Car Hire In New Zealand

Old May 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM
davey watts

Default Car Hire In New Zealand

Hi All,

Thanks to all those that answered my last question about the weather in
September.

I have now booked some flights and i'm now looking into the hiring of car.

I have read on different web pages that you cannot take hire cars from one
island to the other. How does this work ?. Do i have to pre book a ferry
crossing ?.

The pages say you drop the car at the port, i guess board the ferry as a
passenger carrying all your rubbish with you, and then pick up a new hire
car the other side and the reverse when you come back across.

How does this work with the hire papers ?. Do you get issued new papers for
each new car ?.

Thanks in Advance
Dave.

Old May 21st, 2004, 03:24 AM
A Mate

You can take hire cars on the ferry - it depends on the company you've hired
from.

We used ARF Car Rentals, offices in Auckland, Christchurch and Palmerston
North. Honda Domaine with a/c, auto - included insurance - $32 NZD per day
(for 6 weeks) in peak period. Good car, good service!

http://www.hirecar.co.nz

Old May 24th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Geoff McCaughan

davey watts wrote:

I have read on different web pages that you cannot take hire cars from one
island to the other. How does this work ?. Do i have to pre book a ferry
crossing ?.

Depending on the company, you can take hire cars on the ferry, but it's a
lot cheaper not to.

If crossing as a passenger [no car] you usually don't need to book unless
you're travelling on a public holiday etc. When I'm crossing with a
motorcycle, I just turn up.

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Kath

Hi, it is common practice when you hire from a company with offices in both
ports for you to switch cars. You unload your rubbish and check it in, like
at the airport, then pickup your luggage and new car at the other side. It
is quite expencieve to take a car on the ferry, so the hassle does save you
a couple of hundred dollars. I think some car companies can book the ferry
or you advise them which sailing you are taking and they sort out the cars.
Good luck
Kath

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Hi Dave,

About pre-booking your ferry:

The cheapest option is to buy an Ultra Saver ticket for your ferry
crossing. But you'll have to buy this ticket well in advance (they
sell out quickly), and it can only be bought in New Zealand. So this
is only an option when you spend enough time in New Zealand. Also,
there's no refund possible for this ticket (and you cannot change
dates once booked; you can only upgrade to other ticket fares).
There's also the Saver Change ticket, but this ticket can also be
booked once you're actually in New Zealand.
The Easy Change ticket can be bought in advance through the website of
the interislander.
And, there's another ferry company: Cook Strait. You'll find more info
on my website about this topic.

Have a good trip!
Boukeline Arnold
http://www.new-zealand-camper-van-ad...d-ferries.html

Old May 31st, 2004, 06:25 AM
Nigel Marx

[...]

Now THATS the way you get your commercial on UseNet.Offer some clear concise
and informed information, relevant to the topic and put your company in as
link with more info. Done with taste my friend.

Regards

Nigel in NZ

--"How can I be lost if I don't care where I am?"--

Old June 13th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Lor

Hi Dave,

We recently hired a car in NZ for five weeks through ezy.co.nz and we opted
to take the car onto the ferry (it's easier, trust me). We pre-booked it
through their website. We picked the car up from Auckland (near the
airport, they have a shuttle bus and they come and get you) and dropped it
off in Christchurch (again near the air port). This type of hire is called
a "one way rental" and from memory most car hire places do offer it if they
have branches in both your arival and departure points. We hired the car
over Dec/Jan (peak period) and there were no hassels and the service was
great (they were even so kind as to tell us 6 weeks later after arriving
home, that we got a speeding ticket in Te Anu

I wouldn't opt for getting a new car upon arriving at the next island. Yes
you pay a fee to take the car on board but it is much more convenient and in
our case (because we were paying $39NZ per day, and ezy.co.nz do not have
offices inWellington or Picton) it was better to pay the fee to put the car
onto the ferry then pay a higher daily rate with a company who could give us
a new car once departing the ferry if need be.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip - it's an awesome country.

Laura