Voltage Converter

Old April 8th, 2005, 04:56 PM
doug

Default Voltage Converter

All,

I need a recommendation for a robust voltage converter. It needs to
convert from 220V/50Hz to 120V, at maybe 200 watts or so. My problem
is that I will use it in the Republic of Georgia in regions where power
is not very stable.

The convert needs to withstand power line disturbances without damge.
Also, I would like to hear from people with personal expereince rather
than the vendors.

Thanks,

-doug

Old April 8th, 2005, 05:26 PM
John Bermont

doug wrote:
All,

I need a recommendation for a robust voltage converter. It needs to
convert from 220V/50Hz to 120V, at maybe 200 watts or so. My problem
is that I will use it in the Republic of Georgia in regions where power
is not very stable.

The convert needs to withstand power line disturbances without damge.
Also, I would like to hear from people with personal expereince rather
than the vendors.

Thanks,

-doug

Doug,

Transformers are relatively heavy duty. It's the equipment that you plug
into them that can be rather tender.

You mention 200 watts. Is that the power required by your equipment? If
so I would recommend a transformer with a significantly higher rating,
maybe double, due to inrush current on startup, especially if you have
more than one item plugged into it.

There is more on my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/electric.htm
and a little more at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap22/living.htm

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old April 8th, 2005, 05:27 PM
doug

In this case we're talking about fairly simple things like an elec.
shaver, CD player, and so on. One device that concerns me is a battery
charger for my digital camera. I've heard some bad stories of
overcharged batteries....

-doug

Old April 8th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Hatunen

On 8 Apr 2005 08:56:53 -0700, "doug"
wrote:

All,

I need a recommendation for a robust voltage converter. It needs to
convert from 220V/50Hz to 120V, at maybe 200 watts or so. My problem
is that I will use it in the Republic of Georgia in regions where power
is not very stable.

The convert needs to withstand power line disturbances without damge.
Also, I would like to hear from people with personal expereince rather
than the vendors.

To some extent the nature of the device is important; it would
help if we knew just what the 200w device is.

Among other things, converters which convert from 50Hz to 60hz
are quite expensive, and for some devices line frequency is
important.

Old April 8th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Bogey0

I live in Germany and use the company below. Their prices are very
good and they can answer all your questions.

http://www.samstores.com/Store.asp?CtgID=30

Old April 8th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Hatunen

On 8 Apr 2005 09:27:37 -0700, "doug"
wrote:

In this case we're talking about fairly simple things like an elec.
shaver, CD player, and so on. One device that concerns me is a battery
charger for my digital camera. I've heard some bad stories of
overcharged batteries....

Be sure to chek whether some of these devices aren't dual voltage
to begin with, and if not it might be simpler to buy some that
are (if we are talking about wall wart type power supplies).

But we've had no problems with the simple voltage converters
available at travel stores and Radio Shack, the ones in the kits
with a supply of assorted adaptor plugs, for instance. Although I
try to make sure my cameras use AA batteries since they are
universally available.

Old April 8th, 2005, 08:51 PM
irwell

On 8 Apr 2005 09:27:37 -0700, "doug" wrote:

In this case we're talking about fairly simple things like an elec.
shaver, CD player, and so on. One device that concerns me is a battery
charger for my digital camera. I've heard some bad stories of
overcharged batteries....

-doug

Most of those devices are already dual voltage,
ie from 220 to 110volts. They will be rectifying
to a DC voltage for things like a camera battery
charger and the built in voltage regulator will do a good job,
overcharging of digital camera batteries is rare as
most chargers that come with camera have circuitry that detects
and shuts off as the battery is topped up.