orange juice in England

Old November 10th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default orange juice in England

Reid wrote:
Following up to Miguel Cruz
but it also makes it much easier to guess
the meaning of English words I haven't seen before.

does it make it easier than if you had spent the time learning
the english word you are trying to guess?

Sure - because the several hundred Latin words that I plausibly remember
help me to understand many thousands of English words.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Miguel Cruz

Reid wrote:
Following up to Me
What about Pepsi? I drink cola with breakfast nearly every day, but I
prefer Diet Pepsi. I don't like coffee and I am not a big fan of hot tea
so Diet Pepsi is my drink of choice for supplying me with some caffine in
the morning.

and a load of sugar

In Diet Pepsi?

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/

Old November 10th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Reid

Following up to Miguel Cruz

What about Pepsi? I drink cola with breakfast nearly every day, but I
prefer Diet Pepsi. I don't like coffee and I am not a big fan of hot tea
so Diet Pepsi is my drink of choice for supplying me with some caffine in
the morning.

and a load of sugar

In Diet Pepsi?

Ah yes, "diet", possibly something even worse, then?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Reid

Following up to Miguel Cruz

does it make it easier than if you had spent the time learning
the english word you are trying to guess?

Sure - because the several hundred Latin words that I plausibly remember
help me to understand many thousands of English words.

now that's the most plausible pro latin argument i've heard so
far.
Old November 11th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Reid

Following up to Magda

Try to understand the lyrics of Carmina Burana with only English and German to help you...
Dictionaries not allowed !

There is a translation in my boxed "Trionfi" that does the job
perfectly. Translation becomes an issue when I meet somebody who
speaks a different language.
Old November 11th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Reid

Following up to Magda

... Try to understand the lyrics of Carmina Burana with only English and German to help you...
... Dictionaries not allowed !
... There is a translation in my boxed "Trionfi" that does the job
... perfectly. Translation becomes an issue when I meet somebody who
... speaks a different language.

I didn't say "get a program to do the job for you".
That's not fun at all.

Neither did I. Who mentioned a program?

Fun? I'm not looking for fun, I'm looking for communication. You
are into languages, fine. Have fun. I just want to know what it
means and in this case enjoy the music. I certainly don't intend
to study dead languages to listen to Orff.
Old November 13th, 2003, 01:21 AM
PJ O'Donovan

Marie Lewis wrote in message ...
In article , PJ
O'Donovan writes
, IMO, most sophisticated English words are
French which goes beyond a mere influence.

"Most" sophisticated"?

I thought it was mainly those referring to cooked food.

Words that the English got from the French goes way beyond food items.
Even the English word sophisticated is sophistique in French.
Old November 13th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Anonymouse

Default Costs of drinks --

In the USA, drink prices mostly seem to follow marginal costs. In Europe
soft drink prices are astronomical. Not sure why that is.

in the London Tube I found soft drinks reasonable...dunno why.

but in Paris we ran into things like 12$ "cuba libres" (rum/coke)...

As to the costs of soda it is linked to where you purchase it. Local
sodas from a supermarket are reasonable.

in Paris I usually buy a 4 pack of 1/2 litre cokes at the local
supermarket and cool them on the ledge (I tend to travel in winter)...
in the UK I'm hooked on the range of fruit drinks and the unusual
"crisps" of various sorts...

I'll never forget when my wife got a bag of peanut crisps in Paris
(train station and she just grabbed "a bag of chips and a coke" before
jumping on the train)... she's not fond of peanuts.

ttyl

akia

--
11" LONG DOUBLE BARREL DERRINGER PARTS SET

Old November 26th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Limo Service

I belive the glass situation is not unique to OJ and does elude also to
Cranberry (Rarely available) and Grapefruit Juice.

My suggestion is visit the Local supermarket a Litre of Tropicana is
around £2.00 (personally im a Welshes drinker)

Central Chauffeur

--
Limo Service
Limo Service's Profile: 57