And the "6am" bus
left at almost 6:15. Actually, the ticket office only opened at about
6:10. So I think I could have made the same bus had I landed at 5:55. Of
course, immigration could have been more crowded at that time...

Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:03 AM
mimi

"Ramon Miquel" wrote in message
AJC wrote:

OK. A few months ago I did exactly that: fly from US to LHR with UA,
then on to Europe from LGW on BA. I was scheduled to arrive to LHR from
IAD at 5:55am, and leave from LGW at 9:25am. I didn't chech any luggage.
Actually, I landed at LHR at 5:05, went straight to the central bus
station, only to (re-)learn that the first bus departs at 6am. Waited,
took the first bus and arrived at LGW at about 7:20. Check-in took about
15 minutes, and I did have to check-in my carry-on. Security was fast
and I was at the lounge waiting for my departure gate to be announced
(don't you like this "feature" of both LHR and LGW? No!) at about 7:50.

So it took me about 2 hours from scheduled arrival time in LHR. The fact
that the plane was early didn't help me, because I had to wait for the
bus. So with 2h45 it is certainly feasible.

Might be less traffic that time of day.

Marianne

Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:45 AM
Miguel Cruz

AJC wrote:
(Miguel Cruz) wrote:
I dunno - we had additional screening at the gate for a nonstop AMS to SIN a
little while ago.

Interesting. Was it KL, GA, or SQ?

SQ.

miguel