European food cultures

Old April 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:34:21 +0200, nitram wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:36:37 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:24:05 +0200, nitram wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:20:36 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:31:11 +0200, nitram wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:22:57 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to Tim Challenger

So I am now an expert on Greek and
Turkish food culture.

me too, I went to a turkish restaurant once.

Once and only once! :-)

I've had a lot of German/Turkish döner kebabs. Does that count?

Starbucks gives a new meaning to "Home Brewing"
http://www.starbucks.com/retail/brewing.asp

The result looks uncannily like my home brew attempts.

I had yeast poisoning for years after one of my less successful
attempts to brew 100% brew beer. If one kg sugar makes 5% alcohol then

... it turned out very sweet ?

An indication of Dutch brewing was that my Dutch neighbours asked me
if I made my own bread.

--
Tim C.
Old April 13th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:12:26 +0200, nitram wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:55:08 GMT, Deep Foiled Malls
wrote:

On 13 Apr 2005 15:14:10 +0200, Emilia wrote:

nitram wrote in
:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:24:14 GMT, Deep Foiled Malls
wrote:

On 12 Apr 2005 13:11:40 +0200, Emilia wrote:

Deep Foiled Malls wrote in
news:h25m51d2abslgdo3vjsit75snaanp9m78n@4ax. com:

On 11 Apr 2005 17:48:50 +0200, Emilia
wrote:

Deep Foiled Malls wrote
in :

On 10 Apr 2005 17:29:08 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
wrote:

Like China, wheat and spuds in cooler places, rice in warmer
climates. You'll find climate-based food differences in any
country large enough to have different climates. Isn't northern
Italy big on butter and dairy, and the south uses olive oil?

Erm... no, the north is bigger on olive oil that butter. True
they use butter here, but olive oil is far more common.

Now you will find olive oil more common but traditionally butter is
what would have be used.

How do I find that?

What do you mean "how do I find that" ?

Find some italian grandmas and ask them to teach you to cook.

I know what I meant, but the brain to usenet device failed somewhere.

you omitted "that"

"You will find that olive oil is more common ..."

OH! You were correcting my english! I thought you were asking a question!
;o) Maybe we should go take one of Mixi's english classes.

No, I wasn't correcting your english! Martin got confused with who
said what, correcting you instead of me, and that added to the
confused statement I made "How do I find that?".

I was correcting/clarifying your English.

Ah, I see what happened now.

Either way, we go through about a litre of good olive oil every six
weeks or so, but use very little butter.

Incidentally, the best butter I have ever found was in Adelaide.
Farmers Union, in the yellow wrapper. That stuff on toast is utterly
divine. It has a curiously complex flavour, with what seems like a
trace of garlic of all things! Says nothing about it on the packet, so
it must be whatever the cows are eating
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Frank F. Matthews

nitram wrote:

wrote:

Following up to Tim Challenger

So I am now an expert on Greek and
Turkish food culture.

me too, I went to a turkish restaurant once.

Once and only once! :-)

I've had a lot of German/Turkish döner kebabs. Does that count?

Starbucks gives a new meaning to "Home Brewing"
http://www.starbucks.com/retail/brewing.asp

The result looks uncannily like my home brew attempts.

I had yeast poisoning for years after one of my less successful
attempts to brew 100% brew beer. If one kg sugar makes 5% alcohol then

.. it turned out very sweet ?

yes

I used to use Grolsch flip top bottles bought from the local
supermarket for the cost of the deposit.
A batch with less sugar, but again too much when left to mature blew
out the whole lot in one go when the bottle was opened.

I returned the crate with the bottles full and got the deposit back..
It must have given them hell of a surprise in the brewery.

There is probably a terrorism investigation in progress.

Old April 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On 14 Apr 2005 16:10:39 +0200, Emilia wrote:

So we are back to what we were talking about in the first place before
Martin butted in.

Buttered in?

Let me try again: Today, in the north of italy, it might be true that
olive oil is used more than butter. But traditionally, northern italians
used more butter than olive oil.

How can you find this?:

Easily. I asked my wife, and she confirmed that you are in fact
correct. The did use more butter once upon a time, and this can be
seen in dishes like risotto and pizzoccheri.
--
---
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:01 AM
The Reids

Following up to Emilia

Let me try again: Today, in the north of italy, it might be true that
olive oil is used more than butter. But traditionally, northern italians
used more butter than olive oil.

I buy italian butter for my italian butter recipes.
My UK supermarket is full of olive oil, I cook with little else,
but no one would say British cooking is characterised by olive
oil. Many people see a health benefit in olive oil outside its
traditional areas of use.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On 15 Apr 2005 14:35:50 +0200, Emilia wrote:

Well, there you go! I didn't know you had such resources at your disposal!!

These Italian women are wonderful things. I recommend that everyone
have at least one!
--
---