Carnival Changes Ports

Old October 30th, 2003, 11:23 PM
David G. Wagner

Default Carnival Changes Ports

Hi, this very well may have been posted here before and I missed it. I
saw this over at cruisemates site and I don't think they will mind me
posting it here.
My thing with this is that Carnival made this change after final payment
was due yet all they offer if you bought you own air is to let you pay
them more to transport you to the other port or you can pay someone else
to do it. I think since it was their last minute change they should be
offering transportation free.
Now I'm not on any of these cruises nor do I dislike Carnival, I'm on a
Carnival cruise in December, just don't think this was right of them. If
you are on one of these cruises hopefully Carnival has already let you
know.

ARTICLE:
FROM THE CARNIVAL WEBSITE
The Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) Ministerial Meeting and
Business Forum will be held in downtown Miami in November.
This important meeting is expected to attract over 100,000 visitors to a
very concentrated area in downtown directly adjacent to the Port of
Miami. We have carefully assessed this situation and have determined
that the massive congestion that will be created by this meeting would
result in a serious disruption to our operation from the Port of Miami
during this time.
As a result, we will change the embarkation and/or debarkation port from
Miami to Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) for the following cruise
departures:

Paradise
Saildate: 11/2/03
Embark: Miami
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/9/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/16/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Miami

Carnival Triumph
Saildate: 11/8/03
Embark: Miami
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/15/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/22/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Miami

Carnival Victory
Saildate: 11/9/03
Embark: Miami
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/16/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Miami

Fascination
Saildate: 11/10/03
Embark: Miami
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/14/03 and 11/17/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/21/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Miami

Imagination
Saildate: 11/10/03
Embark: Miami
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/15/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Port Everglades

Saildate: 11/20/03
Embark: Port Everglades
Debark: Miami

Carnival will handle the logistics for this change as follows:
=95 Guests with air and/or transfers purchased from Carnival: Carnival
will adjust the transfers to correspond with the changes to the
embarkation or debarkation port.

(HERE COMES THE ONE i'M TALKING ABOUT):
=95 Guests with air purchased independently: Guests can purchase
motorcoach transfers from Carnival. If guests elect to obtain an
independent transfer (taxi, etc.), Carnival will not be responsible for
this cost.

=95 Guests driving to the pier: Guests should park at the appropriate
port of embarkation. In the event the ship returns to a different port
of debarkation, Carnival will provide a complimentary motorcoach
transfer back to the port of embarkation. Carnival will adjust the
transfers to correspond with the changes to the embarkation or
debarkation port.
We sincerely apologize for these itinerary changes. However, they will
enable us to offer the best possible cruise experience for all of our
guests.

http://community.webtv.net/I_Will_Ta...OWNTOTHECRUISE

Old October 30th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Howard Garland

David G. Wagner wrote:

(HERE COMES THE ONE i'M TALKING ABOUT):
• Guests with air purchased independently: Guests can purchase
motorcoach transfers from Carnival. If guests elect to obtain an
independent transfer (taxi, etc.), Carnival will not be responsible for
this cost.

That really sucks, David. Thanks for the post.

Howard

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:01 AM
KeithF4281

Actually, the move seems like a very wise decision. These events tend to have
some riots attached to them by mostly non-residents of the city where they are
held. Seattle, Genoa, etc, etc...come to mind.

While it may not seem "fair" this really comes under the same clasification as
the lines right to change a port call, or what happens when engine problems
cause a cancellation.

You can "save" money by booking air on your own. Or you can "save" most of
these problems by spending a bit more and booking air with the line. You make
the choice. Simply change the air reservation to Ft Lauderdale (ah, I hear
the complaints already, that cheap fare to Miami is non-changable, etc, etc).

I think the line can chime right back with the fact they are moving those
sailings to Ft Lauderdale for reasons of passenger safety. Trust me, the line
doesn't really want to do this, it is a pain in the rear for them too, and will
cost them $.

Regards, Keith
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:36 AM
Howard Garland

KeithF4281 wrote:
Actually, the move seems like a very wise decision. These events tend to have
some riots attached to them by mostly non-residents of the city where they are
held. Seattle, Genoa, etc, etc...come to mind.

While it may not seem "fair" this really comes under the same clasification as
the lines right to change a port call, or what happens when engine problems
cause a cancellation.

