Golf & Cruise Ship

Old August 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nanzi

Default Golf & Cruise Ship

Yesterday afternoon while watching the golf being played at Liberty in
NJ there was a huge cruise ship in the background behind Miss Liberty.
The camera guys kept panning towards it and the announcers kept
mentioning it. They were obviously fascinated as were we. It was more
impressive when it started it's departure to who knows where. That
thing was huge!!! and there was a gigantic TV screen, a water slide
and many passengers taking in the sight of passing Miss Liberty.We are
planning our first cruise within the next 6 mos. Seeing this ship was
such a treat, ya, ya, ya, it was a cheap thrill, but quite
enjoyable!! I believe it was a Carnival line ship. We're more
excited than before about our upcoming cruise!!
Anyone else see it?
Nan in DE
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Nanzi" wrote in message
Yesterday afternoon while watching the golf being played at Liberty in
NJ there was a huge cruise ship in the background behind Miss Liberty.
The camera guys kept panning towards it and the announcers kept
mentioning it. They were obviously fascinated as were we. It was more
impressive when it started it's departure to who knows where. That
thing was huge!!! and there was a gigantic TV screen, a water slide
and many passengers taking in the sight of passing Miss Liberty.We are
planning our first cruise within the next 6 mos. Seeing this ship was
such a treat, ya, ya, ya, it was a cheap thrill, but quite
enjoyable!! I believe it was a Carnival line ship. We're more
excited than before about our upcoming cruise!!
Anyone else see it?
Nan in DE

Nan, it was the Caribbean Princess...there was a close up shot and I saw the
name. I knew it had the Princess Logo but was not sure which Princess ship
it was until they zoomed in on it. It did look beautiful as it smoothly
sailed under the bridge, didn't it? Made me want to cruise....right away!!!
--Jean

Old August 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

I think that there were actually three of them departing right around
the 5:00 PM time. I saw the Priness name plate but have no idea who the
others belonged to. That, btw, is one tough golf course the pros are
playing,

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Kenn Smith" wrote in message
I think that there were actually three of them departing right around
the 5:00 PM time. I saw the Priness name plate but have no idea who the
others belonged to. That, btw, is one tough golf course the pros are
playing,

One was Caribbean Princess. Another was Explorer of the Seas (she's by far
the biggest of the ships that sailed yesterday). The third was a Carnival
Destiny Class ship (maybe Victory). The one closest to the Statue of
Liberty was Caribbean Princess, as Jean noted.

Norwegian Dawn will probably be on camera sailing today.

--Tom

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"John Sisker" wrote in message
m...

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

"Nanzi" wrote in message
[...]

Caribbean Princess? Maybe I am missing it, but I don't see a water slide
on the Caribbean Princess.

John

There isn't a slide on it... but that's definitely the ship that was in NYC
yesterday at the Red Hook Pier. And that's the one you see from the golf
course just past the Statue of Liberty. Plus, I saw the ship as well on TV
and read the name. They had a number of shots of the statue with the ship
in the background.

--Tom.

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

We also saw the ship,jean said it was princess,but the funnel looked
like carnival.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
We also saw the ship,jean said it was princess,but the funnel looked
like carnival.

Annie,
Tom says that there were several ships leaving NYC at that time...the one
that the announcers on TV kept going to was the Caribbean Princess. Tom also
mentioned that there was a Carnival ship leaving port around the same time
so perhaps that is the one that you and Nan saw. I did not watch the entire
golf tournament...only when Ed called me to come watch when they swung the
camera to the ship's sailing. They zeroed in close up on the Caribbean
Princess logo and sign....so that was that was what I personally saw..
Having been on 45 cruises; sailing on most all of the cruise lines, I am
well aware what the funnels and characteristics are of each brand.

--Jean

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
We also saw the ship,jean said it was princess,but the funnel looked
like carnival.

Please read my post for a list of ships that sailed from NY Harbor
yesterday.

--Tom

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

[...]

Today the Norwegian Dawn and the Tahitian Princess sailed from NY Harbor.
They showed both ships today.

Websites with cruise schedules from sailings from NY harbor:
From Brooklyn:
http://www.nycruise.com/sched_2009_bkn.html

From Manhattan:
http://www.nycruise.com/sched_2009_nyc.html

From Bayonne:
http://www.cruiseliberty.com/cruiseinfo.htm

--Tom

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"John Sisker" wrote in message
m...

Tom,

Thanks for this clarification. Then the ship that 'Nan in DE' saw, with
the water slide, was no-doubt a Carnival ship. It certainly wasn't the
Caribbean Princess as Jean claims.

John

Actually, the ship they kept showing on TV WAS Caribbean Princess. Jean was
correct. All you had to do was read the letters on the ship - Caribbean
Princess. It was docked in Red Hook Brooklyn (where the Queen Mary 2 also
docks), directly across the harbor from Liberty State Park. The Carnival
Triumph was docked in upper Manhattan (miles up river), not down by Liberty
State Park, where the golf course is located. The Carnival Triumph was
shown briefly as it sailed under the Verrazano Bridge. As was Explorer of
the Seas. But the Caribbean Princess was shown for several hours during the
telecast, since it was directly behind the Statue of Liberty. So all shots
of the statue showed the Caribbean Princess.

--Tom