Whale Watching Perth? Ferry to Roddnest Island?

Old August 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Whale Watching Perth? Ferry to Roddnest Island?

Hi,

we are going to visit Perth for some days begin of November. As one
activity we would like to go whale watching.

I've searched in the web, reviewed some sites and found out that there
are some operators start whale watching tours from Fremantle.

Here my question:

Should we go on designated "Whale Watching Tour" or could we also
simply take a ferry to Roddnest Island to see some Whales on the way
(as the ferry would cross the same water as the whale watching tours)?

Or do the Whale Watching Tours take different routes, are closer to the
whales etc.?

Thanks for any advices in advance.

Old August 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
techD

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

we are going to visit Perth for some days begin of November. As one
activity we would like to go whale watching.

I've searched in the web, reviewed some sites and found out that there
are some operators start whale watching tours from Fremantle.

Here my question:

Should we go on designated "Whale Watching Tour" or could we also
simply take a ferry to Roddnest Island to see some Whales on the way
(as the ferry would cross the same water as the whale watching tours)?

Or do the Whale Watching Tours take different routes, are closer to the
whales etc.?

Thanks for any advices in advance.

Hi, I was in Perth Oct 05. Went on 2 whale watching trips from Hillarys.
Whilst you could possibly see whales on the Rottnest ferry the ferry doesnt
have time to hang around and wait for the whales to surface etc. The
dedicated boat does potentially stay in the same area for perhaps 45 mins if
needed - which on the 2nd occasion was really needed.

We did it twice because we were at a loose end for a day, and it ended up
much better than the first as there was less swell, and saw 4 whales instead
of 2. They breached out of the water many times. If you were on the Rottnest
boat - I seriously doubt you'd get the same amount of viewing. On the other
hand - if you have only got 1 day - Rottnest is apparently worth a visit (I
didn't go) and seeing whales could be the bonus.

TD