You can "save" money by booking air on your own. Or you can "save" most of
these problems by spending a bit more and booking air with the line. You make
the choice. Simply change the air reservation to Ft Lauderdale (ah, I hear
the complaints already, that cheap fare to Miami is non-changable, etc, etc).

But the line was not offering to change air for those who booked with
them. They were providing people with a long bus ride. I don't do
crowded busses with the unwashed hordes, even on the rare occasion that
I have booked air with a cruise line. I take a cab; or when I have
booked air to FLL for a cruise departing from Miami, I hire a private
car. I don't mind hiring a car when I have chosen to fly to an out of
the way airport; but I sure as hell do mind this, when the cruise line
has made the decision for me.

So although you are correct, Keith, that it might be a wise decision for
the cruise line; it still ****es me off.

Howard

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:28 PM
JLeary256

The distance is only 30 miles and plenty of shuttle services available.
Problems will happen to those who have tight Miami flights.
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:55 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:23:12 -0500 (EST),
(David G. Wagner) wrote:

If
you are on one of these cruises hopefully Carnival has already let you
know.

Hi Everyone,

Here is an article from the Miami Herald that explains why all of the
major cruise lines are making the move to Port Everglades during this
period.
http://tinyurl.com/t57p

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:47 PM
Jo-Ann

It's 23 miles from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale. I wouldn't consider that
a "long bus ride." Years ago when we booked our first cruise with
RCI, we ignorantly booked air through them as well. They flew us into
Ft. Lauderdale and out of Miami (or vice versa, can't remember now).
It was no big deal. Yes, of course they provided the transfers (which
they should, I paid a ridiculously high rate for the air). The big
deal was that they put us on fights with terrible connections (mind
you, we were flying out of Philly, so there was no excuse to put us on
anything except nonstop). We had a four hour layover in Cleveland.
Not fun...especially since it's on the way home.

I'm thinking it would be a logistics nightmare for Carnival to try and
provide complimentary transfers to passengers. Everybody arrives at
different times (even different days).

Besides, usually you get better fares to Ft. Lauderdale than Miami
anyway. I'd try to change and see if you can do it without a fee.

Jo-Ann

Old October 31st, 2003, 10:14 PM
Howard Garland

Jo-Ann wrote:

It's 23 miles from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale. I wouldn't consider that
a "long bus ride." Years ago when we booked our first cruise with

For Eileen and I, any bus ride is too long because, as I stated earlier
we don't do busses.

RCI, we ignorantly booked air through them as well. They flew us into
Ft. Lauderdale and out of Miami (or vice versa, can't remember now).
It was no big deal. Yes, of course they provided the transfers (which
they should, I paid a ridiculously high rate for the air). The big
deal was that they put us on fights with terrible connections (mind
you, we were flying out of Philly, so there was no excuse to put us on
anything except nonstop). We had a four hour layover in Cleveland.
Not fun...especially since it's on the way home.

I'm thinking it would be a logistics nightmare for Carnival to try and
provide complimentary transfers to passengers. Everybody arrives at
different times (even different days).

Don't want their busses. I want them to stick with the advertised ports
of embarkation and debarkation. This is not just a matter of
convenience or transportation fees. Suppose I expected my ship to
return to FLL, where my return flight was scheduled at noon. If they
change the port of debarkation to Miami, I could miss my flight. If I
have to re-schedule my flight, this will cost big bucks. So, IMO, the
whole thing sucks. Wait, I think I see some potential lyrics in my
rambling post. Got to find my old guitar and try this out.

Besides, usually you get better fares to Ft. Lauderdale than Miami
anyway. I'd try to change and see if you can do it without a fee.

Jo-Ann

I'm back Jo-Ann, and I really must say that my lyrics have no potential,
whatsoever. With respect to your suggestion above, I don't have to
change anything, cause I'm in no way affected by the announced port changes.

Howard - who is having a very hard time understanding himself.

Old November 1st, 2003, 02:56 AM
Jo-Ann

I don't think Carnival is doing this without having given it some
serious thought. Remember other problems that have ensued when the
Trade Summits came to town? Not only would it be a traffic nightmare,
but there was a lot of violence a few years back. I'm sure they are
doing it for the safety and well-being of their passengers.