What areas best in Rome?

Old February 6th, 2004, 12:17 AM
PandA

Default What areas best in Rome?

Hi,

I am investigating hotels to stay in in Rome. My wife and I (aged mid 20's)
will be in Rome for 5 nights doing most of the main tourist sights etc.

I have heard in old posts that the Campo de' Fiori area is central to most
things and is still alive at night.

An area close to restaraunts etc would be nice so long as the area isn't to
noisy late that you can't sleep.

Most of the hotels I've been looking ar seem to be in the Spanish steps,
Termini Station, Via Nazionale, Via Veneto and Trevi areas.

I would like to hear where others think is the most convenient location to
stay.

Thanks.

Andrew.

Old February 6th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Cathy Kearns

We liked the Abergo Nazionale on the piazza outside their
state building. It was very quiet (no cars allowed in the piazza
for security reasons) but very close to the Trevi fountain and
the Pantheon or Piazza Navona. Slightly longer walk to
the Spanish Step. Long walk to Vatican or Colusseum.

Old February 6th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Ken Blake

In ,
PandA typed:
Hi,

I am investigating hotels to stay in in Rome. My wife and I

(aged
mid 20's) will be in Rome for 5 nights doing most of the main

tourist
sights etc.

I have heard in old posts that the Campo de' Fiori area is

central to
most things and is still alive at night.

An area close to restaraunts etc would be nice so long as the

area
isn't to noisy late that you can't sleep.

Most of the hotels I've been looking ar seem to be in the

Spanish
steps, Termini Station, Via Nazionale, Via Veneto and Trevi

areas.

I would like to hear where others think is the most convenient
location to stay.

I personally like the areas around the Campo de' Fiori and Piazza
Navona.
Here are two moderately-priced recommendations: the Hotel
Arenula, and the San Pantaleo.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old February 6th, 2004, 01:13 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 00:17:47 GMT, "PandA" wrote:

Hi,

I am investigating hotels to stay in in Rome. My wife and I (aged mid 20's)
will be in Rome for 5 nights doing most of the main tourist sights etc.

I have heard in old posts that the Campo de' Fiori area is central to most
things and is still alive at night.

An area close to restaraunts etc would be nice so long as the area isn't to
noisy late that you can't sleep.

Most of the hotels I've been looking ar seem to be in the Spanish steps,
Termini Station, Via Nazionale, Via Veneto and Trevi areas.

I would like to hear where others think is the most convenient location to
stay.

I can only repeat that the Campo dei Fiori area is much more
convenient than any of the areas you mention. Also the Piazza Navona
area and the former Jewish Ghetto area. All three areas are near each
other, have good restaurant choices, and are near transportation and
within walking distance of most of the things you'll want to see.
There are plenty of hotels, in various price ranges in these areas.

Are you looking at those other areas because you've found cheaper
hotels there? What is your price range?
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old February 6th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"PandA" wrote:

Hi,

I am investigating hotels to stay in in Rome. My wife and I (aged mid 20's)
will be in Rome for 5 nights doing most of the main tourist sights etc.

I have heard in old posts that the Campo de' Fiori area is central to most
things and is still alive at night.

An area close to restaraunts etc would be nice so long as the area isn't to
noisy late that you can't sleep.

Most of the hotels I've been looking ar seem to be in the Spanish steps,
Termini Station, Via Nazionale, Via Veneto and Trevi areas.

I would like to hear where others think is the most convenient location to
stay.

Thanks.

Andrew.

Italy is noisy and unless you get a hotel in the countryside, it is hard
to predict -- ask for rooms on the courtyard or in back and stipulate
quiet and you might do better -- but bring earplugs and accept that
noise like smoke is sort of ubiquitous in Italian cities

I like the Campo de' Fiori area because it is so well situated for
walking to interesting sights -- and does have lots of restaurant
selection

Rome is a fairly compact town for tourists
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:44 PM
PandA

Barbara,

The web site I have been consulting for hotels in Rome (Euroscape) is:

http://www.euroscape-travel.com/book...y=Hotel_Na me

Euroscape is an international hotel booking website based in Australia
(where I am). They don't seem to have a great range of hotels, but they
seem to be reasonably priced.

I would prefer to book hotels either through a licensed Australian travel
company or through the hotel direct where ever possible.

If you can make some suggestions from the range they have (or any others) It
would be appreciated.

I am after the best location I can get for under (if poss) 145 euro per
night.

Andrew

Old February 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:44:25 GMT, "PandA" wrote:

Barbara,

The web site I have been consulting for hotels in Rome (Euroscape) is:

http://www.euroscape-travel.com/book...y=Hotel_Na me

Euroscape is an international hotel booking website based in Australia
(where I am). They don't seem to have a great range of hotels, but they
seem to be reasonably priced.

I would agree that they don't have a great range of hotels. I would
suggest that you try to deal directly with the hotel. Go to:

www.fodors.com

On the left, you will see a list of cities for which you can make a
miniguide; Rome is one of them. Click on "Rome". You will find a page
with tabs for various components of your mini-guide. Click on
"hotels". You will get a list of 106. At the top of the page there is
a link "Customize this list" or something like that. I clicked on
that, and on the next page indicated that I wanted hotels for 75 to
150 euros and in the followin four areas: Piazza Navona, Campo dei
Fiori, Ghetto, and Pantheon. (They're all adjacent to each other.)
Under facilities, click the box "All facilities". Then click "Submit".
You will get a list of six hotels, with reviews, phone numbers and fax
numbers. There are also user ratings you can check.

Of the six hotels, I only know the Arenula, where I have stayed three
times and it is now my favorite Rome hotel. The last time I was there
was in the summer of 2003 and the price was well under your limit. The
only minus is that they don't have an elevator, so pack light.

If you are dealing directly with the hotel, fax is probably the best
way. If not convenient, try phoning during the European daylight
hours. That's when you're most likely to find good English speakers.
Speak slowly and distinctly and in textbook English.

The Fodor's miniguide allows you to make a similar list of restaurants
in your chosen areas and price ranges. I would suggest putting the
same four areas plus Trastevere for restaurants. Trastervere is an
easy walk from the Ghetto and Campo dei Fiori areas, and not much
further from Piazza Navona.