Seasickness question

Old March 11th, 2010, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Default Seasickness question

My fiance is a little concerned about getting seasick on our cruise.
I've been looking around the internet for those wrist bands, but I can't
seem to find a store that sells them. Does anyone know where I can buy
a pack in an actual store and not online? I'm kind of hoping to return
them after the cruise if we don't need to open the package. Thanks.

Marcia
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sherlock1

If you do not want to get seasick, stay on land.

Ships move!

Some a little, some a lot;

Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot!

Old March 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Marcia R." wrote in message
Rick Valentini wrote:
(Marcia R.)
My fiance is a little concerned about getting
seasick on our cruise. I've been looking
around the internet for those wrist bands, but
I can't seem to find a store that sells them.
Does anyone know where I can buy a pack in
an actual store and not online? I'm kind of
hoping to return them after the cruise if we
don't need to open the package. Thanks.

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

I went on my first cruise last year and bought the sea bands at my local
pharmacy. They cost about $10.

I felt seasick the instant the ship pulled away from the dock. I plan on
taking the bands and some other aids on my next cruise and having an
even better time than my initial cruise.

Rick

Thanks. I was kind of surprised not to see them listed on either the
Walgreens or CVS website, but I'm going over there to check it out. I had
no problem in my one and only cruise, and we hit some rough water that
caused problems for some of the other passengers. My fiance hasn't felt
all that great on the small boats that go over to Catalina, so we're a
little concerned about him. Hopefully, it won't be a problem.

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

Your comment about Catalina triggered a memory from my youth, a long time
ago (1947). Some family friends invited us to go on their yacht to Catalina
when I was about 9 or 10, my first time on the ocean. On the way out, I got
very seasick until I caught sight of the island in the distance. I
immediately recovered and my mind told me the problem was the brain not the
stomach. The only thing that had changed was that I could see land. My
mind told me the ocean and its motion was not the cause. Oh, the logic of a
child. Sixty years and dozens of trips later, I have never again had mal de
mere.

If your betrothed would believe a little kid, mind over matter could save
him a lifetime of bother. Maybe there's some scholarly truth behind this
wonder cure, but for whatever reason, it worked for me. Has anybody else
had this silly idea?

Harry Cooper

Old March 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Marcia R.
wrote:

Thanks. I was kind of surprised not to see them listed on either the
Walgreens or CVS website, but I'm going over there to check it out. I
had no problem in my one and only cruise, and we hit some rough water
that caused problems for some of the other passengers. My fiance hasn't
felt all that great on the small boats that go over to Catalina, so
we're a little concerned about him. Hopefully, it won't be a problem.

The issues on small boats could be sign he might have some motion
sickness issues. I suggest the bonine pills. I am sure they have those
at CVS and Walgreens or any pharmacy.

--
Charles
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
TEP

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/sea...ckness%20bands

Old March 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 3/10/10 8:45 PM, Marcia R. wrote:
My fiance is a little concerned about getting seasick on our cruise.
I've been looking around the internet for those wrist bands, but I can't
seem to find a store that sells them. Does anyone know where I can buy a
pack in an actual store and not online? I'm kind of hoping to return
them after the cruise if we don't need to open the package. Thanks.

Marcia

Charles is right. Bonine. Some additional detail...

I've been on about 40 cruises (plus or minus). I DO have a tendency to
get seasick as did my kids.

We did try the bands for the kids on one cruise. All they do is dig a
hole in your wrist while you still get seasick.

What DOES WORK is the over the counter drug Bonine (generic name
meclazine). It's a mild anti-histamine which just happens to have anti
seasickness properties.

My Doctor recommended it years ago. It works GREAT.

After the first cruise, the next 39 have been on Bonine. One tablet (or
even a half a tablet) taken once a day.

It works so well that it's also used for chemotherapy patients. Plus
it's used for people who at times get an imbalance in their inner ear
and feel light headed (where the room spins).

Seasickness is an inner ear issue. Putting something on your wrist may
make you think it will work, but if it does it's likely because you've
convinced your brain that it will work (similar to placebo affect).

There's also a stronger prescription drug (that comes in the form of a
patch), but it was actually withdrawn from the market for a number of
years, if I recall correctly. My Doctor didn't recommend that.

Some people talk about Ginger. If that works for him, fine. But it
tends to settle the stomach. I don't think it's going to do anything
about the inner ear cause of the problem.

So, with all the options (ginger, bands, Bonine) what the ships actually
have at the purser's desk for passengers who feel seasick is Bonine (or
the generic meclazine) tablets.

Some other points to consider. There are more calm areas of the world.
And more rough areas. The Western Caribbean, south of Cuba, is one of
the most calm areas. If you're there, chances are he won't need much of
anything. The Eastern Caribbean sailings tend to spend more time in the
Atlantic Ocean, which is rougher.

The place I would start is with your fiance's doctor. Or if he doesn't
want to do that, hit the pharmacy for some Bonine, just ask the purser's
desk for something once on board if he starts to feel seasick. They'll
give you generic bonine tablets.

I wouldn't count on the bands though. On the other hand, if you do try
the bands, you can always get Bonine later on board anyway. And it is
over the counter, so you don't need an Rx for it.

--Tom
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:27:57 -0500, "TEP"
wrote:

I was kind of surprised not to see them listed on either the Walgreens or
CVS website

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/sea...ckness%20bands

Some things work better for some people and some things work better
for other people. Mostly when it is tested, ginger comes up as really
providing some benefit, and most other non-pharm things do not. I
keep ginger candy on hand for guests, and my mother used to give us
ginger ale. She insisted on Canada Dry Ginger Ale, which was made
with real ginger at least in those days. I think ginger snaps or
something like that would work too.

The other thing that works is to look at the horizon. That tells your
brain that you are really bouncing up and down. That may be the
source of Harry's epiphany.

But I would advise your fiancee to try any pharmaceuticals out before
he goes on the cruise. He may have a bad reaction to just the
medicine without the motion. My daughter gets seasick easily (as did
my father), and she has to take the medication well before she gets
upset or it does not work.